Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms 13th to 16th December 2011 - Part 4

Coast

Posted

No problem mate smile.png

Looks like a malfunction has occurred with that 105mph wind, During the storm on Tuesday the M4 buoy off the NW coast of Ireland reported a gust of 525mph!

Yeah I heard about that one LOL,

Does look odd, abit of a surprise there to say the least,

Down to 992mb temp still 3C /2C dew point

Edited by DavidHB

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

i still think this has a suprise or two in store . pressure 992mb in southampton 10mb drop in 3 and a half hours . anyone still feel this is going to swing slightly north and affect south coast

pressure dropping like a bomb here in southampton

Hi peter....what part of soton are you in? I'm also in Southampton and have noticed the pressure dropping.

I've always felt that we'd still get some pretty strong winds here as we're right on the coast. Not as strong as it could have been, but noticable IMO.

The snow risk for us is there too looking at the latest output, but it is extremely marginal for us. More of a sleet event for the far south IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Just light rain here still - no floaty bits as yet, but heaviest rain yet to arrive which will most likely turn to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Fairly quiet night this far north, hail showers earlier but nothing much to speak of.

Temp 3.1c dew 1.4c

Pressure 990hpa

Wind calm

Posted

Hi peter....what part of soton are you in? I'm also in Southampton and have noticed the pressure dropping.

I've always felt that we'd still get some pretty strong winds here as we're right on the coast. Not as strong as it could have been, but noticable IMO.

The snow risk for us is there too looking at the latest output, but it is extremely marginal for us. More of a sleet event for the far south IMO.

hi mate . i am based at totton by asda ...... west side of southampton ....... we have had a 5mb drop in less than an hour ......... they say 8mb in 3 hours for gales ....... i still have a sneaky feeling that us on the far south coast are going to feel this storm more significantly than many people think ......... unless the eye of the storm passes right over us then we are technically right on the edge of it with pressure like this dropping so fast too .........

Posted

No problem mate :)

Looks like a malfunction has occurred with that 105mph wind, During the storm on Tuesday the M4 buoy off the NW coast of Ireland reported a gust of 525mph!

imagine what would happen if we had winds of 525 mph lol

Posted

hi mate . i am based at totton by asda ...... west side of southampton ....... we have had a 5mb drop in less than an hour ......... they say 8mb in 3 hours for gales ....... i still have a sneaky feeling that us on the far south coast are going to feel this storm more significantly than many people think ......... unless the eye of the storm passes right over us then we are technically right on the edge of it with pressure like this dropping so fast too .........

Yep exactly, i reckon we'll feel the force in some way. I'm actually not too far from you, I'm in the Nursling area which is the west side too. I'm hoping for snow more than anything though, last year around this time was amazing for this area - never seen anything like it since I've been here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

reports from the missus - started pathetic snowing (wet sleet) just to the south of us.

Here we go?

BBC forecast looks good for snow!!

Edited by Buzzard

Posted

Yep exactly, i reckon we'll feel the force in some way. I'm actually not too far from you, I'm in the Nursling area which is the west side too. I'm hoping for snow more than anything though, last year around this time was amazing for this area - never seen anything like it since I've been here.

yes last year was phenominal here ..... back to the here and now though ...... earlier i spoke to a totton policeman who said they had received an email about wind tonight .......... can anyone post the track or movements of the system now ........ you do sense something in the atmosphere tonight ........ my two cats are going nuts around the house here .......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
Posted · Hidden by Alpine glow, December 15, 2011 - Tiny tiny writing !
Hidden by Alpine glow, December 15, 2011 - Tiny tiny writing !

It would be Slán leat Ireland!

It is raining hard and constantly here. I like the look of the latest NAE ~ Even though here right on the coast it shows rain, I have noticed that over the past few years we have done really well for snow when the NAE says we are due rain.

Posted

Feel free to shoot me down, but isn't the drop in pressure where you are due to the low running right next to you? and also that strong winds flow anti-clockwise so there wouldn't be any wind??

Or do I have that wrong? :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

It would be Slán leat Ireland!

It is raining hard and constantly here. I like the look of the latest NAE ~ Even though here right on the coast it shows rain, I have noticed that over the past few years we have done really well for snow when the NAE says we are due rain.

Posted

No thanks!! We would be blown into oblivion, your house would be flying through the sky faster than Dorothy's leaving Kansas!

Posted

yes last year was phenominal here ..... back to the here and now though ...... earlier i spoke to a totton policeman who said they had received an email about wind tonight .......... can anyone post the track or movements of the system now ........ you do sense something in the atmosphere tonight ........ my two cats are going nuts around the house here .......

I believe the centre of the depression will be passing over your area which is where the lowest pressure will be and also the calmest winds. :)

The strongest winds are on the southern side of the low.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Feel free to shoot me down, but isn't the drop in pressure where you are due to the low running right next to you? and also that strong winds flow anti-clockwise so there wouldn't be any wind??

Or do I have that wrong? :sorry:

i am no expert :) just like to watch and learn ...... i once heard that a drop of 8mb or more in 3 hours indicated gales .......... the low is running right next to us ...... i have always been led to believe that the edges of the low ........... where the isobars are tightly packed bring the strongest winds .......... the atmosphere is certainly saying something here i believe .........

Posted

No thanks!! We would be blown into oblivion, your house would be flying through the sky faster than Dorothy's leaving Kansas!

It would certainly be on par with Hiroshima & Nagasaki, that's for sure

Edited by DavidHB

Posted

You can clearly see an empty circle over SW Cornwall on the latest rainfall radar - that's where the Low centre is roughly...there are winds gusting 90mph over NW France - Channel Islands getting a battering too

Strongest winds are always to the south of the centre...its southern flank

Also remember to find your nearest Low pressure stand with your back to the wind (from the direction its blowing) and its on your left ;)

Edited by MR CB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Too scary to think about Lol. Could you please pop your location in your profile so we know where your weather reports are coming from.

Thank you :D

Posted

You can clearly see an empty circle over SW Cornwall on the latest rainfall radar - that's where the Low centre is roughly...there are winds gusting 90mph over NW France - Channel Islands getting a battering too

So close yet so far! arrggh oh well im happy with what we got on Monday Night :good:

Posted

Observations currently over France using XC weather wind map.

Winds gusting 50-60mph with one location up to 66mph.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/FR/observations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days,warm or snow

The British shipping forecast has gale warning for all south west areas incl. the english channel,(Plymouth,Portland and Wight) storm force 10 and (edit ) severe gale force.

eg. link http://www.metoffice...ml#All~Portland

Edited by Cloud Khaos