Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Chance of any snowfall for us in the NW depends on SST temps, strength of that flow and wind direction, aswell as other combinational fators of heights/moisture content/dew points/etc. But going from the past 2 year trend in similar setups we (in the Pennines at least) had some of the heaviest snowfall to date with severe frosts ontop of that, I think it was Woodford 2 years ago that was the coldest place in England at least getting down to -17.6'c. As for shower activity itself a good stable occluded front/trough like the one coming in tomorrow should do us just fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Uppers below -5c now with -6c not far away according to Netw X. Still nothing falling but the sky seems to have darkened and the temp has fallen slightly to 4.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Chance of any snowfall for us in the NW depends on SST temps, strength of that flow and wind direction, aswell as other combinational fators of heights/moisture content/dew points/etc. But going from the past 2 year trend in similar setups we (in the Pennines at least) had some of the heaviest snowfall to date with severe frosts ontop of that, I think it was Woodford 2 years ago that was the coldest place in England at least getting down to -17.6'c. As for shower activity itself a good stable occluded front/trough like the one coming in tomorrow should do us just fine.

Thank you, and yes I remember that morning very well as I work near Stockport, and was very, very cold not to mention waiting for the 199 bus to get there, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Word from my cousin who's just came to my house - sleet near Stockport.

Posted

A webcam of Helsinki where our cold pooling is now making it's way across http://www.ek.fi/kamera/palace30.jpg in 48hr time that airmass will be approaching the eastern coast of the UK and (hopefully) driving in the showers from a associated occlusion.

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Bone dry here too just been cloudy all day

Posted

As I said it's bone dry, nothing falling at all. Took the dogs out on a walk not a hint of drizzle.

Yes I'm a little perplexed with the radar imagery today. It suggests much of the Lake District should be under precipitation now. But as you say there has been no precipitation so far. Not sure what is going on, the bbc forecast suggests precipitation only for Wales and SW England.

There is a marked difference in temps currently over the lakes - the west coast sat at 5 degrees, yet here it is only 2 degrees and I doubt it will creep much higher. A raw day but at least we have some nice snowy fells to look at.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Same here in north Wales - been sat under ppn for hours but it's bone dry. Drove into the middle of north Wales thinking it was because I was on the edge of it, but I didn't see a single flake or drop.

That's odd too, because Snowdon looks to have been absolutely plastered!

Posted

In the past god knows how long here even if there's one tiny cloud in the sky I've had rain and now the clouds are dark and it's 100% cloud cover there's not even one spot of drizzle. Not to mention it's colder in my house than outside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

you back bt or on your phone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Rofl what a joke, I know the front wasn't mean to head inland up here but most of it is staying well into the Irish sea. Don't think I've read anyone reporting snow in Wales or the SW either, only lots of rain and some sleet lololol

Posted

you back bt or on your phone

On my laptop in the car.

iPhone has personal hotspot, and since I'm on three, I get 5mb internet via my phone.

Rofl what a joke, I know the front wasn't mean to head inland up here but most of it is staying well into the Irish sea. Don't think I've read anyone reporting snow in Wales or the SW either, only lots of rain and some sleet lololol

Snow wasn't forecast in Wales until later in the afternoon when the uppers start to fall sharply from the East, as well as the dewpoints.

Posted

Net weather forecast has me down for 50% chance of snow from 1600hrs! How strange lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

On my laptop in the car.

iPhone has personal hotspot, and since I'm on three, I get 5mb internet via my phone.

Snow wasn't forecast in Wales until later in the afternoon when the uppers start to fall sharply from the East, as well as the dewpoints.

bt apparently snowdon has been white for days Edited by Saintpeter

Posted

bt apparently snowdon has been white for days

Only yesterday did it look snowy when I looked at the webcams, but the summits probably have had snow for ages, yeah.

I'll soon find out :D

Posted

It's like the front is coming up against an invisible barrier (anybody read Stephen King' 'The Dome') bit like that. Anyway with temps at 4c here, it would be rain most likely. Feels colder than 4c though. Roll on the rest of next week. Proper winter then, with regards to temps at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Feels cold, colder than before infact

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Maybe back track but have you seen the thickness, 850's and isotherm charts etc for now through tomorrow ?. The easterly flow is slack and more so the futher S and W you are. That warm front is actually pushing back the -5's so those in Wales and the SW are seemingly looking to stay under marginal conditions. If they get heavy snow under -3 and -4's I'll eat my hat as you used to say :p

Bristol is about the sweet spot (away from mountainous areas) if the PPN gets that far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think there is more chance of one of those tiny easterlies making it over the pennines than the precipitation to the west affecting our region.

Posted

I think there is more chance of one of those tiny easterlies making it over the pennines than the precipitation to the west affecting our region.

Funny isn't it, look all the the precipitation in the Irish sea and we are looking east lol!

Posted

Thats exactly what I was thinking as well, my NWeather forecast is showing a 60% chance of snow by 21.00 so maybe that's where it will come from, I can't see it coming from the West!

Posted

Maybe back track but have you seen the thickness, 850's and isotherm charts etc for now through tomorrow ?. The easterly flow is slack and more so the futher S and W you are. That warm front is actually pushing back the -5's so those in Wales and the SW are seemingly looking to stay under marginal conditions. If they get heavy snow under -3 and -4's I'll eat my hat as you used to say :p

Bristol is about the sweet spot (away from mountainous areas) if the PPN gets that far.

I don't mind about the rest of Wales, I'm heading to snowdon right now. :rofl:

DP's and temps will fall sharply according to the NMM though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

hello again everybody. it's been a while. yep all eyes to the east now. has been known to pay off but generally on a stronger breeze.

Edited by swainclubber

Posted

I don't mind about the rest of Wales, I'm heading to snowdon right now. :rofl:

DP's and temps will fall sharply according to the NMM though.

LOL, will be looking foward to seeing some pics if you happen to take any while you're there pal :)