Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

3.6c here, may as well give up then aih?

Posted

i think direct coastal areas where a no go for snow to begin with, seems to be that it has stalled just off our coast..might be a good thing, wait for upper air to cool and see what plays out this afternoon / evening

my temp climbing to 2.3C, likely to see it max out at around 3C.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

This the the furthest extent eastwards that the high res NMM is predicting the ppn will reach, after this it starts to retreat and pivot eastwards becoming narrower as it does so.

post-9615-0-95200400-1327834420_thumb.pn

Posted

One look at this would tell you that the ppn falling should be falling at a decent rate, strange.

post-9615-0-32339100-1327833617_thumb.pn Black dot is roughly my location.

It is strange, I'm just on the edge of that band, nothing falling here. Looking west all the fells are visible, including Helvellyn, so the cloud base is quite high meaning little to no PPN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Were about 16 miles inland from southport coast, a bit further from Blackpool, its about 2.2 at the mo although feels warmer lol, its cloud cover and dry.

Posted

It is strange, I'm just on the edge of that band, nothing falling here. Looking west all the fells are visible, including Helvellyn, so the cloud base is quite high meaning little to no PPN.

Yes the visibility is very good this morning with mainly unrestricted clear views to the snow topped fells.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Looking better for the NW for snow later in the week/weekend going of this mornings output, the GFS has been toying with the Scandi block retrogressing towards Greenland on a few runs now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

I dont understand it for two days now showing monday and tuesday for us in the north west http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html. But yet bbc sky news on the telly last night and just now are just giving wales and south west, so whys the meto showing it extending above wales, us in other wrods?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Just a quick note.

There was quite a few events from last month in which the unexpected things happened, and the unexpected can happen again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Think of this as a trade off and sacrifice today's snow which, looking at temperatures will be at best slushy and worst rain for deeper embeded cold and a greater chance during the coming week.

Or get the Prozac ready for when the East gets buried under feet of snow and the NW becomes, as is often the case in these circumstances the Sunshine State.

Posted

Falling lightly on the IOM as rain. Temps far too high unfortunately :(

i used to live in iom in 1990s, i remember lots of rain to snow events, and even more rain to sleet events..... but one time we had rain in the early morning which got continuously heavier, turning to snow by 9am, then it snowed until 3pm by which time we had a level 12 inches..... that was fun......

Posted

I dont understand it for two days now showing monday and tuesday for us in the north west http://www.metoffice..._warnings.html. But yet bbc sky news on the telly last night and just now are just giving wales and south west, so whys the meto showing it extending above wales, us in other wrods?

The warning is just covering the Meto's back. They have to issue it if there is a risk of snow. Wales and the south west going by the radar are in a better position if any snow does fall as things stand...that precip is not coming inland at all, its just sliding south wards as it comes towards land

Posted

Rain pushing in from the west is expected turn to snow on the leading edge, with the potential for accumulations of several cm, especially on hills. For Wales and SW England the snow is expected to begin on Sunday, whilst further east it will begin on Monday morning. The public are advised to be aware of the potential for disruption to traffic. At this stage there remains considerable uncertainty in the eastern extent of any snow so please check for further updates.

met office update

http://www.metoffice...e_pressure.html

check T-24

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

May uave a problem hc fiddlers ferry clouds are moving n ley. Could that mean we are in the warm front as lp moves anti clockwise?

Posted

Every model run holds the precipitation slightly further out West as the front comes up against the block. I would now suggest most in the region would be unlikely to see any snow from this front.

Posted

I dont see how it could move north, there is no precip just high uniform clouds.

Every model run holds the precipitation slightly further out West as the front comes up against the block. I would now suggest most in the region would be unlikely to see any snow from this front.

Interstingly the warm front tries to move further towards us (west) before slipping south towards wales later today / tonight

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The front won't make much more progress eastwards, high res models show this well and it's starting to slowly pivot back on itself as the heights rise to the east.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Fiddlers ferr clods are much lower than the high cloud and are moving north over my house

Posted

strange, i dont see that happening here. I am not sure how they could move north considering the flow.

I reckon wait for tonight, if we are going to get anything, wait til after 6pm, temps , dps and upper air will be in a better position

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

You guys are full of false hope.

That front isn't going to move any further East. The Russian block is just too strong, it's holding it off nicely.

I suspect as the uppers fall in a couple of hours, the front will pep up even more over the Irish Sea, before sliding back Southwards gradually.

Where it is now, is where it's going to stay.

3.6C with a dewpoint well above 0C. This won't fall for a few hours either, so if it did some how push in, it'd be rain.

Posted

Fiddlers ferr clods are much lower than the high cloud and are moving north over my house

Winds are Se'ly so the base clouds will be moving N/NE along the front. SE'ly winds also helping to keep it away from much of our region and will align the front NW-SE as it retreats and pivots back.

Still bone dry here even though radars continue to show moderate ppn. Just as well it's dry as the temp has reached 3.8c with a dew of 1.5c.

post-9615-0-32538500-1327837202_thumb.pn Nothing at all from the sky, can you believe it!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

what a pain all that ppn in the irish sea lol

how ofton does that happen a front from the west not reaching us that big RH

doing us no favours today...country file weather on in a momemt

what the betting dry and cold all week for us..

C.S