Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted

Well its been another fun evening although no way much as fun as yesterday ! Had some pretty strong gusts here throughout the evening although couldn't tell you exactly what they were. I really want to sleep but can't as I am sure a lot of you can understand.

Recent gust of 56mph at Northolt, and its been blowing a hooley here for the last 9 hours now. overall much better than yesterday !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

A very large tree, has come down just up the road to me, and I only drove down there an hour ago. If that had fell on a car, anybody in it wouldn't have stood a chance. Smaller trees and large, heavy branches down everywhere around here......and yet no MetOffice warning. Easily the most destructive wind here in the last 10 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Recent gust of 56mph at Northolt, and its been blowing a hooley here for the last 9 hours now. overall much better than yesterday !!

Thats miles away from me though ! Well not quite but weather wise you are. But I do know what you mean. Yesterdays event was brief but intense and this afternoon / this evening has been more consistent and persistent just not as extreme as i would like. So much rather and love this weather though as opposed to snow and ice. I get housebound when it gets like that !

Posted

Oh well, after hanging on to my Tree, I think it may live!! lol

I am 75 mtrs asl which is high for Greater London, but the wind is very high here and always has been.

Oh crap, there goes the fence.

50mph is quite enough for my area thank you. Any higher and I would be surprised really.

I remember the storm of '87 and this is nothing I assure you!!

The Met Office did give gusts of almost 50mph for my area but I did not check today!

All this talk of them being rubbish is just not true, there is NO hurricane force winds, just winds I was unaware of whilst out with friends.

Thanks Weathership, Tree is still hanging in there, thanks to a dreaful large Belt my ex wore in the 90's. lol :rofl:

Posted

Up to 77mph in Buxton now, to the untrained eye it might be hard to make out the Cold Front on RADAR but it's now within a line from Preston to the spit of Hull. Everything else you see beneath it return-wise are lee-waves.

Posted

Up to 77mph in Buxton now, to the untrained eye it might be hard to make out the Cold Front on RADAR but it's now within a line from Preston to the spit of Hull. Everything else you see beneath it return-wise are lee-waves.

My Daughter's in-laws live there, but luckily all should be in bed now, as should I. She lives in Leeds but texted me earlier but only about a tv show about her Midwife!!???

Hopefully all should be well by morning. Have just seen latest BBC broadcast which says it should be over by morning.

Stay indoors, don't hang onto Tree's and you should be fine! lol :rofl:

Posted

Well with the wind still rattling away here in NW London Im calling it a night. Take care everyone. BB

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

What does that mean within a line from preston? Im in preston....im new to this so dont know the termonology.

Posted

Only the cold front is the next 'hurdle' to overcome in the coming 30 mins. After that for this area winds will start to abade and the airmass begin to gradually cool as the warm uppers lose their influence (which is currently driving the lee-waves) and a restful night for many in the Peaks and across the North.

What does that mean within a line from preston? Im in preston....im new to this so dont know the termonology.

In simple terms between Preston and Hull is where the Cold Front is placed, the diving line between the warm air (south) and cooler air (north.) Once this line passes the weather will improve and the winds gradually die down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Oh right i see! Thanks :) still rather windy here at the mo but the temp has started to drop.

Posted

Wind really strong here and very strong gusts,know idea of the speed though as dont have the equipment,lots of banging and crashing going so will be interesting to see what damage has been done when light.

Posted

well window watching ust seen to flashes of white in the sky no thunder tho interesting weather

edit make that 6 now.. no thunder tho static in the clouds?

anyways im going to have a nap, night netweather :)

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

Me and my partner just spent the last 10/15 mins dismantling a already destroyed gazebo on our driveway,i posted about the wind here and went to get a drink and seen something fly through the garden,it was downstairs gazebo which ended up in next doors garden,rather than leave it i though i better get it before it causes damage to someones car,i know what your thinking why was there a gazebo up in January but to be honest its been up since last summer and was somewhere to go sit and have a few beers on wet days,not anymore its destroyed thanks to the wind :(

Posted

As a driver of a 7.5 tonne lorry with a 26ft long / 13ft high body, it is in my own interests to keep a check on up to the minute weather warnings. I have done this for the last 12 years. I start out in Manchester at 5pm every night and my first drop is in Darlington then Stockton, Leeds and back to Manchester.

I was expecting it to be windy as forecasted and set out with this in mind. The trip across the M62 was easy enough, it was when I turned North onto the M1 and then further on the A1(M).

From Wetherby onwards(the time now 6:30pm) the wind strength increased so much I was down to 35MPH, by the time I got to Darlington (8:30PM) I counted 6 articulated lorries on their side, 2 of which looked quite serious.

The trip to Leeds is something I never want to drive in again. The wind had obviously increased with even stronger gusts. The chaos and mayhem I drove past was unbelieveable. Another 14 HGV's on their sides, the emergency services must be stretched to say the least. That was just the A1(M).

The M62 had another 4 on their sides.

Like others have said, inappropriate warnings for these areas tonight which I sincerely hope has'nt cost any lives. If I thought for one minute it was going to be as bad as it was, I would never have set out.

Posted

Wind gusts here for the last 30 minutes here have been the strongest I have heard all evening. Unable to sleep for the noise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I live on a boat, and this has been the 3 worst days of trying to sleep on it, tonight by far the worst. I am currently in the Shardlow area south of Derby, and the wind seems to be funneling down from the Peak District. I gave up trying to sleep an hour ago and am hoping the mooring chains hold out.

Posted

Just now beginning to calm a little but still windy.

XC Weather was showing Crosby, just down the coast from you, at WNW 47-64mph. (at 5am) Edited by Seatac19

Posted

Another pretty windy night, it was much windier here than a couple of days ago. UK wide the gusts not quite so high as Tues but not far off, from the Meto site:

There were some very strong gusts late on Wednesday evening and on Thursday morning. Here are the strongest recorded gusts so far: High Bradfield: 93 mph; Capel Curig: 87 mph; Shap: 82 mph; Keswick: 78 mph; Leeds/Bradford Airport: 75 mph. Also a gust of 111 mph on top of Great Dunn Fell, but this is 847m above sea level. Issued at 0306 on Thu 05 Jan

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A windy night with gusts up to 54 mph but now started picking up again with new gust of 55mph. Sounded a lot windier than it was keeping me awake bit a bit of the night.

Posted

33mph sustained, gusts - 53mph 995mb

its blowing pretty good out there for this part of the country at least, it certainly the highest winds we have had down here in a long time

Edited by DavidHB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Have awoken to quite a gusty morning, max gust overnight of 51.8kmh according to weather station. Will be taking a careful drive into college as some trees down according to local radio station :-S

Posted

Very Wild Night here. Sustained wind has only just dropped below 30mph, from a fairly rough 40mph, with regular gusts up to 70. We were not in the Meto yellow area, being just slightly South. Roughest period of weather (here at least) for many years.

I have no qualms with the yellow warnings put out as the majority were tucked up in bed. I do however feel a stronger warning could have been useful since a great deal of freight moves at night and from the reports this morning, some of these vehicles were dreadfully exposed (without adequate warning) and have ended up parked on their sides.

Edited by AndyLincs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Still very windy this moring, NW'ly gales gusting 50-60mph.

Can't believe how windy it was last night, significant wind event for many, windier than Tuesday.

Still on going disruption over Cumbria, flooding, fallen trees and over turned lorries.

Edited by Liam J