Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just had a look back through my records and the only days in the last 35 years with higher gusts than last night were as follows;

Jan' 25th 1990; 96 mph

Jan' 23rd 1993; 93 mph

Jan' 18th 2007; 92 mph

Jan' 20th 2005; 90 mph

Yes and note the trend.

It's as though our autumn and winter this time around has reverted by the zonal flows of th 90's and noughties.

FWIW I only recorded a 42mph gust in the early hours but did achieve 54mph the day before.

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

There were some very strong gusts late on Wednesday evening and through Thursday morning. Here are some of the strongest recorded gusts so far: High Bradfield: 93 mph; Capel Curig: 87 mph; Shap, Port Ellen: 82 mph; Keswick: 78 mph; Dundrennan: 76 mph; Leeds/Bradford Airport: 75 mph; St Bees Head, Magilligan: 70 mph; Scampton, Linton-on-Ouse: 69 mph; Aberdaron: 68 mph; Wattisham: 67 mph; Langdon Bay, Weybourne, Ronaldsway: 66 mph; Southampton, Solent, Isle of Portland: 62 mph. Issued at 1100 on Thu 05 Jan 2012.

Posted

If you have look at the travel news section of bbc website for Norfolk and Suffolk then you will see chaos on roads. Multiple closures for tree falls/ fallen cables/ concrete blocks on roads yet nothing warning wise.

The Met Office clearly need to be more reactive when issuing warnings sometimes using more real time data!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/suffolk

Posted

If you have look at the travel news section of bbc website for Norfolk and Suffolk then you will see chaos on roads. Multiple closures for tree falls/ fallen cables/ concrete blocks on roads yet nothing warning wise.

The Met Office clearly need to be more reactive when issuing warnings sometimes using more real time data!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...velnews/suffolk

local radio is non stop with trees down 102 fm

Posted

I understand the angst in here over the MetO warnings or lack of/relevance but I think they have a difficult job to do with regards to public safety. It's not like contributors here, who can post all day long about what or what isn't looking likely - the MetO as a government organisation, have peoples lives at stake and must bear that in mind when creating national and regional warnings + forecasts. They are always accountable and someone's head could be on the block!

Having said all that, I am pleased that the interpretations and forecasts by members on this thread over the last few weeks have been pretty good and of course, anybody looking in can view what's being said and make their own judgement based on a lot of info and comment.

Perhaps the MetO should use our forum to assist?!!!! :lol:

Posted

whilst an advance warning of severe weather can, for example, help people alter travel plans with notice, a yellow blob on a map will not stop trees or fences being blown over. common sense tells us if it is safe to travel, or have a walk through the woods. if i walk outside into a hurricane, i'm not going to think "oh well it must be safe because the met office haven't told me its not" i can see with my own eyes what the weather is doing and can use my own judgement as to what is safe and what is not.

Posted

whilst an advance warning of severe weather can, for example, help people alter travel plans with notice, a yellow blob on a map will not stop trees or fences being blown over. common sense tells us if it is safe to travel, or have a walk through the woods. if i walk outside into a hurricane, i'm not going to think "oh well it must be safe because the met office haven't told me its not" i can see with my own eyes what the weather is doing and can use my own judgement as to what is safe and what is not.

But a warning of some description does help local authorities with making preperations for the aftermath. Obviously a blob on a map is not going to make any difference to the behaviour of most, but it does show that the Met Office are actually taking account of what is going on on the ground and the impacts that it is having on the safety of people.

No warning suggests no impacts and yet there are very widespread impacts today with no warnings whatsoever. Gusts of sixty plus miles per hour in the Midlands/ East Anglia are noteworthy and very rare for the area, probably a once every three to four years type of thing

Posted

Now recorded the 18th straight hour locally ( Raf Northolt- Meto readings ) with gusts of 39mph or above. In fact its intensified again in the last hour with the latest reading..... 48mph gust.

Thats quite impressive for a West London suburb, and far in excess of Tuesdays weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Bluebreezer, I live not too far from you in Syon Park, Brentford, it was pretty rough last night and this morning. Am in the city at the moment though, and its really blowy here, would not want to be up in those high cranes today !!! Or coming in on a plane !! The plane engines were very noisey this morning overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

There was quite a bit of Met O and BBC weather presenter bashing in some of our regional threads last year, it’s sad to see it having kicked off again in here.

I actually agree with some of the posts made but I wish people would try and refrain from making these comments on the forum, as others have said complain to the MetO directly rather than on here please.

It was very windy here last night, and there certainly has been considerable damage in places, probably not helped by fence posts, tree branches and roots already having been weakened by the previous storm and the ground being further saturated with all this rain….another squally shower has just passed though here !

It would be really nice if everybody who wants to can enjoy using the forum without upsetting anyone so can we move on from the lack of Met O warnings for last night and look forward to the next batch of interesting weather…

...... did someone mention the possibility of something wintry in the next 10 days time?

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Buxton now a peak gust of 79mph just shy of 11am, the wind is off and on between showers but the trend is that the frequency is gradually lowering as the day wears on between these gusts. I had a brief walk down to the shops some 30 mins ago and looks like we've escaped the worst of it here. One or two bins knocked over and a few small branches down in a woodland area, but no structural damage evident thankfully.

Posted

But a warning of some description does help local authorities with making preperations for the aftermath. Obviously a blob on a map is not going to make any difference to the behaviour of most, but it does show that the Met Office are actually taking account of what is going on on the ground and the impacts that it is having on the safety of people.

No warning suggests no impacts and yet there are very widespread impacts today with no warnings whatsoever. Gusts of sixty plus miles per hour in the Midlands/ East Anglia are noteworthy and very rare for the area, probably a once every three to four years type of thing

it is very true that warnings can help local authorities prepare. the meto often issue warnings a few days in advance for this reason, they then amend or even drop the warnings as the event gets closer- the idea being, better prepared than not. but it would be very little practical help to anyone to issue a warning an hour or two before, other than for information purposes, or to stop weather forum members sniping at them because they didn't get their 'weather warning badge'

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

By the way my post about the met office not updating the site due going for the night was a valid email reply I got once. They didn't mention staff shortages. The met office do respond to some questions.

Anyway things seems to be quietening down now but this has been the longest spell of windy weather for a few years. Now when I posted that we've just hit fifty again

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

There has been quite a bit of damage here in Gloucestershire! One family here certainly had a lucky escape! Also heard there were fires in Lydney due to falling cables and fallen trees.Still quite windy here now.

---------------------------

A FAMILY had a lucky escape when a tree crashed onto their Cheltenham property during stormy weather yesterday.

A 70ft beech destroyed the Herbert family's carport, just yards from where young children were preparing for the day ahead in Hartlebury Way, Charlton Kings.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Massive-tree-crushes-carport-Gloucestershire-home/story-14323053-detail/story.html

Posted

Without wanting to cause offence, there is something known as free speech in this country. Posts in other threads I have made recently (past few days) have been in support of the Met Office and their long range forecasts (6-15 days and 16-30 days) and the accuracy of these.

On this occasion, I believe criticism is warranted and therefore should be allowed on a forum discussing the severe winds last night, the impacts of these and the warnings or lack of.

Posted

Gusts seem to be cranking up again here, off out for a lunchtime walkies in a mo to experience nature!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Perhaps it belongs in another thread though as met office warnings do seem to be a hot topic.

Posted

Bluebreezer, I live not too far from you in Syon Park, Brentford, it was pretty rough last night and this morning. Am in the city at the moment though, and its really blowy here, would not want to be up in those high cranes today !!! Or coming in on a plane !! The plane engines were very noisey this morning overhead.

Hi Ruthie. Welcome to Netweather, I seem to recall you posting on 'another' wx website in the past. Were you one of the many 'lost in the recent upgrade' ?!

Ive just recorded my highest ever gust speed in what is a small and very sheltered garden. 65.4mph. While I doubt the accuracy it will be interesting to compare it with the official Northolt reports later. I can certainly confirm it has intensified here again in the last hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Very windy spell of weather this is, now slightly calming down! 50mph gusts + well across London, some places hitting 60! extraordinary, hello 2012!!

Posted

Without wanting to cause offence, there is something known as free speech in this country. Posts in other threads I have made recently (past few days) have been in support of the Met Office and their long range forecasts (6-15 days and 16-30 days) and the accuracy of these.

On this occasion, I believe criticism is warranted and therefore should be allowed on a forum discussing the severe winds last night, the impacts of these and the warnings or lack of.

not sure if you were referring to my post or not but it wasn't personally aimed at you. yours is a reasonable criticism but there are some on here who just seem to enjoy bashing the meto for the sake of it

as regards the weather, some really strong gusts here in the past 20 mins or so, which actually made the house shake! i can also see the main road now through my kitchen window as thats where one of my fence panels ended up!

Edited by bobbydog

Posted

Update from looking at the GFS charts, still some possibilities for gusts and convective occurrences!

gfs_stp_eur6.png

gfs_srh_eur6.png

06_45.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It has been said on here many times that severe weather can come out of nowhere and can far exceed or be much less than the models predict. It has also ben said that extreme weather can happen even when the models say it won't.

I am aware on this occasion the models were pointing to this event, but in the event that the above happens is it fair that the MetO gets such a slating?

Posted

Update from looking at the GFS charts, still some possibilities for gusts and convective occurrences!

CB's everywhere, but very high based CB's at the moment. Quite a few showers and clear skies interspersed! No chance of TSRA me thinks!

I think the occluded front is stretching further west than planned!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Whilst i enjoy exciting weather like this i have to say enough is enough. It's broken my new fence, smashed the greenhouse and is playing havoc with my woodburner, blowing smoke back down. Fed up of it now......

Posted

Wind's picking up a bit again now, interesting weather to the North West of London.

Edit - now passed through and slightly calmer lol!

Edited by Robbie Garrett