Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Ian Fergusson suggest latest from UKMO is for a snowy breakdown in Southern, Central and Eastern parts! Maybe the East of our region might get something then!

Its a long shot but a straw definitely worth clutching, you never know everything could end up 50-100 miles further west if the cold air proves to be a little more stubborn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Its a long shot but a straw definitely worth clutching, you never know everything could end up 50-100 miles further west if the cold air proves to be a little more stubborn.

In my experience breakdowns from the West or Northwest never bring anything other than a brief flirt with wintriness on its leading edge. A breakdown from the SW however can be much more interesting. However, despite this one coming from the NW with such a cold block out east who knows.

Edited by Gibby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

In my experience breakdowns from the West or Northwest never bring anything other than a brief flirt with wintriness on its leading edge. A breakdown from the SW however can be much more interesting. However, despite this one coming from the NW with such a cold block out east who knows.

Thats what I was thinking also... angle of atack doesnt seem good for us and half hour of wet snow turning to rain is not my idea of a 'wintry' breakdown and kind of why I was pinning my hopes on a decent fall of snow sunday night. I mean alright we may get a reload of cold air after a brief milder interlude but then we are back to square one waiting for cold in FI to reach us by which point it is heading into middle of february and proper snow events with it laying for days dwindle rapidly with ever strenghening sun against us.

Maybe i'm being pesemistic but doesn't bode well. :unsure:

bye bye ice day 0.1c :wallbash:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Sunday is likely to be unsettled and mostly cloudy with a band of rain and snow lying north to south across the country. Although there remains considerable uncertainty regarding exactly where this band will lie central and eastern parts are most likely to see snow and/or ice, with perhaps some significant falls of snow in places. Less cold in the north and west, but remaining cold elsewhere. Into next week, eastern, central and southern areas are likely to become more settled with a good deal of dry weather. Temperatures here are likely to stay cold, perhaps even very cold for some. Northern and northwestern areas then remaining unsettled with rain and strong winds at times but less cold. The cold theme looks likely to continue into the following week

NOT LOOKING GREAT FOR SOUTH WEST ,,,,,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I like how they haven't really mentioned the south west! The cold is never going to be all that far away from the East of our region though, with the mildest weather in the north and north west! That definetly isn't suggestive of the Atlantic breaking through the whole country, however it does so suggest for our region!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I thought that latest met update wasn't too bad for our region, uncertain about where that band of precipitation will be at the weekend and certainly no mention of mild south westerly winds.

Posted

I thought that latest met update wasn't too bad for our region, uncertain about where that band of precipitation will be at the weekend and certainly no mention of mild south westerly winds.

it will all depend on the angle this comes in at , the milder 850's are always going to be more milder in the West as we are clsoest to the Atlantic . If the "mini" breakdown (I use the word mini as the METO seem pretty sure were gonna get a Cold spell part 2) was coming from the South West it would be a Snowfest for us as the Front would move in with the Cold air in place , but as the breakdown wants to come in from the North West it gives alot more time for the Milder air to creap into the West before the PPN even gets here. Future runs needed but needless to say the Cold spell part 2 looks more likely to come from a Greenland block and this will be much more in our favour regarding any Snow. A lot of good and bad about at the moment ..

Posted

The battleground situation doesn't sound to good for us, but it does look as though any milder weather will be short lived as colder air comes back to us, especially Eastern areas of our region and the milder air retreating away North Westwards. It could be worse, we could be in Northern Ireland! Lol

Posted

I'm expecting nothing this weekend i'm terms of snow, i'm also not writing of the chance of seeing some fall again but what I like about the current extended met outlook is talk about the possibility of cold east winds coming back after this weekend and into next week, at the moment they're certainly not mentioning typical south westerly dominated weather.

Posted

There is a GFS 0z Snowfall chart just posted in the model thread! If this is where the Met Office roughly expect the front to stall, then Eastern areas of our region could still be in business

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

There is a GFS 0z Snowfall chart just posted in the model thread! If this is where the Met Office roughly expect the front to stall, then Eastern areas of our region could still be in business

Yeah man. Looks like end of this week and weekend may be good for snow.

Posted

And the 30 dayer is also good! Below average temps and above average rainfall in Southern Britian can only mean one thing! All in all, apart from this weekend possibily, they are forecasting a cold four weeks ahead! My spirits are raised, bring it on I say!

Posted

And the 30 dayer is also good! Below average temps and above average rainfall in Southern Britian can only mean one thing!

Yea 3c/4c and heavy cold rain/sleet lol !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Interesting if that was to come of most of somerset and bristol area could get some good snow with upland areas of devon as well maybe? long way off though.

As my hero Gandalf would say there was never much hope... just a fools hope. :rofl:

Lowest max temp of the winter so far here it peaked at 1.0c and now falling again 0.6c

Edited by mullender83

Posted

meto has snow then sleet on the forcast for devizes sat :)

Same for here too, I've no doubt that will change between now and Saturday though.

Posted

exactly, it will be a nowforcast event, but if there have the same for you... Im fealing hopefull about my poisition, as the more east of the region should be better off?