Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Had An Air Frost Yet?

Backtrack

85 members have voted

1. 1. What has your lowest temperature been since September?

Posted

Well I can see the moon, although it seems a bit hazy. There's no wind, and yet again no frost. The lowest this winter is about -2, but that disguises the fact that it has never stayed below freezing for more than about 3-4 hours. The number of clear but non-freezing nights (even near the winter solstice) has been ridiculous. Late Nov and Dec 2010 we managed 3-4 consecutive days below freezing miore than once.....

It's incredible really, I can barely remember any nights in previous winters that have been clear and mild. The last few days in these parts have actually been rather sunny and quite clear at night and yet it has been exceptionally mild.

Amazingly still no air frost in Cheltenham, although I think we will get our first over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Was just looking through all the data from my local station earlier, only 4 air frosts all winter so far, 45 at this stage last year!

Currently 0.7C so it might just about dip below zero by dawn, lowest all winter is -0.3C so far

Posted

We're almost half way through winter and have still only had 2 air frosts here so far. The lowest temperature so far being a mere -0.7C.

Last night missed out again with a min of 1.8C.

The next few nights look promising, but time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No air frosts here at Cleadon so far this month, although last night got down to 0.3C with a white frost on the ground. I did, though, manage one air frost in November (despite it being even warmer than November 1994) and four in December, with the lowest temperature being -1.9C.

I expect at least two or three air frosts over the coming days, although they may well be a case of the temperature just getting one or two degrees below freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Still no air frost here this month, the min' last night was 1.3c. I'm more hopeful about tonight but you never know up here, the slightest whiff of an inversion and it can so easily go belly up.

Best synoptics for air frost here are cold uppers, almost guaranteed even if it's windy with low pressure if the upper air temperature is below about -5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Not as yet.. but tonight its absolutely certain that the first air frost of the winter will be recorded

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Not last night.. it always bugs me when certain places get air frost but others don't for no apparent reason

Posted

not this year so far, perhaps tonight will be the first one?

Posted

For my part 8 miles south of Paris (Orly Airport )we had 2 in december last one on the 19th december and the 2 ones at -2c .

Paris did only get- 0.3c so technicaly a frost but it is the highest night temp ( lowest) so far into the winter.

Getting much cooler than previous nights here but will be hard to get a frost as they annouce clouds over the region tonight.It is partly clear now!!!

i bet for a 1.5c for my area.

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

im at -1.1C now, ive had quite a few frosts during dec, last night was a very slight frost, the first of Jan

Posted

Not sure how many we have seen so far this winter probably between 10 and 15 - so preety poor for this stage in the season. We managed a frost one night last week but it was a ground frost - so until last night we had a long period with no air frost between 19th Dec and 12th Jan, its good to see them returning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm at -2.4C at Cleadon now (which is lower than I expected) so the first air frost of the year is guaranteed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'm at -2.4C at Cleadon now (which is lower than I expected) so the first air frost of the year is guaranteed.

But you already have one TWS!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

-4 here this morn, coldest so far this winter; still a smidge on the grass now.

Btw TM, is that Trout Mask Replica lurking in your avatar?

It certainly is. The pinnacle of human musical achievement in my own humble and heavily biased opionon.

First air frost of January here with the temperature 20 ft above the roof currently -1.0c.

Posted

1st one here also with the lowest since 21/01/11 at -3.6C just o.1C higher than that for last January-all white over and 2 ponds in the back with ice on(well they are small!)

Posted

Third frost for Orly Airport at -1c at 8 am it did not stay under freezing very long .they annouced some low clouds for the area but the sky kept clear all night.A beautiful blue sky now with 0.3c.

Posted

It certainly is. The pinnacle of human musical achievement in my own humble and heavily biased opionon.

First air frost of January here with the temperature 20 ft above the roof currently -1.0c.

All together now "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

-5c at 07.30, nice rime too

Posted

Here in west London it's the first of the winter - well, the window ledges are all sparkly about 18 feet above ground level.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

First time we've dipped below zero this winter (and autumn). Down to -1.4c.

Posted

We go 23 days without an air frost, then the next night gets to -4.0C- such are the ironies that the British weather can produce.