Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Top 10 gusts from the last hour, 3 of the stations are in Cumbria, Great Dun Fell, Keswick and Shap.

Twice in as many days low level gusts in Cumbria have nearly touched 80mph, and over 100mph for the Great Dun Fell station.

Gusts

Crosby (9 m) 73 mph

Shap (249 m) 70 mph

Edited by Liam J

Posted

John, I am more of a 'watcher of other posts' since I joined up can I ask if these winds pretty much on the mark as to what was anticipated?

Gale to severe gales were expected to develop through the afternoon into the evening especially on coasts and over hills.

Whether the frontal effect showing on the radar was brought into that equation I'm not sure. It does seem to be having an additional effect on the wind strengths.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

Very windy here in Bury St Edmunds. Cannot measure wind speed but feels a lot stronger than last night.

Stay safe.

And all the blue recycling bins are out for collections tommorow!! I daren't look out the front!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Gale to severe gales were expected to develop through the afternoon into the evening especially on coasts and over hills.

Whether the frontal effect showing on the radar was brought into that equation I'm not sure. It does seem to be having an additional effect on the wind strengths.

Thanks John

Posted

Listened to a debate on Five Live today regarding "when Christmas decorations should be taken down" 5th or 6th of Jan? Our outside lights have been removed by the westerly gale and are now wrapped around the wife's car!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Fierce winds with the cold front, one minute mean speed here 50mph max gust 71.8mph.

As has been mentioned it's a good job this has happened when most people are sitting at home and pretty safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Starting to get very gusty in essex, we are at the bottom of a cul-de-sac and now have a very large pile of bin bags blown down from the other houses on the road as its the reycling collection tomorrow, looks like they will only need to stop at ours! I lost a large chunk of my shed roof on Tuesday...if this keeps up I may well be fishing it out of the field next to us come the morning again

Yep, I'm still at my Folks' in south essex, and it certainly sounds like the sustained wind is stronger than yesterday, not sure about the gusts. Dad and I went to retrieve the bins earlier on (we are recycling collection here tomorrow to) and I'm glad we did, because there are recycling boxes cartwheeling down our Cul-De Sac!

Posted

its not even windy here!

edit- no i take that back, the dog's just farted! :bad:

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

why northwest england isnt under at least an amber warning god only knows

If you think thats strange, imagine how we feel in North East Wales 60 mph plus gusts and no bloody warning at all. Poor form.

Posted

Yes very odd that there is not a wind warning out at all for large parts of the north west of england.the yellow warning for most of that area is for rain rather than wind when you look at the map.

Gusts of seventy miles an hour are severe.

Meanwhile in nottm the wind is howling.

Posted

Top 10 gusts from the last hour, 3 of the stations are in Cumbria, Great Dun Fell, Keswick and Shap.

Twice in as many days low level gusts in Cumbria have nearly touched 80mph, and over 100mph for the Great Dun Fell station.

Gusts

Crosby (9 m) 73 mph

Shap (249 m) 70 mph

Hats off to Accuweather yesterday predicting 90mph eh Kid! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Yep, I'm still at my Folks' in south essex, and it certainly sounds like the sustained wind is stronger than yesterday, not sure about the gusts. Dad and I went to retrieve the bins earlier on (we are recycling collection here tomorrow to) and I'm glad we did, because there are recycling boxes cartwheeling down our Cul-De Sac!

I have just been outside to tidy the few bags on the road that havent blown down to mine already for the morning collection, safely stacked behind a sheltered fence...hopefully!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Some seriously strong gusts now coming through in SE Essex. Possibly stronger than the other day.

Yep, I'm feeling it here in Stanford-leHope! We just lost half a fence panel.

Posted

It really is a loud old night out there, bins crashing down the road, lots of banging noises, it goes quiet for about 2-3 minutes then there are strong gusts which rattle the windows. Love this type of weather in the winter! :good: The Atlantic has certainly awakened in the last 2 months

Yep, I'm feeling it here in Stanford-leHope! We just lost half a fence panel.

Doh! Sorry to hear that, thats the bad part about this weather I suppose

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Bit underestimated down south here too, gusts of 50mph in London are known to knock tree's onto railway lines magically!

27032G45KT at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Starting to really pick up wind wise here!

Posted

On a 27 mile gust for my area and still a nice 8.1c, i am off to bed.Wish you all a safe night.

Posted

have just come back from suffolk into north essex playing dodge the falling branch and its very lively out there, looking at the wind map it shows that from just below Edinburg to the south coast is having wind speeds of around 45moh average and gusts of around 55mph yes some are more and some less but that is still a very big wind field, so much energy! and looking at the http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?hour=0〈=en&map=AtlN atlantic analyse its not going to calm down for a little while.

Edited by Lenticular

Posted

judging by some of the posts on here, essex is getting it quite hard, if it keeps up, it could cause thousands of pounds worth of improvements!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Listened to a debate on Five Live today regarding "when Christmas decorations should be taken down" 5th or 6th of Jan? Our outside lights have been removed by the westerly gale and are now wrapped around the wife's car!!

Looks like the wind wants them down on the 4th!

Very windy and gusty here in Oxford, currently gusts of excess- 40mph. 3.6mm of rain today aswell