Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Glad to hear it, glasgow-guy - you got off lighter than us! Been up to look and it seems when the window-frame was wrenched out of its hinge, it lifted part of the roof above and on both sides and moved some way down the slope, meaning a whacking great gap above the buckled frame for rain to pour through; plus plasterwork inside the room cracked both sides across a good ten foot. From the garden, the roof is hummocked-up all round the ex-window.

Phoned our handyman to get our name in the queue for tomorrow :)

this certainly will be remembered as a windy winter glad your safe though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Yikes!! tried posting earlier but to no avail - although power was up and down anyway! Was very scary earlier as the gusts really really bad, in fact much more scary than Bawbag ever was.

Dads greenhouse is a write off - frame is beyond repair never mind the glass.

My neighbours greenhouse has suffered loss of roof glass and its shattered everywhere. I thought at one point the neighbours hut was on its way into our garden!

Our cowl has come off an extractor pipe but other than that we are surviving. Not going outside as it's too dangerous, we've had large flying sheets of polystyrene fly past and hit our wall and batter of our vehicles and various other bits and pieces. Our part fence is still down from the last winds so glad we didn't bother to fix that yet!!

Hope you are all staying safe, so sorry to hear about the damage caused BM, hope the winds subside soon.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Power's off here.....again. Stables damaged, trees down, hens missing, plaster torn off. A real mess.

The last few storms in November and December barely got above gale force here, but this one was more like the one we had last May.......which was still worse as it had these kinds of winds sustained all day rather than a brief morning fury.

Interestingly, my weather station recorded mean wind speeds of just 5mph at 6am. 62 minutes later it was blowing at 70mph. Came out of nowhere. Is that unusual, does anyone know?

Posted

Barely a breath of wind at the mo on Isle of Lewis, although it was a bit breezy earlier. Snow all gone at lower levels, but feeling damp and a cool 3 degrees c. The hills still have a nice coat of the white stuff.

My heart goes out to you folks on the mainland..... we know that sinking feeling of seeing bits of roof airborne only too well. Maybe the jetstream is slowly drifting south. With luck it will give our friends south of the border some of that "interesting" weather they've either been missing or praying for.

Posted

wind becoming gusty again with rain hopefully not a second front

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Whoocha - was not expecting the winds to be this strong. Thankfully fort SS weathering the storm (touches wood) ok. Gonna have to have a word with the owner of the holiday cottage next door; needs to remind occupants to put the wheelie bins away. Contents scattered to the four winds at the moment....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

wind becoming gusty again with rain hopefully not a second front

Shows up well on Rain Today. Is the scorpions tail disappearing into the North Sea the sting jet area?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by Norrance

Posted

yeah think so or squal line as i think its known

ps heavy rain sky really threatning

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Currently...

Temp 3.4oC

Dew 1.3oC

Wind Chill -6oC

Rel Pressure 987.3mb

Abs Pressure 953.1mb

Wind Av 19.9mph

Gusting 34.1mph

Rain Last 24 Hours 14.7mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Please no more wind/hurricaine force gusts - thank you. Cor scary!!

Posted

Jeez, this has caused some serious damage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16392381

Sympathies to those affected. Keep safe all.

Posted

had to put the light on in the room its getting really dark also the rain is really coming down now looks like we are going to see a bit of everything today

Posted

Jeez, this has caused some serious damage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-16392381

Sympathies to those affected. Keep safe all.

My heartfelt sympathies also to all those affected with this.

We now have the rain, lashing down and it's very dark.

Posted

So easily the strongest winds of the procession of storms this winter - and only an amber warning at bed time last night. Nobody prepared for this this morning - was just supposed to be 70-80mph gusts...

Anyone know why? Did the low deepen suddenly, or its track differ? Going to do some online investigating.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I don't like to write winter off at this stage. However there is a pattern..Atlantic storms and mild uppers. This dominated the weather since the end of November till now. Looking ahead the pattern is similar. So at the moment it is more of the same not much snow or real cold prospects. Plus when it does snow higher up it is too windy to get on the ski slopes. This weather is really no use to anyone. It might just be one of those crappy winters that we have to grin and bear. :sorry:

Posted

I don't like to write winter off at this stage. However there is a pattern..Atlantic storms and mild uppers. This dominated the weather since the end of November till now. Looking ahead the pattern is similar. So at the moment it is more of the same not much snow or real cold prospects. Plus when it does snow higher up it is too windy to get on the ski slopes. This weather is really no use to anyone. It might just be one of those crappy winters that we have to grin and bear. :sorry:

heavy snow late march perhaps?

Posted

Everyone here seems to be writing off winter and RJS and GP.

are you writing winter off?

Posted

I'll write of winter in late march...

Horizontal rain now mixed in with the gales here - lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Worst storm for the central belt since the Boxing Day storm of 1998, according to the weatherman on Radio Scotland's weather special programme on now. Gust of 102mph recorded @ Blackford Hill.

Am hearing the Met O's reasons re why it only issued a red alert this morning. Interestingly, the Irish Met Office had a red alert in force from Ne'er Day.

Perhaps it has a different alert scale.

Posted

NO! I'm leaving it to the experts. And beyond the mid January - remember that there' still 45 days of winter left and a Spring.

And guess what? IT'S SNOWING!

Yep, I can confirm that there are some white chunky flakes mixed with the rain and lots of wet snowflakes landing on the car! My 14th Day of Snow this winter and my 2nd of the year! It's been a good winter here, it's just a question of how good it will be.

Posted

Sleety mix now, very raw in the wind. (Sky fixed and roof still in tact, although a lot arn't)

PS Turning more to wet snaw... :good:

Edited by Cheggers