Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'm not going to beable to go to sleep with this wind!

Yes very windy in our neck of the woods, I would estimate gusts here in Penkridge well in excess of 50 mph....I'm on the outskirts of the village exposed to westerly winds (as it's pretty much flat, open countryside right to the welsh borders) and there's a constant howl of wind, certainly one of the windiest day's/night's since I've lived here (although not a patch on the winter gales I used to experience living in Brixham, Devon I should add)

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Up to now not as windy here tonight as it was yesterday, maximum gust so far has been 58 mph at 2038. It looks as though places like Barnsley and Leeds are experiencing pennine lee wave conditions.

Posted

Just to top it off.... Darren on news 24 weather at 10pm "many will see gusts around 30 40 mph mabe up to 60 mph down the east cost but this is the exception rather than the rule" GET SERIOUS

Rant over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Keswick has surpassed the top gust recorded during the January 2005 storm with 78mph @ 10pm tonight!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Starting to get very gusty in essex, we are at the bottom of a cul-de-sac and now have a very large pile of bin bags blown down from the other houses on the road as its the reycling collection tomorrow, looks like they will only need to stop at ours! I lost a large chunk of my shed roof on Tuesday...if this keeps up I may well be fishing it out of the field next to us come the morning again

Posted

Keswick has surpassed the top gust recorded during the January 2005 storm with 78mph @ 10pm tonight!

Quite a gust from its sustained report though of just 32mph must have been a convective series of gusts.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Yes I agree poor show from the met office,

All Met Office warnings are upgraded when the weather warning actually happens and so far we should be aware, more like be prepared!

Grrrrr

2q809r8.gif

Posted

The peak of this front should be more or less between midnight and 3am, so yeah. I reckon a lot of people have a right to be concerned given the MetO failed epically only 2 days regarding Scotland and their lack of nowcasting which every amateur could see was about to hit that part of the world. they ought to build a couple of windows in that Exeter shed of theirs, might help make up a few minds or two.

Posted

Quite a gust from its sustained report though of just 32mph must have been a convective series of gusts.

Exceptional for that location, it is very sheltered and that May be an all time record.

Posted

The radars aren't working. raintoday down, Net Weather down. Meto one works though, too bad its the worst!

Posted

Was 91 mph gusts in Glasgow yesterday. Unbelieveable destruction. Flats behind me lost chimneys and debris all over. Now flooding - really bad news for flats without roof covering. Hope nobody else suffers this tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just to top it off.... Darren on news 24 weather at 10pm "many will see gusts around 30 40 mph mabe up to 60 mph down the east cost but this is the exception rather than the rule" GET SERIOUS

Rant over!

61 mph gust at Rhyl

58 mph at Hawarden

72 mph at Crosby

69 mph at Ronaldsway (Isle of Man)

All them "east coast" locations doncha know :rofl:

Posted

61 mph gust at Rhyl

58 mph at Hawarden

72 mph at Crosby

69 mph at Ronaldsway (Isle of Man)

All them "east coast" locations doncha know :rofl:

78mph @ Keswick Cumbria which is 22 miles from the coast!

Posted

Oh wow, if that doesn't tell you how topography isn't a influence on winds I don't know what will. Calm as a breeze here the past hour and yet 5 miles south Buxton has hit 72mph at 10.50pm.

Posted

True it is a good thing it happens during nighttime.

Thanks all for posting i am trying to follow but not used to all places and also am more used to kilometers.But very nice to follow you all.

Meanwhile here it is really quiet apart from a breeze

Edited by jean91

Posted

by the standards of my very sheltered back garden a gust of 45mph a while ago is quite unusual!

The airport shows 55mph possibly higher

Posted

A facebook status-

Ahhhhhh all the panneling from someones house has blown off and blowing around the street hitting cars...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

And here is the latest HERE AND NOW (well hopefully) reported maximum gusts from netweather. :good:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=current;type=maxg

Here is the most recent gusts courtesy of xcweather which are looking scary along the CF. :search:

http://xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Here is the current gust situation courtesy of weatheronline. :p

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=windspitze_km_h&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1325716200&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&UD=1

Hope that helps. Nevermind who is to blame, if they really are, whether it's the BBC, Sky News, MetO etc. just open your window and open your curtains and feel the force of that wind. :drinks::cold: If you can do better than the powers that be, go tell them via twitter or Facebook etc. Thank god for netweather and its collaboration of scientific minds is what I say. :good:

Windy Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Some seriously strong gusts now coming through in SE Essex. Possibly stronger than the other day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

Very windy here in Bury St Edmunds. Cannot measure wind speed but feels a lot stronger than last night.

Stay safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

by the standards of my very sheltered back garden a gust of 45mph a while ago is quite unusual!

The airport shows 55mph possibly higher

John, I am more of a 'watcher of other posts' since I joined up can I ask if these winds pretty much on the mark as to what was anticipated?

Some seriously strong gusts now coming through in SE Essex. Possibly stronger than the other day.

Feels that way to me here in Braintree as well