Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Here in the NW midlands, it's definitely windier than yesterday in as much as the sustained winds speeds are much higher

Posted

Due to the local topography it looks like i'll be missing out on the worst of these winds. However i've learned never to say never when winds have been westerly as even a slight swly track can see funneling through the Kettleshulme valley which then has a knock-on effect for the town again.

Posted

Gust of 70.1 Mph Met office should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Tile damage on a large number of houses. I'll be filing a serious complaint tomorrow. As for netweather well you be the judge for no warnings whatsoever Ave mean in the last 10 mins 58.3 Mph! and still increasing

EDIT.... MY bad ... Netweather do have warnings. failed cookie updates on my part....Apologys

Edited by Richie V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.
viewimage.png Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Gust of 70.1 Mph Met office should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Tile damage on a large number of houses. I'll be filing a serious complaint tomorrow.

You are covered under the Meto warning for your area? http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Issued at - 04 Jan 2012, 11:20

Valid from - 04 Jan 2012, 18:00

Valid to - 05 Jan 2012, 06:00

Westerly winds will increase through today, with gales and locally severe gales likely during the evening, easing from the north later in the night. The public should be aware of the risk of localised disruption which is likely to be caused by gusts reaching 60-70 mph.

Just hit 71mph here...

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Gust of 70.1 Mph Met office should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Tile damage on a large number of houses. I'll be filing a serious complaint tomorrow. As for netweather well you be the judge for no warnings whatsoever Ave mean in the last 10 mins 58.3 Mph! and still increasing

EDIT.... MY bad ... Netweather do have warnings. failed cookie updates on my part....Apologys

Met office do mention severe gales?

Met Office: Yorkshire & Humber: severe weather warnings

Posted
Posted · Hidden by xerxes, January 4, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by xerxes, January 4, 2012 - No reason given

A bit late I know and has been seen by a few elsewhere. The wife and I watch and filmed the cold frontal squall yesterday as it came through Alton around 1130am. Gives an idea of the washing machine stylee event LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Netweather do have a severe weather alert in force http://www.netweathe...rts;reg=3;sess= issued at 15.23pm

Just hit 71mph here...

Ritchie has edited his post Liam, your posts 'crossed' in the post so to speak :)

Must admit though a bit bemused by the Met Office critique, as they do have severe weather warnings in force for heavy rain and strong winds (including severe gales)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Not exaggerating, absolutely torrential rain, I've never heard it so loud whilst crashing off the windows, accompanied by strong gusts of 60mph+

A fantastic cold front, I really love these winter storms, hopefully we'll get some more during the colder weather mid-jan onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Conditions really have worsened in the last half an hour in out neck of the woods, just in from my run and its very nasty!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
Posted · Hidden by P-M, January 4, 2012 - format of message is all dodgy!
Hidden by P-M, January 4, 2012 - format of message is all dodgy!

Latest gusts from NW:

Latest Maximum UK Gusts

Please note that only stations with reasonable gusts report them, so some stations within this list may show 0mph
70mph

63mph

63mph

60mph

59mph

59mph

58mph

58mph

57mph

57mph

56mph

56mph

56mph

56mph

54mph

54mph

54mph

54mph

54mph

53mph Isle Of Man

Prestwick Airport

Newcastle

Waddington

Coningsby Royal Air Force Base

Blackpool Airport

Castlederg

Disforth

Lake Vyrnwy

Guernsey Airport

Eglinton / Londonderr

Isle Of Portland

Port Ellen

Robin Hood Airport

Capel Curig

Dublin Airport

Fair Isle

Bingley

Crosby

Tiree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Very wild here too.

Posted

As does the Met Office for wind along the central/eastern side of the UK

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

And ESTOFEX has much of Northern UK under a level 1

http://www.estofex.org/

One thing I learned from this week is to never trust the BBC forecasts when it comes to articulating issued MetO data. The BBC doesn't necessarily have a duty of status with the MetO in issuing the warnings on-air and depending on various circumstances (ie. schedule, script, their own forecast interpretations) don't have to transmit such a warning. The current standing is to always check the MetO's website for the latest information as that is where the updates come from.

Or of course there is NetWeather and many other agencies where you can get real-time data that is just as good.

Posted

Conditions really have worsened in the last half an hour in out neck of the woods, just in from my run and its very nasty!

A fellow darton... My station is on St andrews drive up the top of the hill!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Yes they have a wind warning out issued at 11:20 this morning. I think some people are not noticing that on the new layout of the warnings page, when there are multiple ones, you have to click on a link underneath to bring out a drop out thing, which brings out the details of the other warnings.

Im flabbergasted by the BBC Weather forecast just now. Mention of 60MPH winds in EASTERN England and the SW. Put in perspective, gust at Crosby just recently 72mph. :o In addition, many stations in Yorkshire & Humber are recording well ABOVE 60mph now. I know I'm being critical, but surely they could have picked a more representative wind speed?

Edited by chris93

Posted

I'm afraid I disagree with many posts on here. This isn't a major event and gusts for individual places are impossible to forecsast for a number of reasons. It's often built up on here by too much information not completely understood by all. Anyway some regional 0300 gust forecast by ...........

Edited by weather ship

Posted

Please can we stop this attack on the Meto and their warnings please, I'm sure they know what they are doing down in Exeter!

Warnings are in place for the areas that are seeing 70mph gusts atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Very strong gusts coming through now in Newcastle, wild wild nigh that's for sure!!

Aparently the tumbleweeds are rolling through the manchester area quite readilyas well :rofl:

Posted

Keswick in Cumbria hit 78mph!!! A notable event and most likely one of the strongest gusts ever recorded in Keswick.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

A fellow darton... My station is on St andrews drive up the top of the hill!

I'm just off Bence Lane, already had to pull the wheelie bin out next doors garden where the fence was destroyed the other day!