IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well passed through a heavy RAIN shower in Edinburgh as short time ago - temp still too high sitting about 4.5C Not good. Was a nice icing sugar dusting on the Pentlands this morning but nothing to report other than the winds are blawing. Fedup waiting on some really insipirational charts today so i'm sitting down with a cuppa and a shortbread (maybe too much of the red wine yesterday!)

Welcome all new posters, this is a fab thread with some great banter, lovely to have you on board. :gathering:

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Seriously SERIOUSLY not happy and in fact dead miffed. I WANT SOME SNOW!! :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Got texted by a pal and his son who were enjoying a pint in snowy Aviemore having got that far on the choo-choo before finding the ICT v Saints game was off. Those going by road will be worse off. I believe that it is down to 10 mph in places with snow lying from Dunkeld Northwards.

Game off due to slush on the patch I believe. It was said to have been playable at 9AM though.

Here cloudy with moderate rain showers. 3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Warm welcome to our new posters,no pun intended as it's baltic here, hope you enjoy your time on the Kilted Thread and Net Weather.

Fantastic Image of the UK from this afternoon and you get a real feel for the depth of this system..

Original

post-7292-0-73597800-1325519693_thumb.jp

Edit / Zoom

post-7292-0-40820100-1325519852_thumb.jp

Courtesy of -

NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

Been a lot of rain/sleet this afternoon, and fairly heavy at times.....but not a hint of a proper flake (the chocolate or precipitation variety)....

Posted

It was quite entertaining to see the Northern Scotland debate on the Model Thread. "Blizzards, in Northern Scotland, who cares as no one lives there" was the call by some of our southern friends. No matter where it snows, if a severe snowfall happens it's bad!

Let's take London for example - 2cm snowfall, the buses stop, the trains stop, the planes stop, the economy stops, the schools stop. Life comes to a standstill.

Now How about a 1ft to 3ft snowfall in the Highlands with drifts. An isolated hamlet near Altnaharra is freezing at -20C. There's many of these hamlets, the locals can't get their food, miles and miles of roads are blocked, there's the risk avalanches and there left in the harsh wilderness.

So now, we should have a look at the populations of the areas that have got an amber warning for tomorrow and the places of Northern Scotland.

Argyll and Bute - 89,000

Stirlingshire - 90,000

West Dunbartonshire - 90,600

Perth and Kinross - 150,000

Angus - 110,600

Aberdeenshire - 245,800

Aberdeen City - 217,100

Highland - 221,600

Moray - 87,700

Western Isles - 26,200

Orkney - 20,100

Shetland - 22,400

TOTAL = 1,371,100 People

That's Larger than:

Buckinghamshire - 740,000

Cambridgeshire - 790,000

Cumbria - 490,000

Derbyshire - 1,000,000

Devon - 1,100,000

Dorset - 710,000

East Sussex - 770,000

Gloucestershire - 860,000

Hertfordshire - 1,100,000

Leicestershire - 950,000

Linconshire - 1,000,000

Norfolk - 830,000

Northhamptonshire - 690,000

North Yorkshire - 1,100,000

Nottinghamshire - 780,000

Oxfordshire - 650,000

Somerset - 920,000

Stafforshire - 1,100,000

Suffolk - 720,000

Surrey - 1,100,000

Warwickshire - 530,000

West Sussex - 800,000

Worchestershire - 560,000

Take that!

Welcome all new posters, this is a fab thread with some great banter, lovely to have you on board. :gathering:

There's still some Scots on here waiting to join the fun!

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted

Apparently it's pretty barren here. As well as wet.

From this side of the Firth its not been to barren looking this last few days with several giant rigs in the Firth lit up like Cristmas trees persumebly sheltereing from the winds a 700 cow dairy unit just below us again lit up like a christmas tree and with the lights of several towns not to mention the five windfarms we can see at all points of the compass.Currently 1c here and a wet snow shower

Heavy wet snow shower just now with lots more to the west and ground over 600 feet round about solid white.Currentlly 1c and the radar to the west looks loaded and in another hour or so it may be dry snow again here. Snow still lying in lots of north facing areas

Looks as though it might get interesting overnight so loading up extra neeps and double bedding folds with dry straw from the sheds.Aurora Storm may be stuck here for another day with the Olds if The A9 catches it tonight

Never mind an excuse to go to Inverness tomorrow to catch a train possibly and give the winter tyres a good test.

Posted

Had a wander up the Lowther Hills near Leadhills in the Southern Uplands today to walk off some Christmas over-indulgence - a dusting of snow above about 600m with a few quite large drift remnants (presumably from pre-Christmas) in sheltered spots and an icy wind giving a wintry feel. Frozen ground above about 450m giving nice crisp walking conditions. Sleety showers on the M74 but some snow flurries and one heavier snow shower on the hills. A long way from a winter wonderland but was nice just to feel a bit of bite in the air again after the mild mush over Christmas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

It was quite entertaining to see the Northern Scotland debate on the Model Thread. "Blizzards, in Northern Scotland, who cares as no one lives there"

Take that!

I thought it there were only a few 'goat herders' up there. Oh, and HC.

To be honest, I'd keep quiet about our snow. Greedy I know, but best keep it all to ourselves.. :lol:

Had a wee, 30 second shower of something wintry about 20 mins ago. Otherwise just cold with wind picking up.

Posted

Brrr, feeling bitter out there.

:cold:

Just look at this monster tracking in ..

post-7292-0-44090000-1325525472_thumb.jp

Copyright2012 RSGB, University of Bern and NOAA

Posted

The meto/BBC are going for the front turning to snow as it moves in tonight, quite a large area of white on the map around the central belt! Some areas of the Southern Higlands could end up with rather a lot of snow by this time tomorrow night if everything comes off as forecast. The 80mph winds will whip it around as well.

Looks like there is a problem up at Drumochter from the traffic scotland cams as well, huge traffic jam?

Oh, and welcome to our new members. Glad to see more of you posting - this is the friendliest thread on netweather so certainly the best place to start out. I don't think I've deleted a single post in here this winter :)

The meto/BBC are going for the front turning to snow as it moves in tonight, quite a large area of white on the map around the central belt! Some areas of the Southern Higlands could end up with rather a lot of snow by this time tomorrow night if everything comes off as forecast. The 80mph winds will whip it around as well.

Looks like there is a problem up at Drumochter from the traffic scotland cams as well, huge traffic jam?

Oh, and welcome to our new members. Glad to see more of you posting - this is the friendliest thread on netweather so certainly the best place to start out. I don't think I've deleted a single post in here this winter :)

It just looks white up there, only one set of headlights? Maybe just slow moving traffic. Certainly a little snowy :good:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I don't think I've deleted a single post in here this winter :)

Arise Mondy, arise! We miss you!

I think there was a jam earlier as I saw the traffic at Drumochter too. Cleared not long after.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

The last shower had some proper snow at times.

Latest model runs up to the 15th don't look all that promising. What is promising that there's another 45 days of winter left after that! I hope that GP's and RJS's thoughts end up being spot on but does anyone here believe that they'll be right?

The front meeting cold air tonight will result in a lot of snow falling on the higher ground just north of the central belt.

The last shower had some proper snow at times.

Latest model runs up to the 15th don't look all that promising. What is promising that there's another 45 days of winter left after that! I hope that GP's and RJS's thoughts end up being spot on but does anyone here believe that they'll be right?

The front meeting cold air tonight will result in a lot of snow falling on the higher ground just north of the central belt.

As far as I'm counting winter only started on the 21st Dec, apart from being spoilt the last few years December is usually not that snowy. Since it can and will snow as late as May I think we've got plenty of time left to be hit by a huge dump of snow.

The Atlantic conveyor cannot last forever. My money is on GP being right and there are early signs of a pattern change according to the expertos!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Everything is showing hints of some more wintry weather/cold weather and i'm optimistic that GP is on track with his oberservations and predictions.

Lets say in the New Year my glass is half full.

Posted

Everything is showing hints of some more wintry weather/cold weather and i'm optimistic that GP is on track with his oberservations and predictions.

Lets say in the New Year my glass is half full.

I would say GP and RJS have been in the ball park most of the time over the last few years, certainly better than average strike rate.

I would say GP and RJS have been in the ball park most of the time over the last few years, certainly better than average strike rate.

You mean better than the average guesser? Very few people except the two you mention and a small handful more really know that much more than any of the rest of us.

Posted

You mean better than the average guesser? Very few people except the two you mention and a small handful more really know that much more than any of the rest of us.

I would add Chionomaniac to that list - the Stratospheric modelling has been a great long lead over the last 2 winters, and again this year the elements of change from Warming waves mid December are helping create the pattern flips we see now. GP is all over the composites and the MJO analog work is proving consistency beyond even his expectations.

I would add Chionomaniac to that list - the Stratospheric modelling has been a great long lead over the last 2 winters, and again this year the elements of change from Warming waves mid December are helping create the pattern flips we see now. GP is all over the composites and the MJO analog work is proving consistency beyond even his expectations.

Absolutely lorenzo, I didn't want to start naming names as that always ends in disaster :rofl:

Posted

Just took over 5 hours to get up the A9 from Edinburgh. An absolute tonne of snow at drumochter and by this time tomorrow there will be much more by the looks of it. Got around 10 cm cover here. Looking forward to what could be a snow fest in the next 24hrs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Didn't quite mean to create a mini debate on the model discussion thread about the population of Northern Scotland but it couldn't be helped. The reason that such a void is becoming apparent between many people in Scotland and the south of England especially is due to just how apparently clueless they are to our existence.

Below is my home in the frozen and baron wasteland that is the Scottish Highlands.

5301792886_db912d0568_b.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry, cool and sunny

The snow gates on the A93 at Glenshee were closed at 16.30 today.

It is getting quite windy here and has started to get cloudy too so may get some snow tonight.