Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Anyone got an ETA on when the peak should hit my area?

The window shall be open a crack tonight so I can listen to it all.

Posted

I know it is sacrilege to some but it looks like the met office have played another blinder this evening .. .. ..

and so soon after the last time .. .. ..

http://www.heraldsco...rsened.16350053

Some of you guys may believe that it is beyond the pale to dare to suggest that they are fallible but they are paid a fortune and given multi million pound resources to do better than the low tech amateurs that populate this forum but it certainly doesnt seem like they do that consistently from where Im standing. I think they have lost their direction somewhat when they became the met & climate change office.

I agree-they have multi million pounds worth of computers, paid for by our taxes-so why shouldn't they be criticized when it doesn't work?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Still pretty nasty here, everytime i go for a cig out the back door i have to hold onto the door handle!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Appalling forecast from Meto/BBC. 81mph Shap, 78mph Keswick and 112mph at GDF. Not even an Amber Alert for wind. Surely once observations are made which contradict forecasts changes should be made and alerts issued. Useless at times.

I agree, but I've never known to have this many storms over a winter period!! The Atlantic for the best of the last 4-5 years has been benign at the very least, and now it's showing it's true colors. I think the models are struggling a lot with the intensity of these storms we are having, not everyday does London get 55mph winds, I remember hitting Gusts of 25 was an amazing event over the last few years, but I've had gusts of 45knots here regularly since December 1st!!

Posted

I know it is sacrilege to some but it looks like the met office have played another blinder this evening .. .. ..

and so soon after the last time .. .. ..

http://www.heraldsco...rsened.16350053

Some of you guys may believe that it is beyond the pale to dare to suggest that they are fallible but they are paid a fortune and given multi million pound resources to do better than the low tech amateurs that populate this forum but it certainly doesnt seem like they do that consistently from where Im standing. I think they have lost their direction somewhat when they became the met & climate change office.

to be fair to the Meto, they can only go on what their monitoring equipment tells them, they then have to process the info and then get that out to the general public. bearing in mind the forecast weather can change very rapidly, even within the hour, it must be quite a juggling act. if they had several thousand forum members on hand to give them up-to-the-minute info, it might be a different story...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The Met were forecasting stronger winds here this evening then yesterday.. so no excuse IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The idea of threads like these is to report and discuss storms and to share information.

Anyone who thinks the METO did a poor job with the alerts would be better off complaining directly: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/contact

It is through feedback that companies improve their performance, it is important that the complaints with the service reach the correct ears of the people who can improve the situation for future alerts/forecasts.

Posted

Appalling forecast from Meto/BBC. 81mph Shap, 78mph Keswick and 112mph at GDF. Not even an Amber Alert for wind. Surely once observations are made which contradict forecasts changes should be made and alerts issued. Useless at times.

I agree. Yesterday when the Meto had a red warning for 80-90mph gales for the Strathclyde area. they were forcasting steady wind of 25 mph with gusts to 45mph for Glasgow!! How does that work??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Looks to be around the north of Manchester in an East/West line, but from the rain radar is losing a bit of its energy. too long over land.

THANK YOU.

I NEARLY MISSED YOUR POST AMONGST THE OTHER BORING OT TWADDLE. :fool: Ok, perhaps folks would as kind to take heed of Liam's post and listen to the latest reports or the likes of SnowJoke or even more bizarrely reread my post as part quoted below.

Hope that helps. Nevermind who is to blame, if they really are, whether it's the BBC, Sky News, MetO etc. just open your window and open your curtains and feel the force of that wind. :drinks::cold: If you can do better than the powers that be, go tell them via twitter or Facebook etc. Thank god for netweather and its collaboration of scientific minds is what I say. :good:

Mods, shall we ask Paul to open a "I am better informed than the paid Metrological Scientists thread?" i.e that is the MetO/BBC/SKY/MY GRANDMA moaning thread. :acute::drinks::bad::help:

Kindest of Sarcastic Regards ;)

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Well I complained to the Met Office via Twitter and I got a super quick response so if you are interested in complaining don't bother with snooze mail (email) use Twitter instead.

And it seems many more have as well....

post-8968-0-22204500-1325722775_thumb.pn

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

So Anyhow, back to the wind, I don't have lights flickering, but my TV has lost signal. Had a brief lull for about 10 minutes where it was just a bit gusty, but now it's really picked up again, and I can hear the carefully arranged bins toppling over. Broken fence is inside so it doesn't blow anywhere and cause damage.

Posted

THANK YOU.

I NEARLY MISSED YOUR POST AMONGST THE OTHER BORING OT TWADDLE. :fool: Ok, perhaps folks would as kind to take heed of Liam's post and listen to the latest reports or the likes of SnowJoke or even more bizarrely reread my post as part quoted below.

Hope that helps. Nevermind who is to blame, if they really are, whether it's the BBC, Sky News, MetO etc. just open your window and open your curtains and feel the force of that wind. :drinks::cold: If you can do better than the powers that be, go tell them via twitter or Facebook etc. Thank god for netweather and its collaboration of scientific minds is what I say. :good:

Mods, shall we ask Paul to open a "I am better informed than the paid Metrological Scientists thread?" i.e that is the MetO/BBC/SKY/MY GRANDMA moaning thread. :acute::drinks::bad::help:

Kindest of Sarcastic Regards ;)

gottolovethisweather

Calm down, mate, it's just the internet.

Posted

honestly! the wind doesn't travel in neat little blocks, due to arrive in 'A' at 'X' o clock, it is not an exact science, it is an estimate - extremely prone to error. go and have a look at the model output discussion if you don't know what i mean!

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well I complained to the Met Office via Twitter and I got a super quick response so if you are interested in complaining don't bother with snooze mail (email) use Twitter instead.

And it seems many more have as well....

post-8968-0-22204500-1325722775_thumb.pn

Good to see that you have had a prompt response, other members can now read the meto's replies, and then like me, perhaps move on from this side topic and concentrate on the thread title itself and discuss the severe weather in hand...Many thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I agree bobby just wanted a rough idea is all. I cant open the maps on my phone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'll make it easy for you, below is a link to contact the Meto, if you have any further complaints about the current warnings or lack of them please click the link and either call them or send them an e mail! Alternatively contact them via Facebook or twitter.

http://www.metoffice...bout-us/contact

Edited by Liam J

Posted

latest Bouy data from 62095 shows the pressure to be steady and the wind has dropped from 31kts down to around 25 kts http://www.ndbc.noaa...d_Kingdom.shtml

Im of to kip now if the wind will let me, should calm down in about 2 hours for the SW and dont think it will be finished until the early morning for some parts.

Edited by Lenticular

Posted

lol well its of no use if I don't post the link..

so yes if you have any queries and want a fast response tweet the Met Office on this address

http://twitter.com/#!/metoffice

You will need a Twitter account to tweet them.

Posted

This is a FORUM catered for amateurs to discuss such weather events like we are seeing now. If you don't like Model/agency bashing then I suggest you stick to lingering onto the site/s you clearly love dearly best otherwise put up a good discussion to why you think the criticism is unwarranted. Saying such discussions is 'bloody boring' doesn't do you any favors here and lacks character.

I've given my account to why the MetO for the SECOND TIME has been a failure today, when even 12 hours ago I was mentioning on this very thread I was expecting to see windfield speeds of +20mph than forecast due to mid-level warm sectors playing out as we are seeing now and lee waves. MetO are still going for 40-60mph gusts when 70-80mph is being seen across a vast swathe..those are damaging in any circumstances and warrant a amber warning, something which ISNT out.

Your turn...

I will take your suggestion and linger on sites on clearly I love best but before i go a simple question. You said:

"I was mentioning on this very thread I was expecting to see windfield speeds of +20mph than forecast due to mid-level warm sectors playing out as we are seeing now and lee waves. MetO are still going for 40-60mph gusts when 70-80mph is being seen across a vast swathe..those are damaging in any circumstances and warrant a amber warning, something which ISNT out".

Why do think people with many years experience and training didn't realise this. Is there, just maybe, some other factors you don't know about which perhaps doesn't come within your area of expertise.

I've realised for some time now I don't exactly fit in here so I think I'll just bid adieu. Enjoy your discussions,

Posted

Kudos to the Met Office for replying to every single tweet even ones that I would of ignored...

Ash_KatyCAT @metoffice OMG the West Midlands should have a weather warning for wind! How is this not classed as hurricane weather seriously?!?!?!

Met Office @ash_katycat Because it isn't hurricane force winds . The forecast has outlined the gales tonight which should ease through tomorrow ^SJ

Posted

CF getting a little moisture injection from Morecambe Bay (SSTs and CAPE giving the front a bit of a convective 'kick') Could be interesting for Lancs into Manchester within the hour.

Posted

Because only a yellow warning has been issued for areas all across northern England experiencing gusts in excess of 60mph with some places exceeding 80mph? I'm sure the folk at the Met Office know what they are doing but they are only human and are capable of making mistakes and are open to criticism just like any other company.

Posted

hey everyone, ive been working tonight and only have phone access so apolligies if my couple of questions have been answered. Im on the south east coast and the wind seems to have picked up a fair bit in the last 15 mins, does it look like the coast may get winds like tuesday morning or not as strong? My second question is has a squall line developed with this low??

Posted

Double post.

Edited by Trugoy the Dove