Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Good fancy coming doing mine on Sunday then.

That pitiful bit we had on Friday night was too little to shovel off so it's still there in the bit where the car doesn't go.

If nothing else it shows how cold it's been since.

No probs, if it means we get snow lol! Desperate times

Posted

I reckon the front would be delayed by about 24 hours, this usually happens the closer we get to it. The block is always underestimated by the models.

About the positioning I really do not know, I can't see it staying out far west but it seems unlikely to sweep through the whole of the UK.

Either way I'm siding with snow throughout over mainland UK, even if the front stalls what some may say too far west I reckon it would stay as snow, surface cold is likely to undercut the front. So for example places like Liverpool I can see seeing snow even if uppers rise to 0.c.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I reckon the front would be delayed by about 24 hours, this usually happens the closer we get to it. The block is always underestimated by the models.

About the positioning I really do not know, I can't see it staying out far west but it seems unlikely to sweep through the whole of the UK.

Either way I'm siding with snow throughout over mainland UK, even if the front stalls what some may say too far west I reckon it would stay as snow, surface cold is likely to undercut the front. So for example places like Liverpool I can see seeing snow even if uppers rise to 0.c.

See this is where the problem lies.

Ok, uppers of 0C, you'd get snow falling from the cloud, but melting as it hits the warmer pool of air sat on top of the denser, colder air at the surface. If the uppers rise to 0C, it will without a doubt be freezing rain.

Posted

See this is where the problem lies.

Ok, uppers of 0C, you'd get snow falling from the cloud, but melting as it hits the warmer pool of air sat on top of the denser, colder air at the surface. If the uppers rise to 0C, it will without a doubt be freezing rain.

Perhaps down to geography but I've seen snow with uppers in excess 0.c at sea level under an Atlantic front with cold air undercutting.

Posted

Perhaps down to geography but I've seen snow with uppers in excess 0.c at sea level under an Atlantic front with cold air undercutting.

Yeah so have I.

I'm wondering if the intensity of the precipitation could also lower the temperature of a warmer pool of air sat just above the surface (around 500m up) as evaporative cooling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think too much is being made of the breakdown, it looks like a typical breakdown to me, there is no evidence that dewpoints will hold down.. this will be a straightforward snow-rain change. The Azores High buckles against the block initially, but this you would expect, but then it flattens out, which is also what you would expect.

Fairly run of the mill stuff.

As for tonight, well the cloud has gone, and the wind has gone, and what we have now its calm clear night where temperatures will fall to maybe -4 to -6C by dawn.

But not in Runcorn where they will remain at +1C

Posted

I think too much is being made of the breakdown, it looks like a typical breakdown to me, there is no evidence that dewpoints will hold down.. this will be a straightforward snow-rain change. The Azores High buckles against the block initially, but this you would expect, but then it flattens out, which is also what you would expect.

As for tonight, well the cloud has gone, and the wind has gone, and what we have now its calm clear night where temperatures will fall to maybe -4 to -6C by dawn.

The BBC seem to think this is a very complicated battle scenario, I'd tend to agree too.

Leave my temperature out of this! It's sat nicely at 0.0C right now with a DP of -3.3C, am I beating you? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

LOL nothing like a bit of a reality check. In all fairness though Stephen, the ECM set up would maintain the snow for the duration of the 'event' as would the GEM.

Posted

LOL nothing like a bit of a reality check. In all fairness though Stephen, the ECM set up would maintain the snow for the duration of the 'event' as would the GEM.

18z to follow suite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

0.0C BT, is that actual or after adjustments?

0.5C here

I can't see the ECM maintaining for the duration, and even if the snow does last most of the duration, the milder air would infiltrate the next day.

Recm1201.gif

The snow here would occur, and I think we would possibly keep a fair few hours of it.

Recm1441.gif

But by here you really are losing time, the snow would turn to normal rain here.

Truthfully Ive never seen freezing rain in my life, it would be a first.

Posted

Well its certainly not what the met think, 50/50 chance of disruptive snowfall and cold weather persisting.

post-8968-0-25344800-1328043813_thumb.pn

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

You say fairly run of the mill stuff but how many such breakdowns have you actually experienced in your lifetime?

Posted

0.5C here

0.5C on the roof station (0.0C with adjustments)

0.3C on the yard station (-0.2C with adjustments)

Posted

You say fairly run of the mill stuff but how many such breakdowns have you actually experienced in your lifetime?

I have seen them before - they don't favour the coast here, so maybe my view is a little IMBY, they do tend to favour inland though to be fair.

Posted

0.5C here

I can't see the ECM maintaining for the duration, and even if the snow does last most of the duration, the milder air would infiltrate the next day.

Recm1201.gif

The snow here would occur, and I think we would possibly keep a fair few hours of it.

Recm1441.gif

But by here you really are losing time, the snow would turn to normal rain here.

Truthfully Ive never seen freezing rain in my life, it would be a first.

Freezing rain....ahhhhh we had some brutal freezing rain last year between the late November/mid December cold spells.....I'll tell you this now, it's no exaggeration to say it was like a skating rink....there must have been inch thick ice deposited in some places round here- almost impossible to walk on the pavements safely when it's like that.

Posted

Yeah far from run of the mill stuff. You have a weak front which is boosted by a shortwave developing, but at ther same time the surface air is real cold and its rather rare for an Atlantic warm front to be running into dew points of -6/7C. That screams significant snowfall and once it settles the Albedo effect/Evap cooling will keep the whole going longer than the synoptics and uppers would normally suggest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

What we could do with is a Feb 1979 failed type of breakdown.

Plenty of snow blown about by plenty of wind with plenty more cold waiting in the wings and not a sniff of rain.

Posted

Yeah far from run of the mill stuff. You have a weak front which is boosted by a shortwave developing, but at ther same time the surface air is real cold and its rather rare for an Atlantic warm front to be running into dew points of -6/7C. That screams significant snowfall and once it settles the Albedo effect/Evap cooling will keep the whole going longer than the synoptics and uppers would normally suggest.

Kold, my only concern would be that the milder Atlantic air will be sitting on top of the colder air, turning the snow to rain before it reaches the ground, with the embedded surface cold refreezing the rain, creating freezing rain.

Is this likely?

Posted

hmm by the way I'm not suggesting we won't get snowfall, far from it, I think we have the chance of a very significant fall of snow.. I'm challenging the idea that milder air won't change the snow to rain, and bring milder air in. The Met-office say that milder air will make inrodes to north and west Britain, which is us, so I would expect, with a change to westerly airflow, at least the coastal areas will lose the real cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A slight rise in temp over the last 10 mins to -2.6c after touching -3.3c. Still very cold.

A chart from weatheronline showing the minimum temps last night over the NW, notice St Bees Head situated right on the Cumbrian coast which recorded the lowest temp excluding the high level station @ Great Dun Fell which touched -6.0c. Also Hawarden down to -5.0c

Due to the wide scatter of the weather stations then no doubt many locations could have reached lower than these values, but we shall never know.

post-9615-0-70431500-1328044644_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Temperature stalled on 0.0C WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

Posted

Temperature stalled on 0.0C WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

-1.1 here and falling

Wouldn't be surprised to see -4/-5 by the early hours

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

-1.1 here and falling

Rubbing it in. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

Posted

-1.2 now lol

I'm moving to Greenland.