Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Didn't quite mean to create a mini debate on the model discussion thread about the population of Northern Scotland but it couldn't be helped. The reason that such a void is becoming apparent between many people in Scotland and the south of England especially is due to just how apparently clueless they are to our existence.

Below is my home in the frozen and baron wasteland that is the Scottish Highlands.

5301792886_db912d0568_b.jpg

Waw, the sheep have houses and lights?? Amazing :rofl:

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Didn't quite mean to create a mini debate on the model discussion thread about the population of Northern Scotland but it couldn't be helped...

Below is my home in the frozen and baron wasteland that is the Scottish Highlands.

5301792886_db912d0568_b.jpg

What is it they say Northern Rab - any publicity is good publicity? I appreciate your point, I am hopeful it creates more visitors to the thread.

Excellent photo really like that one !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Northern Strath how were the road conditions - glad you made it safely home.

I think to be honest our lovely home of Scotland is often perceived as being in the back of beyond to some others But even my inlaws think we live in the back of beyond(The sticks) and they live in Edinburgh!!!!

Nowt as queer as folk is a common saying used !!

Anyways what are folks current weather conditions?? Photos please if you have snow i'm having some withdrawal here in the sticks!! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The last shower had some proper snow at times.

Latest model runs up to the 15th don't look all that promising. What is promising that there's another 45 days of winter left after that! I hope that GP's and RJS's thoughts end up being spot on but does anyone here believe that they'll be right?

The front meeting cold air tonight will result in a lot of snow falling on the higher ground just north of the central belt.

7-10 days is generally the range that you'd say any given operational run was reasonably reliable. After that, it's a mixture of pattern matching with background features to create composites and using ensemble guidance to look at the most probable outcome. The stratosphere and the mjo as lorenzo said are playing ball at the moment, but it will take until at least mid month before we start to see how this affects the day to day charts and then of course the weather on the ground. Be patient - it may not work out as well as many of us predicted but it's too early to say whether it will or won't yet. So far those forecasts you mentioned have turned out pretty well - there's no reason to believe they will be any less accurate for the rest of the winter.

Posted

It's 4c here (still), am getting sick of typing that. I even re-set the ws just to check! Wind isn't too bad, and still nae snaw, nae rain, nae nothing.

Have seen/heard the reports of 10mph on the A9 and massive tailbacks. Hope anyone who was on it is back home safely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

been rain sleet snow here all day....regularly turning to snow when precipitation at its heaviest....has only ever lay on the windscreen....currently 2,2c with rain and has been as high as 4c today....electronic road sign on entrance to village says warning blizzards tomorrow....i presume it means up the A9...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Well, Poots, I'm getting sick of typing '2C and sleet'. Tomorrow is back to outdoor work for me so I have just been checking weatherproofing of various bits of kit - all in order. Got piece made, flask ready, shovel, headtorch, survival bag, whitle, condom, spare clothes, etc. I might have to add a snorkel...

Aye, and that's a cracking photo, NR. 5* work.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

whistle, condom, spare clothes, snorkel...

If you don't mind me asking, what is it exactly you do HC? Sounds interesting....

EDIT. In fact, maybe I should leave that where it is. :winky:

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Well, Poots, I'm getting sick of typing '2C and sleet'. Tomorrow is back to outdoor work for me so I have just been checking weatherproofing of various bits of kit - all in order. Got piece made, flask ready, shovel, headtorch, survival bag, whitle, condom, spare clothes, etc. I might have to add a snorkel...

Aye, and that's a cracking photo, NR. 5* work.

Is bear grills in there aswell

Posted

The last shower had some proper snow at times.

Latest model runs up to the 15th don't look all that promising. What is promising that there's another 45 days of winter left after that! I hope that GP's and RJS's thoughts end up being spot on but does anyone here believe that they'll be right?

The front meeting cold air tonight will result in a lot of snow falling on the higher ground just north of the central belt.

The next few days looks preety wintey for scotland with only shortlived milder uppers - places with a bit of height look likely to receive some preety large snow amounts - tomorrow will deliver some large dumpings to the highlands.

Longer term - NW-SE tracking jet scandi troughing looks on the cards - a superb synoptic for scotland and snow and the second half of the winter looks like being much colder and therefore possibly much snowier than the first half.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some inspiration ffor those of us returning to the 'Salt Mines' tomorrow

(Includes Bagpipes) is Retro

Posted

Northern Strath how were the road conditions - glad you made it safely home.

I think to be honest our lovely home of Scotland is often perceived as being in the back of beyond to some others But even my inlaws think we live in the back of beyond(The sticks) and they live in Edinburgh!!!!

Nowt as queer as folk is a common saying used !!

Anyways what are folks current weather conditions?? Photos please if you have snow i'm having some withdrawal here in the sticks!! :winky:

Sorry Snowy Owl, my laptop has been on the blink. As Poots correctly stated the A9 was down to 10mph. Could'nt see the road at times. Similar story for tomorrow by the looks of it but with the high winds the A9 will be a joke in some places. Will maybe post some pics of the snow tomorrow if I can

Posted

Sorry Snowy Owl, my laptop has been on the blink. As Poots correctly stated the A9 was down to 10mph. Could'nt see the road at times. Similar story for tomorrow by the looks of it but with the high winds the A9 will be a joke in some places. Will maybe post some pics of the snow tomorrow if I can

If you are needing a lift anywhere, I'd be happy to pop up and get you :whistling:

Community spirit and all that....

Posted

If you are needing a lift anywhere, I'd be happy to pop up and get you :whistling:

Community spirit and all that....

I'll bring him down from the north - see you at Drumochter.... (seeing might not be quite right unless we have radar)

latest NMM shows all ppn up here to be snow - which is a change from the 12z which showed much rain. Could be an interesting days checking the trees but at least it looks like the core will pass straight over so the wind won't be a problem.

I remember one of these a while back where I read this thread and post after post was saying gales - yet here, at the core, it was one of the calmest days for ages - the firth like a mirror for a few hours and smoke going straight up. Quite a day that was for a very different reasons.

Q for a weathery person: dewpoints clamped to air temp tomorrow?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Any estimates on where the snaw line will be and how far south. Temp here remains @3C but the wind has dried out a lot of the surfaces. I know there was talk that the further south the storm tracks the better the chance of some snaw further south.

Posted

Any estimates on where the snaw line will be and how far south. Temp here remains @3C but the wind has dried out a lot of the surfaces. I know there was talk that the further south the storm tracks the better the chance of some snaw further south.

I think it's too far north for places south of the Highlands unless you really high up...

Posted

Well it's currently raining in Aviemore.

Posted

Some nice photos taken in Glencoe today on the blog section of the Scottish Avalanche Info Service (link below). A good amount of snow accumulating in the West Highlands even before tomorrow's storm:

http://saisglencoe.blogspot.com/2012/01/winter-returns-to-glen-coe.html

Posted

I'll bring him down from the north - see you at Drumochter.... (seeing might not be quite right unless we have radar)

Ok, setting off now... :lol:

Uppers look ok at times apart from when the warm sector passes over.

T950's are not so good though south of the highlands.

Classic marginal event which will be either very wet or one hell of a dump for higher, particularly northern areas.

Will be some 'latent cooling' around for sure....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

latest NMM shows all ppn up here to be snow - which is a change from the 12z which showed much rain. Could be an interesting days checking the trees but at least it looks like the core will pass straight over so the wind won't be a problem.

I remember one of these a while back where I read this thread and post after post was saying gales - yet here, at the core, it was one of the calmest days for ages - the firth like a mirror for a few hours and smoke going straight up. Quite a day that was for a very different reasons.

Q for a weathery person: dewpoints clamped to air temp tomorrow?

Pretty much yeah, with non stop precipitation humidity will be around 90-95%, so really areas with temperatures starting above 1C will be reliant on that 'latent cooling' or it will just fall as rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Have heard several bins and one smash of glass in last half hour. Bits of branch fair hurtling down the street too. Very few bits of fence left to come down now fortunately.