IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January 2012

Liam J

Posted

. unless they know something we dont lol

quite likely quite a lot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

As that Squall line is approaching the wind is getting stronger and stronger and the gusts much more frequent! Hold tight London!

Whilst I see the extreme weather in the North and Scotland, just concentrating on the SE at the moment (as I'm here!) this looks to continue now and maybe wind up a little yet:

30_25.gif

and yes, flights in and out of major UK airports will be 'fun' :

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_LL-TURBULENCE-STANDARD_24.gif?{ts%20

Not too worried about London getting hit by that Squall, it never happens when it gets to London. Coast, the busiest arrival into Heathrow (LAM3A) from Europe (Amsterdam way/Brussels way) is running at 35 minute delays on average. The London TMA is also on red at the moment indicating >45 minute delays or more. EGLL arrivals - due to weather (strong wind), the reduced rate regulation EGLLTC03 has been extended until 1600 UTC. Delays are up to 180 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all types!

Wild here... Stopped raining but very windy!

Posted

Glasgow Bishopton gusting 91mph, Edinburgh Airport gusting 81mph. These winds will stay around for a while as the pressure gradient is also passing underneath the sting-jet 'head.'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Not really windy here anymore

Posted

looking at the radar looks like some wild weather heading east this morning great when i got go for a medical for me new job !! and i got go about 15 miles in wild suffolk at the moment

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Definitely not a good day for bin collection. Awful morning here.

Posted

Not too worried about London getting hit by that Squall, it never happens when it gets to London. Coast, the busiest arrival into Heathrow (LAM3A) from Europe (Amsterdam way/Brussels way) is running at 35 minute delays on average. The London TMA is also on red at the moment indicating >45 minute delays or more. EGLL arrivals - due to weather (strong wind), the reduced rate regulation EGLLTC03 has been extended until 1600 UTC. Delays are up to 180 minutes.

Interesting Robbie, just wondered if there are any BNN1A/B delays and what do you reckon the wind shear risk is at EGLL?

Posted

net weather just put out a tornado alert

ENGLAND and WALES

Active cold front crossing SE across England and Wales this morning is increasingly likely to force line convection along its length, more particularly across southern England and East Anglia later this morning as a very strong jet max catches up with the rear flank of the cold front which will enhance lift along the front. Given increasing vertical and speed shear along front, bowing line segments may develop along the squall line capable of producing damaging wind gusts (60-80mph), particularly near the south coast, as strong low-level jet winds descend with convective downdrafts. In addition, GFS indicates up to 30 m/s of low-level shear across southern counties of England and East Anglia, some low-level instability/LL CAPE is also indicated along the cold front which maybe sufficient for rotation to develop within stronger updrafts in bowing line segments and hence a risk of a tornado or two- perhaps even a strong tornado. Therefore have issued a slight risk across much of England and Wales for a risk of damaging wind gusts and perhaps risk of an isolated tornado and a Moderate Risk for damaging wind gusts with a risk of a strong tornado across southern counties of England including East Anglia. Risk of damaging winds and tornadoes should subside this afternoon as cold front clears east over the near continent.

could this be 1987 for the east the radar looking very nasty at the moment

Posted

been very blustery here all morning with some powerful gusts, seems to be getting stronger now with sideways rain!

Posted

Interesting Robbie, just wondered if there are any BNN1A/B delays and what do you reckon the wind shear risk is at EGLL?

6 a/c currently holding at BNN, FL80-FL150 about 30-45 minutes considering there's 6 at LAM, 4 at BIG, 6 at OCK.

Are you inbound to Heathrow today? I would say quite a significant risk if it's varying, I'm not sure at the moment as I can't reach the Tower's frequency and not sure if directors telling aircraft of any risk.

a Pilots are warned, when landing on Runway 27R in strong southerly/south westerly winds, of the possibility of building-induced turbulence

and large windshear effects.

b Similarly, Runway 27L arrivals may be affected by winds with a strong Northerly component. Building-induced turbulence may be

experienced at the mid sections of each runway from winds with a strong Southerly, or strong Northerly component.

When a pilot reports wind shear, this must be passed to inbound and outbound aircraft until the report appears on the ATIS. Reports should contain the following information:

• Warning of the presence of wind shear
  • Height or height band and time the wind shear was encountered
  • Details of the effect on the aircraft

At current they are Landing 27L, but one flight is now TEAM'd on 27R, I'll let you know if he goes around!!! Whats amazing is they are flying 160knots IAS indicated, but getting a GS of 101 knots at the moment lol! One of the a/c in LAM, when it's holding and being blown by the wind it's GS is 347kts! Compared to into wind being 200knots - I wouldn't want to fly today, moderate/severe turbulence!!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

Heathrow:

post-6667-0-02374500-1325583389_thumb.jp

Expected shear:

hir_stp_eur9.png

blwindshear.curr.1330lst.d2.png

Posted

Heathrow:

Expected shear:

I am guessing this upper shear? As most of Heathrow's windshear is building induced due to it's location/design!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Insanely windy, gusting between 70-80mph, chaos.

Posted

Definitely shear for Heathrow & Gatwick today given the runways orientation and the sudden turn in winds from southwesterlies to directly west through the frontal passage. Icing I imagine would also be another factor as behind the front the freezing level drops to 500m with a 5'c drop for ground obs.

Posted

coast looked at the radar possible tornado line forming near cardiff up to norwich

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Similar to CatchMyDrift, very very windy for about 45 minutes but now it's just your bog standard windy day - how I wish I was in Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It got a bit exciting here shortly before 0900 with a gust of 86 mph which picked up a large metal water tank ( about 4'x4'x4' and weighing about 60kg ) from the adjacent farm and carried it about 80 m before it crashed into a stone wall.

There were several other gusts of 68-72 mph over a period of about 5 minutes befor it all calmed down again by 0905.

It's the highest gust here since January 2007.