Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes that night back in Dec 2010, there was a slight breeze from the SW, but Ness didn't get it, and therefore their temperature just plummeted.

You could be right BT, I think youll get below -1C but maybe not much below?

Here it all depends on cloud cover, but it's -2.3C now. No sign of the infamous level off.. is that good news.. well perhaps from a cold lovers perspective, but given I hate getting up to walk to work in the cold, I'm not so enthused.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yes that night back in Dec 2010, there was a slight breeze from the SW, but Ness didn't get it, and therefore their temperature just plummeted.

You could be right BT, I think youll get below -1C but maybe not much below?

Here it all depends on cloud cover, but it's -2.3C now. No sign of the infamous level off.. is that good news.. well perhaps from a cold lovers perspective, but given I hate getting up to walk to work in the cold, I'm not so enthused.

I'm starting to think -0.2C is my limit.

It's back to -0.2C now, and it's refusing to drop.

Posted

0c here according to desktop gadget. Hardly beast from the east stuff. Maybe it will be lower tomorrow night, but after that....?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wednesday and Thursday night look likely to be the coldest of the week as some real cold air moves in briefly along with light winds for both Wed & Thur. Things probably becoming less cold by Friday night.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

A serious wind chill out there.

Very cold. :cold:

post-8895-0-86410700-1328054910_thumb.pn

Posted

Apparently it's -29C at Stephen's house, so my wind chill has nothing on his air temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

lol decimal point went roving.

Posted

Freezing cold this morning, minimum temp this side of midnight -5.5c and it's current;py -4.3c. Dew point -6.7c.

Woke up about 6am and went to switch the heating on an hour early. :cold:

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Freezing cold this morning, minimum temp this side of midnight -5.5c and it's current;py -4.3c. Dew point -6.7c.

Woke up about 6am and went to switch the heating on an hour early. :cold:

And on the other side of the pennines, it's 2.5c this morning, albeit with very dry air.

A testament to the strength of them hills really- another stratiform day awaits.

Posted

And on the other side of the pennines, it's 2.5c this morning, albeit with very dry air.

A testament to the strength of them hills really- another stratiform day awaits.

Quite a marked difference east of the hills then! The cloud broke up here yesterday evening with the temp hitting 0c before 17.30. The current conditions are the best they get for low temperatures and frosty nights for my location, offshore easterly breezes with a very cold airmass in place and 8/10 times the cloud cover can't push west over the Pennines or Cumbrian Mountains.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

temp has plummeted this morning. Woke up at 0530 and felt quite mild outside with the nearest station reading +0.4. 2 hrs later and feels quite raw outside especially in the breeze and the temp has only dropped to -0.2. but feels much colder.

Think it time i bought a weather station.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Morning all, temp here 0.1c with only a slight frost. I really thought it would have been colder than that. When is the real cold supposed to kick in? I'm out tonight so want to dress accordingly

Posted

A slight rise to -3.7c here. Could be close to an ice day but I'm not sure as the sun has that extra oomph now. St Bees head is down to -3.0c.

Another very cold night coming up later.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Morning everyone! A low of -0.7c last night. Currently -0.2c

Posted

My sensor tablet has been misreading, I did suspect this for a while, but the difference is not huge. The history and sensor display both said the same but the tablet reading was different, so the actual minimum last night was still cold though at -2.5C.

Need a new tablet.. but that wont be easy to source on its own.

Currently 1.0C

Posted
Posted · Hidden by SP1986, February 1, 2012 - double posting
Hidden by SP1986, February 1, 2012 - double posting

My sensor tablet has been misreading, I did suspect this for a while, but the difference is not huge. The history and sensor display both said the same but the tablet reading was different, so the actual minimum last night was still cold though at -2.5C.

Need a new tablet.. but that wont be east to source on its own.

Currently 1.0C

Posted

Two hours later it's +0.1c a 4 degree rise with the stronger February sun getting to work now.

Posted

1.9c in the shade here and I guess it wll get 20 2.5 before falling back later.

Also it looks like it may be game over as we get to Friday as the atlantic sweeps in and the snow war will be over France as the cold is pushed east. I notice Toronto has stated they had a near record +10 over night and January has been very warm for Ontario and the atlantic is very active off the north american sea board as it heads east to us with warm air and a very strong low as it sweeps our cold east. Wel lets see what the models do later.

Posted

-1.1C was the minimum. Someone wake me up when this cold spell has started....

Too much wind for anything decent last night. It's 2.1C now, windy and sunny. If the wind persists, it will prevent the temperature falling tonight AGAIN.

Posted

1.5c here, everything still frozen solid in the shade.

Posted

Temps slightly higher up than yesterday (-1.7'c compared to 0.7'c today.) more evidentially is the lack of moisture in the lower levels resulting in freezing nights but no rime frosts in the morning. The DPs not allowing any moisture to freeze anywhere on surfaces as the air is simply too dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

The wind had picked up here. It was very 'still' when I got up about 8am, currently 11.2mph. Temp has risen to 2.4c, dewpoint -2c, there was a very slight frost first thing but it has gone now as the sun is shining brightly. Not looking forward to going out in the 'very cold' tonight brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted

Yeah well I gotta walk 3 miles in a wind chill of -3C.

Beat that. :rofl:

FYI - You can probably wave bye bye to any chances of snow on Saturday. Here's my latest post in the MOD.

Quite a change on the FAX charts this morning.

By 84hrs we see the warm front sweeping the country, it's already out in the North Sea

post-8895-0-01049400-1328096379_thumb.pn

Where as yesterday, it was yet to cross most of England.

post-8895-0-08857000-1328096384_thumb.pn

It would seem the Russian high isn't fussed. It just isn't strong enough to put up a fight against the Atlantic, and the Met Office seem to be downgrading the shallowness of the high each run - not good.

Still could be some snow on the leading edge, however it's now looking more like your classic snow, turning quickly to rain battleground.

Freezing rain could be a big issue as the cold will be embedded upon arrival of the front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

you changed your tune BT. last night it was 20cm snow for all nw eners

Posted

Personally I can't wait for that warm front to move back in and introduce some moisture again, cold is only good for snow lovers when it has the dew points to aid convective potential. In this setup the airmass has crossed so much continental landmass there simply isn't enough dew points (despite the North Sea SSTs) to aid any showers breaking out even when the surface charts have progged troughs & occluded fronts crossing the country. The reintroduction of moisture mixing in the atmosphere has at least favourability for us.