Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very windy here now, westerly winds averaging 30-35mph with gusts reaching 50mph or so.

50-60mph gusts widely over north and west Scotland.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Mean speed here is still around 35 mph and the highest gust 61 mph. The funneling effect must be contributing to the very high speeds reported at Brierlow Bar 16 miles away where there have been several gusts over 80 mph and one of 88.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Glencoe ski resort just recorded 111mph on their weather station

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Strange old day max gust 52 mph so far yet when I got home home from my walk it was just 7 mph. It's now averaging 20 mph again

Posted

Official stations recording gusts in excess of 70mph over NW Scotland & Isles, mean speeds close to Severe gale 9. Higher stations experiencing storm force winds, Violent storm F11 Cairngorm, Storm F10 Great Dun Fell.

Top gusts - Cairngorm Mountian recorded 111mph, Great Dun Fell Cumbria 91mph, Glen Ogle 76mph, South Uist range 71mph.

http://www.weatheron...t&DATE=--&CEL=C

Gusts of 50-55mph here and at only 6.5c it's feeling pretty raw.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Very surprised to see Buxton recording 88mph this morning at 7.30am, I knew it was blowy but not that blowy. Still gusting just below 60mph past 2.30pm.

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

I'm sure there must be a funneling effect at that site in strong W/NW winds as it often records speeds well in excess of other nearby localities. I'm only 16 miles away at a similar altitude and the highest gust here was 61 mph up to when I left for work at 0930. Even at the Cat and Fiddle, which is about as exposed as you can get, the gusts were only into the mid 70s.

Posted

Quite an impressive 88mph gust at Buxton this morning, however it is over 1000ft ASL but still impressive. Not familiar with the area but from the info you guys post (thanks) It experiences funnelling and can record much higher wind speeds than other local areas.

Widespread gusts of 50-60mph over N Britain even inland, locally 70mph over a few low level stations.

Recorded 61.7mph here in the last hour, a bit unpleasant trying to get about atm.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Another windy morning, westerly winds gusting to 50mph here, a few locations have recorded 60mph.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Little area in the central/Eastern portion of the UK that might see something 'beefy' currently:

hir_stp_eur9.png

hir_srh_eur9.png

hir_gusts_eur9.png

Posted

Windiest spell for a long time gusting 66 mph in short bursts before calming down again.

Posted

Strangely no weather warnings from the met office.... In fact nobody seems to have one.

Posted

The winds are below warning criteria Pit, Can't see any gusts much higher than 60mph apart from the stations on top of mountians or 60-65mph over the western Isles. Not quite as windy as Saturday.

Most gusts are around 40mph or so away from the N & W.

Peak gusts this morning

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Well I'm imaginging it then average wind 28 mph gusting to sixty and more here regularly. Bloody noisy as well. I'll wake up in a bit. I wonder what TM is getting .

Posted

Top gust at Buxton 62mph earlier, yesterday it recorded a gust of 88mph.

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

Max speeds here this morning, Westerly mean 41mph Gust 59mph.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Calmed down a bit now just gusting over 50 mph average still 29 mph though. Wheelie bins on the march on the road outside though. Not bad as they will have bene lifted out of someones garden to get there.

Posted

Much windier here than yesterday. The mean speed at 0900 was 52 mph with a gust of 86 mph.

I'm at work now so I don't know what the mean speed is but it doesn't seem to have decreased much. It certainly hasn't increased as Mrs Terminal was under strict instruction to notify me if there were any higher gusts after I left and I haven't heard anything.

Then again she may be outside lashing down the roof with rope and just hasn't had time to call.

Posted

Much windier here than yesterday. The mean speed at 0900 was 52 mph with a gust of 86 mph.

I'm at work now so I don't know what the mean speed is but it doesn't seem to have decreased much. It certainly hasn't increased as Mrs Terminal was under strict instruction to notify me if there were any higher gusts after I left and I haven't heard anything.

Then again she may be outside lashing down the roof with rope and just hasn't had time to call.

TM is not happening we're dreaming it. Anyway thank you for confirming I'm not dreaming.

Posted

Pit, why do you keep saying you are dreaming this up? All I used for my posts was the data from official stations. I have never once implied you were making this up and I'm sorry you thought that. As always in these situations local funnelling and the lee wind effects will occur, but the Meto won't issue warnings for a small local reports when the affects will be deemed small for the majority. Thats not to say it isn't actually happening.

I did see the link to the Sheffield weather station in your signature which clearing did report gusts over 60mph this morning.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

It's in my signature

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Gusts of 35mph. Seems so much more than that.

Posted

Seems like Chesire has had a bit of blow as well damage to some roofs according to my neighbours sister.

Anyway dying down here just mid forties now. Quite nice to have lunch not having to listen to the spolit brat next door screeching the wind drowned her out.

Pity Weston Park doesn't make it's station available on the web that would be interesting. Woodhead pass closed to high sided vehicles still I see.

Posted

The wind has decreased considerably in the last couple of hours, highest gusts now in the low to mid 40s.

Several cyclists reported being blown over on the High Peak Trail earlier today and a couple of walkers said similar on the nearby moors.

As a keen cyclist myself I wouldn't have ventured out in conditions as they were this morning, but then all my cycling is on the road rather than off road trails.

Edit; I've just looked at the Brierlow Bar site south of Buxton and, strangely, they've recorded their highest gust of the day, 63 mph, around 1430 this afternoon whereas in this area the wind was much stronger this morning.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Not surprised they got blown over. The high peak trail has plenty of very exposed parts interspersed with sheltered sections and without any warnings or guide on the strength of the wind people could well have misjudged the conditions.

Also the wind earlier was varied quite a bit in short period of time. The first gust of 65 mph was followed by a period of weather where the wind average 19 mph which lasted half n hour before increasing again to average 28 mph then another quieter period before settling down to average the upper twenties for the rest of the morning.