Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January Part 2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just WOW at some of the GEFS ensembles!!! :help:

post-9615-0-84762800-1325895771_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well it isn't supposed to be breezy today but the wind is back gusting to 48 mph and now averaging 27 mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's certainly windier than I expected. The mean speed here is around 30 mph and the highest gust so far today, 56 mph.

I see the station at Brierlow Bar near Buxton recorded a gust of 68 mph shortly before 10.0 a.m and Bradwell Edge is reporting a mean speed of 47 mph although the latter is subject to anomalously high speeds in a westerly due to lift and compression over the edge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just WOW at some of the GEFS ensembles!!! :help:

Lol - GFS and its armagaddon lows..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

It's certainly windier than I expected. The mean speed here is around 30 mph and the highest gust so far today, 56 mph.

I see the station at Brierlow Bar near Buxton recorded a gust of 68 mph shortly before 10.0 a.m and Bradwell Edge is reporting a mean speed of 47 mph although the latter is subject to anomalously high speeds in a westerly due to lift and compression over the edge.

Yup we seem to be amongst the windiest places in the uK looking at XCweather. Highest gust so far 49 mph can we break 50 mph again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Yeah i said last night it was getting windy again, we had a right nasty gust of wind here before. Looks wintry and feels cold out there but its actually 8 degrees c.

Posted

LOL 53 mph still increasing if it keeps going it will beat Wednesday not bad for a quiet day. Rescued the blue bin for the second time yet this didn't blow away at all earlier on in the week.

Posted

make for interesting gliding!

Posted

make for interesting gliding!

Is this a lee wind effect ???

Posted

Is this a lee wind effect ???

no the gliding centre is in the fields immediately adjacent to the edge TM mentioned, or I believe its that ridge, so as a westerly hits the ridge the air is forced to rise thus giving good lift initially to gliders being winched up just short of the edge.

In certain conditions then this is even more accentuated if the air a couple of thousand feet above the ridge is warmer than at the ridge. Thus the air is forced between that inversion and the ridge making it accelerate even more. That is a similar effect that Paul Hudson was using to explain why the winds were so strong in the Yorkshire areas to the lee of the Peak and southern Pennines, along with being funnelled through some valleys.

That again was not too different to the gales in Sheffield in the autumn of, was it 1961?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

no the gliding centre is in the fields immediately adjacent to the edge TM mentioned, or I believe its that ridge, so as a westerly hits the ridge the air is forced to rise thus giving good lift initially to gliders being winched up just short of the edge.

In certain conditions then this is even more accentuated if the air a couple of thousand feet above the ridge is warmer than at the ridge. Thus the air is forced between that inversion and the ridge making it accelerate even more. That is a similar effect that Paul Hudson was using to explain why the winds were so strong in the Yorkshire areas to the lee of the Peak and southern Pennines, along with being funnelled through some valleys.

That again was not too different to the gales in Sheffield in the autumn of, was it 1961?

February 1962, John. I remember it as if it was yesterday, I've never witnessed a gale like it,, before or since.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

I was asking why is so breezy today John. Yes it was Feb 62 quite a bit of our house was blown down and I was just a twinkle in my mothers eye. :)

Posted

68mph, crikey I knew it was breezy but didn't think it was anything like that. A couple of strong gusts blowing through the tree's seperating the garden from the neighbours earlier this morning but I didn't thin much else of it but some rogue gusts. Must still be warm-air aloft enhancing localised lee-waves in this area. Anyone who lives here knows the Goyt Valley (especially Shining Tor) is the highest point in Cheshire that rises almost straight away from the Cheshire Plain.

Posted

I was asking why is so breezy today John. Yes it was Feb 62 quite a bit of our house was blown down and I was just a twinkle in my mothers eye. :)

no ascent from Watnal so unable to be definite

Albemarle has an inversion at about 6000ft which is a shade too high to give a true effect

looking at the 06z Fax chart and the isobars are too far round I would have thought and not close enough given the Albemarle ascent for much in the way of lee/wave activity. That said when you look at the sat picc one can see wave type clouds in the flow.

68mph, crikey I knew it was breezy but didn't think it was anything like that. A couple of strong gusts blowing through the tree's seperating the garden from the neighbours earlier this morning but I didn't thin much else of it but some rogue gusts. Must still be warm-air aloft enhancing localised lee-waves in this area. Anyone who lives here knows the Goyt Valley (especially Shining Tor) is the highest point in Cheshire that rises almost straight away from the Cheshire Plain.

know it well having lived in Bramhall for 20 years and walked in the Peak for over 30

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Yup it seems we've moved to Nortern Scotland gusting over 50 there.

Posted

There must be some local effects as Brierlow Bar is still gusting to 61 mph and averaging around 36 mph, it's windy here but nowhere near that, averaging around 30 mph and gusting to 50.

I see Shining Tor near the Cat and Fiddle is averaging 39 mph so a gale blowing up there, Bradwell Edge is in a league of its own with a recent average around 51 mph.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im going for a walk with the mutt up Stanage Edge in a while, it will be interesting to say the least.

The strong winds here have died down now, Still quite breezy here with the odd 30/35/mph gust's.

I think the bufferting effect around these areas make a big diffrence.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Its wild outside, wind has really picked up suddenly after the moderate winds earlier today.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

It's been blowing a gale over NE Scotland all day with wind speeds at Rosehearty generally averaging 37-43mph with gusts of 55mph+ for much of Saturday.

A breezy day here with mean speeds of 20-25mph gusting 35-40mph.

The Atlantic is looking quiet over the coming week and giving us a break from the relentless storms and I expect the next big weather story to talk of will be the cold and snow! :)

Posted

The windiest part of the day has been this evening with the mean speed reaching 36 mph and a gust of 58 mph shortly before 2030. It's decreased a bit since then but still averaging 29 mph and gusting to 46.

Posted

Looking very quiet on the storm front for the foreseeable future, which for some will mean a welcome relief!

The only interest this week will be Wednesday & Thursday which may be slightly 'active' as a cold front and stronger winds moves south over the UK but by no means as exciting as the last few events have proved, not by a long shot.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Far north of Scotland might just catch a few gales later tonight:

gfs_stp_eur24.png

gfs_srh_eur24.png

gfs_gusts_eur24.png

Posted

This one seems to have slipped under the radar but gust up to 70 mph expected tonight over Scotland and Northern Eastern England lasting into early tomorrow morning.

Posted

Evening guys, I can't see winds that strong on any of the model guidance, 50-55mph for some exposed areas like here for example. The TV forecasts did mention lee gusts, I don't think the models take this factor into consideration?

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The Met Office also have a yellow warning for possible 70mph winds for the Northeast!