Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or Snow

Whats the likelihood that if they tell us we won't get anything, that we end up getting a pasting. Has happened plenty of times before!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

3.6c here, not a cloud in sight but the SE'ly wind is making feel quite chilly, not bad in the sun though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Temp on the decline already, dewpoint falling quickly -1.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The South East reckon there going to get hammered :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Looking like it Cumbria Marra. However everything is in place here in the NW, we just need the precipitation.

Posted

Looks like cloud is predicted to filter westwards to cover much of N England overnight preventing much temp drop although they may well fall below freezing before it clouds over. Perhaps some light snow flurries here and there through Tuesday as the Meto have an occluded front lying down the spine of the country tomorrow.

Posted

I think well do well apparently the gfs is pushing the warm front back for the weekend however it's only one run, not consistent. Don't know what that would mean for us. I find I'm staring at every tiny cloud that comes over my house for snow potential

Posted

I think our best chances for snow will be anything that comes in from the west and pushes up against the cold air in the east. Hopefully with more vigerous & widespread activity than the front that fizzled out over the Irish sea the weekend just gone. I can see next weekends atlantic system being pushed back all the time by the block.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Just think guys, if we don't get any PPN during this spell lets hope the uppers drop enough and skies clear so we can atleast get a shot at some Diamond Dust.

Got it last winter during a very cold clear night which I had never seen it before, but walking to work that night it was clear then all of a sudden out of now where these little glittery particles started to fall. The remaining water particles in the air were freezing and falling like glittery dust. Very nice to see and better than nothing :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_dust

Posted

I wouldn't lose faith the Atlantic had us by the dangly bits for the best part of 2 months so there could be a slight jab from the west at the weekend. Hopefully further east :)

Posted

The lightest of snow showers crossing the Pennines currently, hardly worth a mention but it's some precip of the day.

ye just let dogs out and while having a fag noticed the odd flake in the wind and i mean odd flake guess i can class it as a falling snow day lol but nothing showing on radar

Posted

I think our best chances for snow will be anything that comes in from the west and pushes up against the cold air in the east. Hopefully with more vigerous & widespread activity than the front that fizzled out over the Irish sea the weekend just gone. I can see next weekends atlantic system being pushed back all the time by the block.

I tend to agree with this, as is normally the case with this kind of set up. Still we have had our fun for the last 2 winters haven't we ?

Just hope we can get some frontal snow out of it eventually.

Posted

Very cold in the light breeze, down to 2.7c after a high of 3.4c. Clear skies with the odd patch of cloud, the mountains are doing a good job of keeping the solid cloud sheet to the east which is breaking up as it moves westwards.

Dew point -2.0c

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,frost and fog

Cloudy and dry here in bootle (near Liverpool) may see some Fog tonight temp 2 deg at the moment . nOt sure if this cloud building is just high cloud or if it might contain a few grains of snow or something wintry.

Anyone in the area with more knowledge care to comment?

Posted

The sun is strengthening all the time now, it would have even colder should this have happened 6 weeks ago.

This a common misconception, the coldest or warmest time of the year on average do not coincide with the solstices. There is a thermal lag and the coldest and warmest times of the year on average actually occur about a month after the solstices. Hence why February on average is a colder month than December.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Yes statistically February is colder than December as we are normally plagued with the Atlantic during this month , The sun is definitely stronger now than it was during December and certainly made short work of the frost this morning.

But yes, no disputing Feb is the coldest month.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Just think guys, if we don't get any PPN during this spell lets hope the uppers drop enough and skies clear so we can atleast get a shot at some Diamond Dust.

Got it last winter during a very cold clear night which I had never seen it before, but walking to work that night it was clear then all of a sudden out of now where these little glittery particles started to fall. The remaining water particles in the air were freezing and falling like glittery dust. Very nice to see and better than nothing :D

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Diamond_dust

You're really clutching at straws now mate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It's currently +3.3C (dropping fast), with a dewpoint of -4.0C!! :o

Clear as a bell after a brief cloudy period. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Cloudy and dry here in bootle (near Liverpool) may see some Fog tonight temp 2 deg at the moment . nOt sure if this cloud building is just high cloud or if it might contain a few grains of snow or something wintry.

Anyone in the area with more knowledge care to comment?

It's simply the remnants of the cloud feeding in from the North Sea. The Pennines usually make short work of anything attempting to cross from the East, but clearly it's become evident that the Pennines are not stopping them completely.

They will however stop any showers, so chances of any precipitation at all is slim to none.

Posted

Thanks backtrack-ahh well back to the snow dance!! Love cold frosty days but would prefer some snow in the mix-nothing better than a grey sky and waiting for these first few flakes to fall.

What is the latest on our chances of snow later in the week?

Posted

Fast drop here, down to 0.3c already. dew point -4.0c, clear skies.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Not dropping that fast here-still 3degrees despite skies clearing