Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Haha I wish it was although I still cannot believe I missed all of the largest snow events to hit westcountry in last 4 years while seeing nothing on holiday to have a break from skiing holidays for one year only to get nothing so far! :nonono:

Well, Dont worry. I personally hold you accountable hehehe.

However, I think we may be in for some fun at the weekend... Lets just hope the west doesnt push too hard.. but just hard enough lol

Our ONLY chance with beasterlies is from the west.. We can only hope that we get a very nice cool pool of air and then hope that the west tries but fails.. A nice stalled front right down the western side of the UK would be great hehehe with cold air blasting on one side and -10 uppers on the western side with maybe 30mm per hour PPN.

Shazam!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

whens our next snow? haha

Well Im no septic peg but i'd say there is a fairly good chance of some around the week of the 19th of jan 2013.... :rolleyes:

Posted

Well Im no septic peg but i'd say there is a fairly good chance of some around the week of the 19th of jan 2013.... :rolleyes:

Haaha its heading that way! did you get any today?

Posted

Haaha its heading that way! did you get any today?

A little bit of wet snow this morning but not much.

Oh and you may get a realy good cold spell next january! As Im doing a 2 week stint for my 30th bday. :drinks:

Oh smartie didn't your avatar used to move!??

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Now I know why the 80s was much more fun in these situations, no internet to check weather models, no 5 minute radars & only a few forecasts on tv during the day instead of every 30 mins like now! It was a case of looking outside your front door and seeing what was happening, was sooooo less stressfull back then compared to now :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Now I know why the 80s was much more fun in these situations, no internet to check weather models, no 5 minute radars & only a few forecasts on tv during the day instead of every 30 mins like now! It was a case of looking outside your front door and seeing what was happening, was sooooo less stressfull back then compared to now :rofl:

I so agree with you there. It's rather depressing popping over to the model thread. They are all at each others throats if the models don't go to plan, and for someone who doesn't understand them, it's very confusing as all I understand is the moodiness! Grrrr!

Just from spending 5 mins in there I don't know hats happening, someone saying its all over, someone else saying only the east will get the cold weather.... So annoying! I wish I wasn't so snow obsessed! I wouldn't spend half my day obsessing over the what ifs... I need to be revising not doing this, but I can't stop myself!

Posted

Well, Dont worry. I personally hold you accountable hehehe.

However, I think we may be in for some fun at the weekend... Lets just hope the west doesnt push too hard.. but just hard enough lol

Our ONLY chance with beasterlies is from the west.. We can only hope that we get a very nice cool pool of air and then hope that the west tries but fails.. A nice stalled front right down the western side of the UK would be great hehehe with cold air blasting on one side and -10 uppers on the western side with maybe 30mm per hour PPN.

Shazam!

Shazam god that goe's back to the late 60s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

We had light snow in the mourning and it was even begginning to settle but it stopped quite quickly.

At least it didn't end up being a damp squib here which is good.

Posted

We had light snow in the mourning and it was even begginning to settle but it stopped quite quickly.

At least it didn't end up being a damp squib here which is good.

hehe Mourning ... That is what you do when somebody dies ! I think you meant Morning lol. Glad you got something buddy, just see what happens now , I am sure we will get something decent before all is said and done ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nice to see that Bristol Airport is the coldest place on the UK Minimum table at -3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

gutted that i havent even seen 1 snowflake sob :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

morning all, nice and cold overnight -4.5c, the meto had us down for only 0c!

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

All iced up here in Stroud, with a bit of mist obscuring the view. First proper cold day of the cold spell? I know it snowed a bit here yesterday, but working outside in the sun after wasn't bitter cold.

Model thread is hinting at the breakdown this wk end being potentially short lived with cold returning very quickly - guess that means either big potential for snow for this bit of UK or if the high is too powerful nothing but more cold! Reckon snow will be on cards after wk end if cold remains though, similar to Dec 2010 with not a lot of notice! Like the radar watch, bit simpler than the models....

How's Dartmoor this am? Photos would be great.

Good luck in the coming days. SW

Posted

-2.2 last night in the back garden. Expecting it colder tonight. Interesting for us the weekend??? Maybe just maybe the block will hold against the Atlantic and gives us some real snow!!

Posted

Not that I'm going to go with it but the BBC has Bristol with snow and 7C or Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Not that I'm going to go with it but the BBC has Bristol with snow and 7C or Saturday.

morning,

by all accounts the meto have sort of come in line with the GFS with there overnight fax charts, but as you know it could all change shortly!!

on twitter Ian Ferguson was saying early yesterday evening the meto weren't buying into the gfs solutions!!!

the plot thickens, i think it will be a case of open the curtains on the day and now-casting .

fromey

Edited by fromey

Posted

I See a backtrack slightly from the meto since last night with a possible long snowy breakdown saturday into sunday however it is still along way off and will probably change once, twice if not many more times before we start to see what is going to really happen.

Damn I hope we get some thing reasonable from this cold spell lets hope milder air doesnt mix out the cold air before front turns up. :good:

On another note its a chilly morning outside -1.8c after an over night low of -4.4c :cold:

Edited by mullender83

Posted

morning,

by all accounts the meto have sort of come in line with the GFS with there overnight fax charts, but as you know it could all change shortly!!

on twitter Ian Ferguson was saying early yesterday evening the meto weren't buying into the gfs solutions!!!

the plot thickens, i think it will be a case of open the curtains on the day and now-casting .

fromey

Morning fromey,

That certainly seems to be the case. And Ian's tweets and forecasts are always refreshing to read/hear. As always I think next weekend's event will be better to forecast nearer the time. I in Egham will possibly benefit from some light snow showers off the North Sea this week but my guess is that next week's front will follow the same sort of track as yesterday's - as in not very far eastwards.

Worst case scenario, this would do: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1991/Rrea00119910131.gif Gave Bristol and surrounds a fair dump of snow.

Posted

Morning fromey,

That certainly seems to be the case. And Ian's tweets and forecasts are always refreshing to read/hear. As always I think next weekend's event will be better to forecast nearer the time. I in Egham will possibly benefit from some light snow showers off the North Sea this week but my guess is that next week's front will follow the same sort of track as yesterday's - as in not very far eastwards.

Worst case scenario, this would do: http://www.wetterzen...00119910131.gif Gave Bristol and surrounds a fair dump of snow.

Who the hell leaves their washing out in the snow??!! And look what happend 8 days later >>>>>>>>> BANG

Rrea00219910208.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Morning Southwesterners. I rarely post here so perhaps I should from now on. Conditions here this morning show a minimum here of -2.9C. Temperature just staggering up above freezing as I speak with cloudless if hazy skies. Should be like this for the rest of the week with a few cloudier spells at times. As regards to my thoughts on the weekend down here I feel that there is certainly a chance of a spell of snow in the east of our region while the far west should most likely see rain from the start. What is more possible is freezing rain as the warmer upper air crosses cold surface conditions, something we would be glad to avoid but the possibility is there. Thereafter, a spell of less cold air would be my bet with cold air out east poised at the first opportunity to return.

As some of you may know I used to post regular model reports and the most likely weather scenario for the UK. When I return to doing them in March I will modify it to include what each report means for us down here in the SW and post it here.

Edited by Gibby

Posted

Morning Southwesterners. I rarely post here so perhaps I should from now on. Conditions here this morning show a minimum here of -2.9C. Temperature just staggering up above freezing as I speak with cloudless if hazy skies. Should be like this for the rest of the week with a few cloudier spells at times. As regards to my thoughts on the weekend down here I feel that there is certainly a chance of a spell of snow in the east of our region while the far west should most likely see rain from the start. What is more possible is freezing rain as the warmer upper air crosses cold surface conditions, something we would be glad to avoid but the possibility is there. Thereafter, a spell of less cold air would be my bet with cold air out east poised at the first opportunity to return.

As some of you may know I used to post regular model reports and the most likely weather scenario for the UK. When I return to doing them in March I will modify it to include what each report means for us down here in the SW and post it here.

Said it a few times here recently, that I hate Atlantic breakdowns, snow to rain theres nothing worse. I am hoping that the block holds firm and pushes a little further west so we keep it as a snow event throughout.

Posted

We have a sparkling winter day! However I see the front is still lingering extremely close to the tip of Cornwall !

I wonder if we'll have the cloud from the East arriving later and the chance of a few snow grains/flurries.

Look forward to that thank you Martyn :) !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Ian Fergusson suggest latest from UKMO is for a snowy breakdown in Southern, Central and Eastern parts! Maybe the East of our region might get something then!

Posted

clinging on to an ice day by the skin of me teeth today!

current temperature -0.1cc

Its not going to happen 0.0c :aggressive: was looking forward to first of winter.

Edited by mullender83