Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted

Wind has now finally calmed down so the 48 hour onslaught draws to a close in this part of the country. The sustained Wind of the past few days will live long in the memory, unless of course it gets top trumped by another system later on this season.

Posted

Hello'all

A quick turn on here as am still at work and been also very windy here in Paris. At Roissy Airport which is about 20 miles Northwest of Paris a gust of 62.25 miles! not bad really! .The strongest gusts around 2.30 PM . but still quite windy now but probably less than earlier.

Funny though about one hour ago we had a fairly strong gust with a clear sky ( was out with a colleague who was on smoking break out).

When on my lunch break in the most exposed streets among the tall buildings it was really stormy!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Slowly dying down thankfully should be able top catch up on some sleep tonight. Looking at XCweather and GFS suggests we're going into a fairly quiet spell for the majority of england. Scotland and Northern Ireland may get the odd 50 mph+ gust this weekend and Monday.

Posted

Don't want to put that on again (not the thread for it anyway) but to reassure you folks some here also wonder why Météo-France ( metoffice equivalent) did not put some areas in yellow ( first alert)

Also for Corsica tonight , they( Météo-France) are annoucing possible 125 miles gusts on exposed capes especially for North Corsica .Sorry this does not concern the Atlantic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Wind has now finally calmed down so the 48 hour onslaught draws to a close in this part of the country. The sustained Wind of the past few days will live long in the memory, unless of course it gets top trumped by another system later on this season.

Is this the windest start to any year ? Just one large fence post down so far. Will wait for a windless day to put it back up, June 23rd looks good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Highest gust between 0900 and 1300 was 73 mph at 1055. Highest since then has been 58 mph at 1425 and by 1800 it was gusting to 49mph.

Excitement over for a while by the look of the GFS 1200.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Had a wander down to the end of the garden this afternoon and found a fully grown, mature conifer had been snapped clean in half by the wind. It's currently laying across the top of our workshop, fortunately another tree broke it's fall so the workshop appears to be undamaged; going to be a pig of a job to clear but on the bright side, it's all extra firewood.

All quiet here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hi Ruthie. Welcome to Netweather, I seem to recall you posting on 'another' wx website in the past. Were you one of the many 'lost in the recent upgrade' ?!

Ive just recorded my highest ever gust speed in what is a small and very sheltered garden. 65.4mph. While I doubt the accuracy it will be interesting to compare it with the official Northolt reports later. I can certainly confirm it has intensified here again in the last hour or so.

. Helllo yes that was me on the other weather website! And yes I couldn't log on after the upgrade!! I should email one of the guys to help as they are all helpful, I've not got round to it yet. This evening here in brentford it is still gusty at times. I use the bird feeder swinging in the wind as my gauge, not very scientific !!

Posted

^^ Have you tried since Ruthie ? The site seems to have settled down now. You might have to re-register initially. I only managed to get back in with the help of one of the admin guys on there, as you say, they are helpful.

Your bird feeder wind guage is probably almost as accurate as my aws if my readings this afternoon are anything to go by !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well I got woken up by the wind around 5:00AM as it was making an ocassional rumbling sound. I looked outside and could see trees swaying quite a lot.

Top gust in the mourning was 43mph, but there were frequent 35mph-40mph+ gusts. It was a bit worrying actually when I was standing in the garden getting ready for school, I saw some twigs fall off of a 40ft Ash in our garden.

Coming home from school today it looks like I must of had a 46mph gust as I checked my weather station. This probably happened around 9:00AM to 12:00PM when I was in my Art lesson and could here the constant sound of the wind wacking against the windows. And I think this must have been when the winds were at there peak. 46mph by the way is the highest wind reading I have recorded yet on my weather station.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted

About 115 miles gust recorded in Cap Sagro in Northern Corsica and at the opposite on the west in Cap Béard Port- Vendres nearin 96 mile gust

Very impressive tonight in the south of France.

hope they are all inside.

dee10933578fec6e11712b2846344b49.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

About 115 miles gust recorded in Cap Sagro in Northern Corsica and at the opposite on the west in Cap Béard Port- Vendres nearin 96 mile gust

Very impressive tonight in the south of France.

hope they are all inside.

dee10933578fec6e11712b2846344b49.png

Wow that's pretty rough Jean, this was associated with the depression that crossed Britain, was there suitable weather warnings in force?

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/IT/observations

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Yes it is associated with it.

But Météo-France did forecast well values in Corsica but in the South west corner they did underestimated the values : http://www.infoclima...reel.html#carte

you can see pretty nasty gusts in a large south.

What is also noticeable is the foehn effect that comes with it.

Edited by jean91

Posted

Here it goes http://france.meteof...gilance/Accueil

They have shut down all sea crossings and all flights to and from Corsica since afternoon.In fact there is no way to go to Corsica but swim for the time being!!!!!

Below some gusts in kilometers though!!!!!

france_se.png

Edited by jean91

Posted

Yes it is associated with it.

But Météo-France did forecast well values in Corsica but in the South west corner they did underestimated the values : http://www.infoclima...reel.html#carte

you can see pretty nasty gusts in a large south.

What is also noticeable is the foehn effect that comes with it.

I see what you mean Jean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Here it goes http://france.meteof...gilance/Accueil

They have shut down all sea crossings and all flights to and from Corsica since afternoon.In fact there is no way to go to Corsica but swim for the time being!!!!!

Below some gusts in kilometers though!!!!!

france_se.png

Very high winds for that part of the world, over 105mph in gusts. I certainly wouldn't like to be having a Winter holiday in Corsica or SW France right now!

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Britain counts cost of strong winds

(UKPA) – 11 hours ago

Strong winds have returned to Britain, bringing trees crashing down on to roads and power lines, disrupting travel and causing millions of pounds in damage.

A woman and a 10-year-old boy were taken to hospital after a tree fell on their car outside a primary school in Hertfordshire and two other people were injured when damaged overhead cable equipment smashed a window on a train near Ely in Cambridgeshire. All four sustained minor injuries. A lorry driver was also taken to hospital when an HGV overturned on the A1 at Leeming in North Yorkshire. Meanwhile, four people were trapped in a house in Chingford, east London, when a tree tumbled down in front of it.

Schools and roads were closed in other parts of the country and thousands of homes suffered power cuts after cables were brought down. Wind speeds reached 112mph overnight at Great Dun Fell in the Pennines - the highest wind speed recorded this week. The Association of British Insurers estimated the damage caused since Monday to be worth tens of millions of pounds. Storms earlier this week claimed two lives - father-of-three Christopher Hayes, 51, who was killed when a tree crushed his parked van in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and a crew member on board a tanker that was hit by a large wave off the coast of the south Devon/Cornwall border.

In North Yorkshire on Thursday, several lorries were blown over in high winds and North Yorkshire Fire Service was called out to localised flooding at homes in the Skipton area. Crews were also called to two incidents of cars trapped in flood water. Norfolk County Council said it dealt with 200 incidents on the county's roads overnight as gales and rain brought trees, branches and a power line down. And motorists suffered delays of up to two hours on the M25 because of the closure of the Dartford Crossing's QEII Bridge for much of the day. The high winds also led to a series of disruptions to rush-hour train services across the country, with trees on the line causing delays in a number of areas and overhead line problems causing further disruption.

MeteoGroup said parts of northern England, Scotland and the north of Wales had seen the windiest weather. Forecaster Lindsay Dovey said: "It's been pretty blustery around the country but the winds eased off a bit in the afternoon and will continue to ease off overnight."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gLmdNG8Q201ubft4YauRGucSLlHg?docId=N0798701325745475699A

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Any snow yet? Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Is it me or is that wind getting up again? I can hear things rattling around again outside.

Just seen this, windy with gales in the north

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Edited by SparkleS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Came across this on the web, apparently happened on Tuesday in Scotland during the storms. Don't know how true it is but made me chuckle! :rofl:

Disclaimer: It contains a naughty word so think before you click