Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

3.5C, cold but sunny.

Sun is feeling warm now.

Cold spell? Where?

Posted
Posted · Hidden by HotCuppa, February 1, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by HotCuppa, February 1, 2012 - No reason given

That is incorrect, much of the snowfall occurred during the NE'ly flow with mesocale and trough features developing and pushing south to south west over our region from the NE.

We originally had a north easterly yes, but then at some point it changed to a north westerly..i remember seeing the snow up in the north east, but we barely if ever got anything from it..when we then got the north westerly...we had a lot of convectivity off the irish sea which gave us a lot of snow down here.

Posted

See my post in the model thread to get an idea of what COULD happen on Saturday:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72406-model-output-discussion-12z-31st-january-2012/page__pid__2235981__st__340#entry2235981

PS - Osamabinsledgin, I see you lurking, that is the greatest name I have ever seen.

Made me laugh so much! :D

Posted

3.5C, cold but sunny.

Sun is feeling warm now.

Cold spell? Where?

I agree what cold spell? funny thing is weatherbug for the android, is predicting temps dropping tomorrow and friday, to near freezing and lows of -9C with a considerable wind chill of -15C for us. They even think there will be snow come friday night / saturday morning.

We can't seem to get much below -2/-3C at the moment, and their accuracy as a lot to be desired certainly, but occasionally they get it spot on.

I would not be surprised to see snow friday/saturday morning as that warm front pushes through bringing moisture with it..if temps are going to be that low, it will be interesting to see if we get significant frontal snow...not holding my breath on this one, but i still think maybe we have a chance possibly only chance for a while at least, only issue is, time is most definitely not on our side

Posted

Current temperature 3.2C

Dew point -3.4C

Windspeed: 14k/PH

Wind Direction: East

Windchill: -0.4C

Barometer: 1036mb Steady

Ill get forecast from friend at the airport in an hour or two

Yesterday again remained bone dry, not a single flake or grauple.

Uniform dark cloud all day, cleared overnight, then wind arrived

and scuppered any real chance of having a decent overnight low

-2.6C

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I'm starting to ask myself if we're going to get below -1C tonight either?

It could easily get down below -5C tonight, -7C a possibility with -9C not out of reach, but the wind is blowing at 20mph at the moment, it's giving a significant wind chill yes, but when it's that strong, you're not going to go below freezing, even under clear skies with uppers of -20C.

Saturday has potential, keep an eye on the METARS and TAFS from the airports, and see what your mate thinks come Friday morning :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Rain for me then looking at BT charts on the model thread, im at 3c whilst everyone south of cumbria have below 0c even right on the coasts. Dewpoints are 1c for me and Liam anyone south of me have below 0c, why does this always happen!? i give up

Posted

Rain for me then looking at BT charts on the model thread, im at 3c whilst everyone south of cumbria have below 0c even right on the coasts. Dewpoints are 1c for me and Liam anyone south of me have below 0c, why does this always happen!? i give up

Don't pay attention to that model run.

It's a higher resolution yes, but it's still the 06z. It has the worst verification rate of all of the GFS's runs. Wait until the 12z.