Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - New Year

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

. Met Office reporting 102mph gust at Blackford Hill,Edinburgh now http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

We've just lost our first roof window - big cast-iron Victorian skylight in what used to be my bedroom and I'm a hefty lass and it takes both hands to raise it, hinged at the top, two foot by one foot - now lying flat aginst the slates above it, glass everywhere. We've jsut closed off the room and piled pillows around the door on the landing side and left it.

We're 85 foot lower than Blackford Hill but there's nothing between it and us, our attic windows look straight at it. So I'm guessing we jsut got hit by 102mph as well.

Frightening. Mum's gone back to bed and Dad's telling me to calm down :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

kingston bridge closed in glasgow, not sure ive heard of that before with the wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

We have someone's window frame, complete with glass (now broken all over our lawn) in the back garden, wine bottles, cans etc rattling down the road, bins and assorted rubbish racing up and down the village, lights flickering, roof slates sliding, windows rattling and house groaning. Also large sheets of corrugated metal from the coal yards's building are being torn off. Goodness knows where those will end up; they could take someone's head off or do serious damage to a car or one of our houses. We are now being hit by a vicious squall so I'll hit send as am not sure how long our power lines will stay up. All quite scary.

Posted

EDINBURGH AIRPORT - ALL FLIGHTS CANCELLED

M74 - The M74 is CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS between junctions 7 Larkhall and junction 13 the A(M74). . . . . . . . CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS NORTH AND SOUTH

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

kingston bridge closed in glasgow, not sure ive heard of that before with the wind

Apparently, it's closed due to an overturned lorry. Shows how bad this is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Currently having a 'debate' with the Met Office's Twitter person on Twitter about whether or not their red warning was issued too late. We will have to agree to differ. Now, if their red alerts service for Scotland was only as speedy as their Twitter response... :whistling:

Posted

EDINBURGH M9 - The M9 in Edinburgh at junctions 1a Kirkliston and junction 2 Old Philipstoun is CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS

All train services have been suspended.

Posted

Surreal here as flat calm and sunny. Dreading the wind arriving later ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Gusting over 80mph in town so I assume that there have been higher winds on the bridge. Mother-in-Law in Newport told to stay indoors as people blown over in the street. Power down there too.

Windchill must be pretty high out there. Temp is 3.8C. Pressure rising slightly to 963 mBs.

Posted

Surreal here as flat calm and sunny. Dreading the wind arriving later ....

I agree. It is really like being in the "eye" at the moment. Hopefully it won't be as severe here later as we should not have the Sting Jet component. I would prefer if it stayed like this though! Pressure is on the rise here now - up to 956 from a low of 955mb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Has the forum been overloaded this morning lol? Wind has been skirling away here - eerie!

A question for a pro, but when should the worst of this have passed us on the east side? By lunch? It keeps lulling and then picks back up again at the mo.

Posted

Has the forum been overloaded this morning lol? Wind has been skirling away here - eerie!

A question for a pro, but when should the worst of this have passed us on the east side? By lunch? It keeps lulling and then picks back up again at the mo.

Dunno, but I hope it's soon as we don't want to lose any more windows or bits of roof, thanks!

It feels slightly less powerful just now in Embra Suburbia, but still bloody strong. Just went out to back to look at lost window, seems the wrench of it twisting the top-hinge has lifted slates all round the cast-iron frame, previously-smooth stretch of slates now has big hummock raised up and slates slithering, we have a sinking feeling about cost of replacement...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

pressure risen from 964mb to 970mb. Strongest gust was 71.7mph. I'm assuming that's the worst of it over now.

Up from 963 an hour ago to 967 here now. Temp up a degree to 4.7C and skies clearing. Still gusting though but perhaps not so strong now? Av windspeed at DSRS site fallen to 38mph so well down on earlier.

Posted

Not sure I can add to what people have already said but we been living here for 15 years and I never seen tiles been blown from the roof before! Wowie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

I dont know about anyone else living on the west coast, but I am serious;y getting fed up with this wet windy cold rubbish being thrown everyday in my direction. I will be glad to be away from Skye! So much for the perishing winter some peeps had forecast.

Posted

Pressure is starting to rise here now but temp has fallen back to 4c. Still blawing a hoolie mind, but it's not as bad as an hour or two ago.

Having probs getting on here as well, keeps timing out on me :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Drive to work today was interesting!

Trees, debris, traffic cones.

Strongest of the storms by far !

Posted

Still a little blowy but compared to earlier it's tranquil calm now. Some storm which is not going to be forgotten anytime soon

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

all is calm now no structural damage :good:

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

all is calm now no structural damage :good:

Glad to hear it, glasgow-guy - you got off lighter than us! Been up to look and it seems when the window-frame was wrenched out of its hinge, it lifted part of the roof above and on both sides and moved some way down the slope, meaning a whacking great gap above the buckled frame for rain to pour through; plus plasterwork inside the room cracked both sides across a good ten foot. From the garden, the roof is hummocked-up all round the ex-window.

Phoned our handyman to get our name in the queue for tomorrow :)