Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted

Yes, take care people and watch out for flying wood, sheds, cows etc.

It does seem like a very severe system and the red warning looks appropriate if a little belated to be completely useful.

Edit: HC I think out turn may come later, the wind while still relatively light is slowly starting to pick up here.

Edited by doctormog

Posted

Well, it's a wee bit breezy oot there! Much worse than Bawbag. The whole house is shaking. Not much that isn't tied down is going to survive this. :help:

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16385049

The BBC have got a page out on the severe weather. I think the news and met office have a bit far with blizzards as the uppers were not cold enough for snow in many places and really any snow was confined to rural, high up places further north. Still, it's a distraction to the main and most dangerous weather that's out there today!

Posted

Glad i'm not due back to work till tomorrow. Safe journey to all those who have to go out this morning. This is my worst kind of weather. Scary stuff! Does anyone know how long this will last? Its definitely worse than Bawbag. Slates have come of my new roof and bins are fllying down the street. Got my wind up radio & torch and camping stove looked out incase power goes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Hang on in there, glasgow-guy... [where's the emoticon for Big Reassuring Hug?)

That's the Forth road bridge closed completely now. And that wind graph's off the top of the chart.

This is way worse than Bawbag was here. Lying in bed this morning took me back twenty years to the last time I travelled by sleeper-train, as I lay there with the bed gently rocking and shaking. Luckily everything's still tied down or weighted down...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Well just had the most horrendous gust of wind - every person in our row of houses has lost most of their fence in that one! Rabbit huches etc in garden across are blown over or leaning to the side.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Hang on in there, glasgow-guy... [where's the emoticon for Big Reassuring Hug?)

That's the Forth road bridge closed completely now. And that wind graph's off the top of the chart.

This is way worse than Bawbag was here. Lying in bed this morning took me back twenty years to the last time I travelled by sleeper-train, as I lay there with the bed gently rocking and shaking. Luckily everything's still tied down or weighted down...

thanks i could crawl into a corner and cry right now iam shaking that bad

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Ha! I've just realised that my relatives in Fife are in South Africa right now. They lost the roof of their stables in May and perhaps it could be happening right now! Being 400ft asl makes things even worse and there's nothing higher in between them and Edinburgh. Considering the angle of the stables and the wind, I would imagine that they are greatly underthreat. I do wonder how the horses are doing there!

Posted

Hey, you got company here, glasgow-guy, and remember no storm can last forever, so it will ease off if you can just wait it out, pet. (Big Reassuring Hug)

Not entirely sure I'll be setting off today after all! My bonnie lies over the estuary, my bonnie lies over the Forth, my bonnie lies over the estuary, the bridges are closed heading north....

Think the Forth rail is still open, and maybe by early afternoon it'll have eased. Well, it had better have eased 4-5 hours from now or there'll be no Embra left!

Posted

I've noticed that sleet has been reported in Stornoway and Aultbea. This seems to suggest that an impressive temperature drop. Although the wind is still constant and gusts are still bad, it's not quite as bad as earlier.

Posted

Bleepity bleep bleep bleep! [insert swearwords of your choice _HERE_]

92 mph recorded at the Forth road bridge.

*92*???? On this side from a westerly???

Strewth...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Very bawbaggy this morning! Lights are flickering here too, but thankfully staying on. I feel for any of you that have to commute this morning, driving in these conditions gives me the heebie jeebies!

Posted

I was surprised at how bad this was when I woke up this morning, worse than predicted surely?

Tay bridge is shut, so I'm staying in the house till it is over.

Posted

The tay road bridge doesn't have a live link to their weather station, but the local radio (pretty well informed) says gusts have topped 100mph.