Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell - General Discussion

Posted

I want severe frosts.. but there is just too much darn cloud... what kind of cold spell is this? One of those easterlies that everyone in eastern England dreads.. cloudy, cloudy and no cold night temperatures.. is it thunderstorm season yet!?

Well Aaron been dull here and cloudy ( clouds we are not to see for a few days here!!!!!) all day with a top temp at 1.1c for Orly airport , the wind is slowly starting to pick up and from 7 pm local time to now 7 44 pm the sky almost completely cleared itself!!!!! and temp dropping much faster than yesterday.So tonight is the start of cold wave proper here in Paris.

Locally temps could go below -8c in less urban suburbs.It is just a start!!!!!!!

4 nights forecasted where i could reach or nearing -10c!!!!!

Ps: also till sunday no temps above -2c for Paris and all suburbs!!!!!!!

Edited by jean91

Posted

Had we the snow cover temps at the moment would be much lower than they are. This cold spell so far is a relatively average type of cold spell and I suspect it will go down as another one of those 'so near yet so far easterly events that failed to deliver'. Greenland highs are much more likely to guarantee deep cold and snowy action - easterlies have to be perfectly positioned and it is much harder to get the optimum sustained cold snowy easterly set up as we saw in Jan 87 and Feb 91 - these are rare beasts.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had we the snow cover temps at the moment would be much lower than they are. This cold spell so far is a relatively average type of cold spell and I suspect it will go down as another one of those 'so near yet so far easterly events that failed to deliver'. Greenland highs are much more likely to guarantee deep cold and snowy action - easterlies have to be perfectly positioned and it is much harder to get the optimum sustained cold snowy easterly set up as we saw in Jan 87 and Feb 91 - these are rare beasts.

Gimmie a greenland high anyday over this. Easterlies often promise so much and in the end deliver nothing too special . As you say with easterlies everything has to be positioned just right all the pieces of the jigsaw have to be in place for a special cold spell when it comes to easterlies for the BI anyway .More often then not they arent. With greenland highs things are generally more favourable for special cold spells and with them there is less of the "will the cold come or will it not",will it,wont it. Things are usually more clear cut when it comes to greenland highs.

Posted

I want severe frosts.. but there is just too much darn cloud... what kind of cold spell is this? One of those easterlies that everyone in eastern England dreads.. cloudy, cloudy and no cold night temperatures.. is it thunderstorm season yet!?

Hey man ,at least you are on the other side of he pennines ,more prone to snow in general.Im in manchester[low level,80asl] ,so for me,it has been less cloudy and moderatly frosty.So ,actually probably at moment similar to Leeds.Lets see if we get a good frontal snow event eh.If not,hey,nevermind.Winter is not over yet. Edited by greybing

Posted

Gimmie a greenland high anyday over this. Easterlies often promise so much and in the end deliver nothing too special . As you say with easterlies everything has to be positioned just right all the pieces of the jigsaw have to be in place for a special cold spell when it comes to easterlies for the BI anyway .More often then not they arent. With greenland highs things are generally more favourable for special cold spells and with them there is less of the "will the cold come or will it not",will it,wont it. Things are usually more clear cut when it comes to greenland highs.

I agree,but at least it is actually cold at the moment with better odds for more cold and or snow than nov,dec and most of jan.

Posted

look at theses temps below for my area ( south of Paris)-7,2c not bad and a windchill of -15c!!!just a start tomorrow should be 3 to 5c colder!!!

france_now.png

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

look at theses temps below for my area ( south of Paris)-7,2c not bad and a windchill of -15c!!!just a start tomorrow should be 3 to 5c colder!!!

france_now.png

Bonjour Jean,

Makes me shiver just looking at that map, Europe well and truly in the freezer. Polar Bears on the Seine, soon! :cold:

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

france_now.png

Yep looks like it is going to be a challenging weekend in France... I will be getting my usual flight home out of Gatwick to Bordeaux tomorrow afternoon escaping the UK snow just in time, only to see it fall on the Charente on Sunday, so not sure how good my chances will be of getting back to Gatwick on Monday. Wife says it is currently -8C in the garden!

FC

Posted

Has anybody else recorded their lowest temperature since Christmas Night 2010?

Last night's minimum was -4.2c which was colder than any night since the aforementioned date!

Posted

Quick answer am at work!!!!!! : not yet On the 26th december 2010 -7.8c for Orly Airport and this morning -7.5C at 09h00 hours local time theses are the 2 lowest since the 26th december 2010.Tomorrow low forecasted -9c to -11c here ( will be hard to reach -12c i think) .Will let you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Seems as though the MetO weather warning pages are broken.

Slight ramp in traffic methinks?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-5.7c last night, the coldest since December 2010. Sitting @ 1.7c now. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

The weather this week has been really not that cold here, Certainly no frost to speak of. It's set to turn milder by Saturday with rain and temperatures up to 10 /11 by Monday, so yet another non event for the west of the UK.

Today was actually quite pleasant in the sunshine. Current conditions are plus 4, and partly cloudy, but very dry.

The largely snowless winter here is set to continue I'm afraid..

Posted

Has anybody else recorded their lowest temperature since Christmas Night 2010?

Last night's minimum was -4.2c which was colder than any night since the aforementioned date!

I haven't the data to hand but I would suspect we did here with -4.1C which is quite cold for these parts.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Lowest so far here is -3.7C on Jan 15th 2012 cloud has been been the main culprit in keeping the temps up. The present cold spell looks like -2.5C being the lowest so far.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Forecast is for -5C in Leeds tonight which should be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The lowest temperature of the winter so far occurred just after 0900 this morning with a minimum of -2.8c. Tonight may be colder if the cloud clears but it's not showing any signs of breaking yet.

Posted

We've actually just dropped to 0.0C for the first time during this spell.

Temperatures so far have beeb pretty static between 1-3C most of the time.

Posted

You know its cold when snow is falling in Bilbao and Santander in northern Spain!

It's been the coldest day here since the winter of 2009/2010, top temperature scraped upto -3c, snow started falling this morning and has continued on and off throughout the day, what was great about this snow was the powdery nature and not that horrible wet stuff thats a pain to shovel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Powdery stuff can be a pain when it blows straight off your shovel though. Made laugh in Autumn when a women working for the local council was going on about how easy it was to clear snow. I bet she's never tried shovelling a foot of wet snow in her life. It ain't easy it's bloomin tiring and is one of the reasons some unfit folk suffer heart attacks.

Going back to poundary stuff I did once clear part of a path once using a garden vac on blow.

Posted

Shap got down to -9 degrees last night, suspect we saw -6 or -7 degrees, which would make last night probably the coldest since christmas day 2010. We saw -5 degrees on the 18 Dec 2011 and also 14/15 jan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Coldest here this year so far, down to -3.6c at the moment and had a light snow flurry about an hour ago