Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow & Thunderstorms

Nah its only light snow, top of bleadon hill is probably got none either as its just not heavy enough, still its nice to see it falling though as apparently it never snows here in Weston according to someone on here lol

Some quite big flakes falling here on top of Bleadon Hill but like you say just not heavy enough, plus falling on wet ground doesn't help.

Nice to see though as i'd lost all hope for snow a few days ago! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

some of the classic 80s battleground scenarios sometimes had the mild air getting into the western side of the UK, only for the cold to push back west soon after so who knows, this weekend could be similar, it really wouldn't surprise me if any lp at the weekend didn't even get as far east as some of the models are currently showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

morning all.

just nip into the MOD and things look better today. :good:

still have light snow falling with the occasional bigger flakes.

have a good day

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Still snowing in Nailsea, but very light & not settling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Ahaha, you gotta love the model thread.

yesterday it was all doom and gloom and now its full of upgrades and perfect charts again.

ha.

That is all.

Posted

Ahaha, you gotta love the model thread.

yesterday it was all doom and gloom and now its full of upgrades and perfect charts again.

Shame the 06z is cannon fodder as Steve murr has said on many occasions but the 00z was also better than yesterdays output and I hear the 00z and 12z from the gfs are the most accurate so here's hoping for a good set of models this afternoon.

Posted

Still light snow on and off here, met office weather has a rain symbol for us at midday so just goes to show how accurate that is, looking forward to the end of the week now to see what happens with these weather systems fighting with the block out east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well I came out after my 4 hour meeting :lazy: and the snow in whitchurch has melted but hills across dundry (150m) still look white so looking forward to getting home to see if any is left on mendip by evening.

Any chances later in week as I have not the time to check models ect?

Posted

Met office has issued severe weather alert 3 for whole of England for severe cold weather. Looks like at least the air is here now.

Posted

Yep , Just a matter of sitting back and waiting as things develop now over the Week , if they get any Streamers going in the East they can often reach the Eastern side of our county . Break down Snow at the end of the Week also very possible although I think this breakdown will be very short lived or pushed back a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Met office has issued severe weather alert 3 for whole of England for severe cold weather. Looks like at least the air is here now.

saw that but it also says that milder air will arrive saturday- saturday night :sorry:

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looks like a dry cold week now before milder weather this weekend. Would be nice if just for once we could get our classic jackpot atlantic front stalling over the west and heavy snow for all!

Posted

13.00 Update

Still snowing!

Temp 1.3C

DP 1C

Seems to be settling here above about 230m although still melting.

dl

Edited by devon lad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks like a dry cold week now before milder weather this weekend. Would be nice if just for once we could get our classic jackpot atlantic front stalling over the west and heavy snow for all!

I think all the ingredients are there, just need them to fall in to place. Maybe the models will back away from the breakdown this weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Everyone is talking about it being largely dry/frosty this week... I thought in these kinds of set ups we could get snow at anytime? So how come all the forecasters are saying dry and frosty? :cc_confused:

Posted

Just quoted this from the model banter forum - mods I hope this is ok :) This leaves me with more enthusiasm! I was feeling positive yesterday, today, I'm scared!

Some parts of southeast England are sure to get buried in this set-up, you can't run that severe cold air across the North Sea without explosive streamer-o-genesis. Would say possibly two streamers diagonally across Kent into east Surrey and southeast Greater London, and potential for 30 cms or more. Thundersnow within that, there's even an upper level disturbance added in for effect. I should caution that it could be hit or miss with streamer bands, you can get in between them and see a lot less. Further north, more like 5-15 cm potential, gradient not as strong, but the odd lucky person could see 20-30 cms in east Midlands.

Don't think I've ever seen the 510 dam heading as far south into France and even northern Spain, quite a remarkable prospect, and perhaps similar to the historic 1709 setup that was particularly severe in France.

Conditions before Wednesday are going to be less severe although a bit on the wintry side, it's only when the main Siberian front arrives on Wednesday afternoon or evening that the real action will start.

Posted

Just had a call to say it's snowing near Dunkeswell on the Blackdown hills but not settling

It has been settling here about 4 miles from Dunkerswell since 6pm last night though melting slowly.

dl

Posted

Been a real mish mash here today near Ilch.. Rain, sleet then snow, then back again to sleet. Only 2c tho, so if we do see some breaks after dark it could get a tad Torville and Dean around here.

Edited by shedhead

Posted

Just quoted this from the model banter forum - mods I hope this is ok :) This leaves me with more enthusiasm! I was feeling positive yesterday, today, I'm scared!

Some parts of southeast England are sure to get buried in this set-up, you can't run that severe cold air across the North Sea without explosive streamer-o-genesis. Would say possibly two streamers diagonally across Kent into east Surrey and southeast Greater London, and potential for 30 cms or more. Thundersnow within that, there's even an upper level disturbance added in for effect. I should caution that it could be hit or miss with streamer bands, you can get in between them and see a lot less. Further north, more like 5-15 cm potential, gradient not as strong, but the odd lucky person could see 20-30 cms in east Midlands.

Don't think I've ever seen the 510 dam heading as far south into France and even northern Spain, quite a remarkable prospect, and perhaps similar to the historic 1709 setup that was particularly severe in France.

Conditions before Wednesday are going to be less severe although a bit on the wintry side, it's only when the main Siberian front arrives on Wednesday afternoon or evening that the real action will start.

I wouldn't get to hung up on that post, let alone scared, a large degree of poetic license has been used imo... :diablo:

Posted

Snowmadchrisuk do you think the front tomorrow night will make enough progress eastwards to effect us in SWest UK tomorrow.

Posted

I wouldn't get to hung up on that post, let alone scared, a large degree of poetic license has been used imo... :diablo:

Not really scared, just wishing for snow :):sorry: