Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted

Dark, dank & wet here. Roll on tomorrow.

I second that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

In response to a winters tale

5 days of falling snow

1 day of lying snow

Maximum Depth half a centimetre

I will try and link profile to map later at home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yeah but bawsting with what?

Burns are bawsting here - much more of this and the Balck Isle will...blub blub blub... sink without trace,

How can it still be raining? I love wet and windy weather but even I am becoming sick of this nonsense. It started raining in about Octobor and doesn't seem to have stopped, apart from when it snowed a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: It's been raining so much that I've started spelling October with three "o"s

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

The rain feels like it has been relentless for weeks this winter (not to mention the damp summer :sorry: ).

Looking at charts and met-o warnings it looks like the South West of Scotland is in for plenty more winds through this evening and into the night - although less severe in intensity than yesterday. Stay safe and warm - and for the rest of us it looks like more rain all night. Anyone have any localised flooding or risk of?

Posted

i have just seen a cyclist :rofl: it is still raining

14.4 mm today

32.8 mm the month

979.8 mb falling

Edited by ivy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I've been looking through some of the maps from the Met-O which show the UK climate summaries, well worth bookmarking this link as it's a good source of information:

http://www.metoffice...te/uk/anomacts/

Some of the rainfall totals for the west of Scotland are immense, absolutely incredible.

Over 2000mm last year for most of central and western Scotland - an average of over 5mm a day! That's about as much as Singapore gets in an average year..

The rain feels like it has been relentless for weeks this winter (not to mention the damp summer :sorry: ).

Looking at charts and met-o warnings it looks like the South West of Scotland is in for plenty more winds through this evening and into the night - although less severe in intensity than yesterday. Stay safe and warm - and for the rest of us it looks like more rain all night. Anyone have any localised flooding or risk of?

SEPA Floodline link:

http://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

great link - thanks (I used to work for the EA in England, before I became a mummy, so I should have thought to check SEPA :blush: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Wet here but nothing more than a mm or two. Temp 5.7C.

Re future changes has anyone read John Holmes forecast in the in-depth thread from Jan 2nd? I feel that JH is more cautious than the NW forecasters GP for example but he too seems to be leaning towards a pattern change and possible colder conditions either from HP moving up to Greenland or troughing to the NE [i think]. Maybe something to keep an eye on as he was spot on prior to last November's cold spell.

Posted

Absolutely miserable day here half dark, wet ,cold ,4c and a strong SW wind .Everything soaking wet and taking down the Chrstmas tree didn"t lighten the mood any.

.Cows went out to neeps filled up their tums and ran back in the fold and sat down on the fresh straw. Who says animals don"t appreciate shelter and a dry bed.

Similar story here, dreich as hell, a cold cold wind and a start to the snow melt, 3.8C now, a depressing affair all round. Hear what you are saying about the animals, got a border collie pup that's usually desperate to run out round the house but this last week you have had to crowbar him outside to do his business

Edited by Northern Strath

great link - thanks (I used to work for the EA in England, before I became a mummy, so I should have thought to check SEPA :blush: )

You can bet that someone somewhere on here will have a link to anything you could ever want weather related, if you've got young kids then that's reason for not thinking straight.

I've checked the forecast for tomorrow and there's a strange yellow circle with lines round it forecast, does anyone know what that might be? It's got me stumped.

It looks like this:

post-2844-0-99798600-1325702166.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Snow: one half-day, c.1cm, in December, otherwise no lying snow and no falling snow. ie NAE SNAW!

2011: outstanding weather event - when a tiny part of south Edinburgh got, I heard on radio next day over two inches of rain in under 30 minutes. Literal cloudburst, quite extraordinary. Frightening though yesterday's 102mph wind was, that deluge was the only time I genuinely thought I may die, as the thunder was a continuous 20-minute burst; cat and I crouched in safest room (structurally) and the ground shook the whole time. The noise was incredible. A few hundred yards away, flash floods gave three foot of water, and shops on a steep hill had floods. A friend living on a notoriously steep hill reported the water flowing past, up to the numberplates of parked cars.

2012: outstanding weather event thus far - 102mph gust hitting our house!

I am not too bothered by the rain. Rain I can live with (other than that cloudburst...) but I just wish it would stop being so violently windy. It feels like it gusts to 40-50mph two to three days a week and feels like it has done forever...

Posted

Re future changes has anyone read John Holmes forecast in the in-depth thread from Jan 2nd? I feel that JH is more cautious than the NW forecasters GP for example but he too seems to be leaning towards a pattern change and possible colder conditions either from HP moving up to Greenland or troughing to the NE [i think]. Maybe something to keep an eye on as he was spot on prior to last November's cold spell.

Was slightly surprised that Alex Hill of the Met Office has just suggested on Reporting Scotland that we are stuck wiith this wet and windy pattern of Atlantic lows 'for the rest of January'. I hope not!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Posted · Hidden by Hairy Celt, January 4, 2012 - didn't quite work out!
Hidden by Hairy Celt, January 4, 2012 - didn't quite work out!

post-2844-0-99798600-1325702166.gif

WTF is that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well rained here today, another dull one. But i'm going to be Optimistic - had a healthy apple and as i'm being good and thinking positive i am sure that there will be more snow!!! - lol you gotta try something to get snow!!! and start cutting down on the cake!

As for snaw well i can only recall one day with lying snow of about 3cm - the one and only time i've used my snow shovel!!!!!!!!!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Should have added - 6 mornings with lying snow here in December 2011 - none in January so far! The max depth about 6-7cm on the morning of 5 December.

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow lying days here - 2 I reckon? Both were no more than about 2 mm in depth (that's right, mm).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ok, where's SS and his ark - we need it soon.

It's firewood now - blew away during bawsting. Back to the drawing board.

Guess what, cold, windy and wet here.

ECM 12Z looking better than the GFS 12Z which seemed to put the model thread on suicide watch.

More of the same at best marginal stuff associated with brief colder polar maritme incursions: but again towards the end of the run we see something more interesting. Certainly models keep wanting distruption/splitting of the vortex to occur:

http://hw.nwstatic.c...npsh500.216.png

http://hw.nwstatic.c...ecmt850.216.png

http://hw.nwstatic.c...ecmt850.240.png

http://hw.nwstatic.c...npsh500.240.png

EDIT. With AO in negative teritory, will the NAO follow?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

I did, I believe there were two mechanisms he outlined by which we could get a block set up to our north - troughing moving southeastwards into Scandinavia allowing height rises in the mid Atlantic and eventually Greenland e.g. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1981/Rrea00119811207.gif or the Azores high ridging north and linking with rising heights towards the arctic e.g. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120091211.gif .

Posted

Was slightly surprised that Alex Hill of the Met Office has just suggested on Reporting Scotland that we are stuck wiith this wet and windy pattern of Atlantic lows 'for the rest of January'. I hope not!

I tend to ignore any weather discussion on Reporting Scotland as I find they are on a different planet.

46mm of rain for me in the last 24 hours with back roads starting to flood.