Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted

Got to admire Sarah on the tweets, although I guess her peers have informed her to keep the replies as simple as possible (often than not with scripted responses for the same relative questions.) Not exactly answering the public in a one-to-one way, but better than nothing I guess.

Posted

I will take your suggestion and linger on sites on clearly I love best but before i go a simple question. You said:

"I was mentioning on this very thread I was expecting to see windfield speeds of +20mph than forecast due to mid-level warm sectors playing out as we are seeing now and lee waves. MetO are still going for 40-60mph gusts when 70-80mph is being seen across a vast swathe..those are damaging in any circumstances and warrant a amber warning, something which ISNT out".

Why do think people with many years experience and training didn't realise this. Is there, just maybe, some other factors you don't know about which perhaps doesn't come within your area of expertise.

I've realised for some time now I don't exactly fit in here so I think I'll just bid adieu. Enjoy your discussions,

Please don't. I really enjoy your posts!

I have just come home and have been hanging on to a tree in the front Garden whilst tying a belt around it!

I had no idea it was going to be as bad as this.

Posted

OliviaRichBBC Olivia Richwald

Wind related probs on roads round Leeds Bradford Airport, trees down Brownberrie Lane and Bayton Lane...latest as of 12midnigh

Great news. Not, hopefully the tree is cleared or I can at least pass round it -___-

Anyway, wind-speed of 47 mph, wind gusts of 62 mph.

Posted

Please don't. I really enjoy your posts!

I have just come home and have been hanging on to a tree in the front Garden whilst tying a belt around it!

I had no idea it was going to be as bad as this.

I'm not going to ask. :)

Edited by weather ship

Posted

To be fair to the Met Office, it's not exactly hurricane force winds. Just a bit windier than I thought it would be. My poor tree which was bashed by a Skip Lorry the other day is in danger of being split down the middle, hence me hanging on to it with a larger leather belt.

I can only hope it will be o.k until the Lads turn up tomorrow to tie it properly.

Winds here around 50mph gusts. :sorry:

I'm not going to ask.

Oh, do, do. lol

Posted

It's gusting almost 60 mph where I am in Central London!!! 26030G49KT WTH!

None of the stations are showing gusts that strong, wind tunnel perhaps?

London city-

Wind speed- 29mph

Wind gust- 41 mph

Posted

To be fair to the Met Office, it's not exactly hurricane force winds. Just a bit windier than I thought it would be. My poor tree which was bashed by a Skip Lorry the other day is in danger of being split down the middle, hence me hanging on to it with a larger leather belt.

I can only hope it will be o.k until the Lads turn up tomorrow to tie it properly.

Winds here around 50mph gusts. :sorry:

Oh, do, do. lol

Getting back to the task in hand according to the METO ( which of course we can't believe) it will be still be quite breezy in the morning but only gusting in the 40s. Hope you save your tree Cj.

Posted

Strongest winds now in a line from the Morecambe Estuary to Humberside, with lee-waves downslope of the Pennines enhancing winds to the East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

None of the stations are showing gusts that strong, wind tunnel perhaps?

London city-

Wind speed- 29mph

Wind gust- 41 mph

I am looking at Northolt. But your right, that's what City is getting!

I am 100ft up as well and I know what 60mph sounds like, from previous experience and it's comparable - the Northolt Metar shows this.

But the METAR's only give a reading of -10 minutes + 5 minutes I believe, so the actual gusts you'd get are not recorded, unless it falls in a 15 minute window of the METAR taking an average'ish!

60mph in some parts of expose London is believable. City now gusting almost 50mph!

EGLC 050050Z AUTO 25025G41KT 9999 BKN022/// 11/06 Q1001

Northolt = EGWU 042350Z AUTO 26030G49KT 9999 // SCT027/// BKN100/// 10/06 Q1002

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

its getting really windy here now. i will be really angry with the meto if i get woken up in bed by a noisy gust of wind. they should have given me a yellow warning, then i would have known to wear earplugs...

Posted

I have to ride over to Nuneaton tomorrow on a 600ft ridge, the met office tells me it's safe to do so though, so I should be able to sue them when I'm badly injured from being blown off my bike?

Posted

Astonishing wind gusts. Leeds Bradford airport just recorded a gust of 74.81 mph. Quite possibly the strongest gust in 15 years since LBA weather station records became available.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

I have to ride over to Nuneaton tomorrow on a 600ft ridge, the met office tells me it's safe to do so though, so I should be able to sue them when I'm badly injured from being blown off my bike?

you could always use common sense and assess the conditions yourself before starting your journey, as any driver of any vehicle should do, regardless of any weather forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

please please please. You know folks, sometimes I......................... :lazy:

Well there are some EXPLOSIVE gusts out there right now. See http://www.weatheron...kuk&SORT=3&UD=0 for the evidence from the last hour. Poo, it's 1am. :80:

My evidence since midnight is a top gust of 37mph at 0:58 from my sheltered locality and crashing sounds outside right now. :diablo: Other details indicate a rapidly decreasing barometer trend and it is still another couple of hours before the CF hits my area.

I know I need sleep but the adrenaline is pumping though.

Cheers all.

gottolovethisweather

EDIT: 41mph at 01:06 and an almighty THUD outside again.

ONE OF COAST'S POSTS NEAR THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD QUOTED GUSTS IN THE REGION OF 70MPH IMBY. I AM COFIDENT THIS WILL BE VERIFIED, JUDGING BY THE LATEST ANALYSIS. :gathering::diablo::help:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

I am looking at Northolt. But your right, that's what City is getting!

I am 100ft up as well and I know what 60mph sounds like, from previous experience and it's comparable - the Northolt Metar shows this.

But the METAR's only give a reading of -10 minutes + 5 minutes I believe, so the actual gusts you'd get are not recorded, unless it falls in a 15 minute window of the METAR taking an average'ish!

60mph in some parts of expose London is believable. City now gusting almost 50mph!

EGLC 050050Z AUTO 25025G41KT 9999 BKN022/// 11/06 Q1001

Northolt = EGWU 042350Z AUTO 26030G49KT 9999 // SCT027/// BKN100/// 10/06 Q1002

I live about 5 miles from Northolt and can confirm the winds here have been persistent since around 5pm yesterday. Latest gust 56mph. Whilst not severe by any means its the relentless nature of them for the last 8 hours that has been noticeable. They are also now increasing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Strongest winds now in a line from the Morecambe Estuary to Humberside, with lee-waves downslope of the Pennines enhancing winds to the East.

That's what it feels like here - RAF Donna Nook recording gusts of between 55-60mph since around 9pm but it noticeably cranked up here again after a bit of a lull.

Posted

you could always use common sense and assess the conditions yourself before starting your journey, as any driver of any vehicle should do, regardless of any weather forecast.

True, but if I've checked the forecast well in advance and then already started my journey only to be hit by something that SHOULD have been warned against.

I'm really getting fed up of the met offices weather warnings now, we saw this coming a couple of days ago and set warnings across ALL affected areas.

The met office has not and in doing so has put lives at risk.

We all know about the 'cry wolf' story and the met office, but I'd rather they shouted 'wolf' all the time instead of not saying anything after a while.

If people have died in the areas with no warnings tonight, then there should be some serious questions asked at the met office!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Well its been another fun evening although no way much as fun as yesterday ! Had some pretty strong gusts here throughout the evening although couldn't tell you exactly what they were. I really want to sleep but can't as I am sure a lot of you can understand. Just having a final coffee and to crack open the windows a little so I can keep my ear out and can't believe that as I type the little Robin is out in the garden singing her little heart out !

Posted

The met office has not and in doing so has put lives at risk.

We all know about the 'cry wolf' story and the met office, but I'd rather they shouted 'wolf' all the time instead of not saying anything after a while.

If people have died in the areas with no warnings tonight, then there should be some serious questions asked at the met office!!

That is a very serious comment. And and should be backed up with detaied evidence. Otherwise I should think you or NW will be taken to court. And quite rightly. It happened once in the states and thisis completely out of order.

If this is what the NW forum is all about I'm definately on my travels.

Edited by weather ship