lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

eased off a bit now lets hope its peaked

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

colleagues at work are reporting 3 of our trains have been hit by trees with one igniting at westerton in Glasgow! stay safe folks and seriously dont travel!

Posted

Oh ya beesom! This is much worse here than bawbag, the gusts are shaking the house, bins on the road, debris flying everywhere. Temp is currently 6.5c and pressure is 955. Lights also flickering like mad and sky is freezing constantly. The gusts are very sustained, I am so glad I am in the house.

Why the heck did the MetO leave it so late AGAIN to issue a red warning?! People are going back to work today and should not be travelling in such conditions.

Stay safe everyone.

Unbelievable!!! Bawbag was just a gentle breeze compared to this. Just arrived in the office and was literally struggling to walk across the car park. Genuine fear of debris flying around when i got out. If anything, its getting stronger here (West Edinburgh)

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Just heard on BBC Breakfast that gusts at Edinburgh Airport have topped 102mph??

Posted

Forth Road Bridge closed, where is the Red warning for this storm?? Far more powerful for the Central Belt than the storm which the met office put a red warning out for a couple of weeks ago!!!

Gusts must be easy topping 100mph in Edinburgh this is unreal !!!

Posted

Forth Road Bridge closed, where is the Red warning for this storm?? Far more powerful for the Central Belt than the storm which the met office put a red warning out for a couple of weeks ago!!!

red warning was issued at 8.15 this morning, way too late for those travelling to work.

Posted

Gusts must be easy topping 100mph in Edinburgh this is unreal !!!

There is one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Nothing says Embra airport is closed, but nothing's landed or taken off since before ten past seven this morning...

This is seriously unsettling weather. This is the wrong coast for a 92mph westerly...

Posted

FALKIRK M9 NORTHBOUND - There's one lane blocked on the M9 northbound between junction 8 the M876 Hill Of Kinnaird and junction 9 the M80 at Bannockburn, because of a fallen tree

STIRLING M9 SOUTHBOUND - The M9 is partially blocked southbound between the the A9 Dunblane Keir Roundabout and junction 10 Craigforth, because of an accident involving lorry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Nature's Happy New Year to Scotia has arrived. This storm is a stoater. Way worse than Bawbag for Embra (and the Central Belt). Better late than never with the Red warning, Met O. Roll on the McMet Office...

Pressure now reading 964mb here. Rate of fall has slowed in the past hour. Temp has fallen from 10.2c at 7am to 6.9c by 9am. Bins over, stuff blowing around everywhere, tv aerials are jigging on the rooftops, etc. Stay safe, everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I was surprised at how bad this was when I woke up this morning, worse than predicted surely?

Tay bridge is shut, so I'm staying in the house till it is over.

A lot worse than what I thought I'm afraid, though it is particularly hard to predict just how windy it will get. My rain gauge is now hanging from the shed roof and a large container in the field opposite has blown over. According to the NMM the worst is still to come for the east coast. However, it is odd that on the NMM it doesn't look any more severe gust wise than what bawbag was progged to be, from what I remember. Met Office reporting 102mph gust at Blackford Hill,Edinburgh now http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_latest_weather.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I see the Met office, have put out a red warning, a bit late a lot of people out and about already!!

Forth Road Bridge gust of 106mph any truth in that??

Well the Forth road bridge website is now a bit broken I think as it's insisting it's averaging 11mph with a maximum gust of 12mph which seems unlikely!

If this is another sting jet, then have I got it right that they typically come up almost out of nowhere and what was expected to be some strong winds is transformed in a matter of a few hours into part of the jet stream coming down into surface winds and powering massive forces?

If so then kinda not really the MetO's fault for not spotting it yesterday before it developed, surely?

I may have misunderstood that... it was what Bawbag was, wasn't it?

Posted

Met Office reporting 102mph gust at Blackford Hill,Edinburgh now http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

That must have been the gust mentioned on Breakfast. Pretty incredible, I was struggling while walking to work early this morning and gusts would have only been around 45mph!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Highest gust so far recorded here is 67.2 with pressure steady at 962mbs wind WSW. News 24 just said it will peak here before 12 noon? At the moment, has calmed down slightly and lights have stopped flickering. Scary stuff!

Posted

wow simple wow .. awesome in the old meaning of the word ...

Had a failed trip to Glasgow for work . got as far as Port Glasgow before trains went off .. wandered about trying to find a bus/taxi to retreat to Gourock..

nearly got blown off my feet a few times. thankfully found taxi ,, trip back was scary the river was flowing into battery park .. and on my street someone has lost half their roof !!

Everyone please stay safe and lets hope this is last the last storm for a while

Cheers

Craig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well the Forth road bridge website is now a bit broken I think as it's insisting it's averaging 11mph with a maximum gust of 12mph which seems unlikely!

If this is another sting jet, then have I got it right that they typically come up almost out of nowhere and what was expected to be some strong winds is transformed in a matter of a few hours into part of the jet stream coming down into surface winds and powering massive forces?

If so then kinda not really the MetO's fault for not spotting it yesterday before it developed, surely?

I may have misunderstood that... it was what Bawbag was, wasn't it?

Sting jets are pretty tough to predict, but it seems to be the mechanism for most major wind storms. I reckon there's probably a much more in depth discussion into this on the atlantic storms thread though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

very very strong winds here since about 4am. Didn't even know this was forecast , so was a bit surprised. Wind currently buffeting the side of the house , fearing for the aerial and the roof tiles