Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Woo we have sleety stuff coming down! Its trying its hardest to snow, very cloudy out there, thing is according to the outside themometer, its 4.9 degrees? Surely it has to be colder?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS 144 shows just how a wee bit more amplification and a favourable tilt to atlantic troughing can be extremely conducive for a battleground next weekend.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20120129/18/144/h500slp.png

http://cdn.nwstatic....ctypeuktopo.png

This isnt like last feb, PV is shot to bits, teleconnections more favourable.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

GFS 144 shows just how a wee bit more amplification and a favourable tilt to atlantic troughing can be extremely conducive for a battleground next weekend.

http://cdn.nwstatic....ctypeuktopo.png

According to PPN chart we were meant to have snow all afternoon. Ziltch in reality.

That date in that chart is still an eternity away in my view with regards to snow forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

According to PPN chart we were meant to have snow all afternoon. Ziltch in reality.

That date in that chart is still an eternity away in my view with regards to snow forecasts.

To be honest i didnt anticipate ever getting anything as far east as our locations and the nearest the BBC forecast showed was manchester friday but they backtracked on friday night, today was always unlikely anywhere east of Wales.

EDIT : the 18z was not as good as i thought a front would stall over us but didnt, still strong heights over scandi and even retrogressing in line with GPs forecast, definately an improvement on the 12z.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well a few hours ago it was -1.0c with clear skies and a frost setting in nicely. In the last 20mins I've had light rain/sleet showers from the east which have washed away the frost! Clearing again now, temp 0.9c dew point 0.0c - thought it would have snowed with those values.

Posted

Picture taken today on the range behind Skiddaw, about 500-600m. nice depth. :)

post-9615-0-77338700-1327882269_thumb.jp

Also some pictures from the Lake District Ski Club! WOW.

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

post-9615-0-22630600-1327883365_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-87731200-1327883391_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Some serious drifts there, wow!

Cloud thinning here now, down to 2.6C :)

Posted

Cold without snow is not a good thing.

We have to rely on the very unpredictable fronts that may pass us.

We also have to rely on that easterly generating deep cold, and with it snow that is capable of passing the pennines.

Over all its not the best scenario if you ask me.

Ive said a number of times, we don't do particularly well out of easterlies, and unless a miracle can happen...and lets

be honest this winter season as been absolute dire for snow lovers, I just cannot see where or how we are likely

to get any snow here in the coming week ahead.

Temps are going to remain above freezing through the day, but if you believe the met, only on friday do we suceed in

having a full freezing day, when temps wont get above 0C.

The problem is, its also going to remain very settled and dry through out. So although we have the cold, we have it without

the snow. I just can't see the point.

Those cheering for the easterly, well this is what we have to look forward to.

We have one hope left and thats about it, down here in the south of the region.

When the warm front pivots it may send precip to our location but thats very much wishful thinking on my part.

It remained bone dry yesterday and last night..I think perhaps a continuation of this theme is likely.

We did not even make it to 0C last night stayed at 2.2C all night long due light winds and scattered clouds.

We never do well out of easterlies and ive no reason to think any different this time around.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Ive said a number of times, we don't do particularly well out of easterlies, and unless a miracle can happen...

And I've said a number of times, forecasts tend to underestimate snowfall amounts coming across the Pennines from an easterly. Putting my historial hat on here, the number of occasions I heard forecasts said mainly dry with the odd snow flurry with an easterly and we (at least in the Greater Manchester area) had more than that. Manchester recorded 21 days of snowfall during February 1986 and that was a very easterly February, one of Manchester's biggest snowfalls of the 1990s was on an easterly, the late January 1996 easterly. Some snow showers crossed the Pennines on Christmas Day 2000 on that easterly, we had frequent snow showers on the easterly of New Year's eve 1996. There are a lot of factors involved and I normally wouldn't expect inches of snow from an easterly let alone from an Arctic NWly but I find forecasts very much underestimate snowfalls at least in this part of the region on an easterly.

There is not much of an easterly in the coming days anyway, so I'm not sure many parts in the UK will see anything in the way of snow.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Cloud only just cleared here. According to the latest GFS there will be battleground situation on sunday that has pottential to bring loads of snow. But it wont get much warmer as the front is bomeranged back out and then north.

Posted

Clear and frosty this morning, calm winds. most things are glazed with ice after last nights shower which then frozen. Temp -1.2c.

Still going to enjoy this cold wintry period, even if I don't get any snow. But that would be a bonus.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

cloud is clearing and temp as dropped to 0.7C dewpoint has dropped to -1.3C.

I am looking at the precip over the extreme north west of scotland that seems to be heading directly for us.

Who knows what may happen.

Not sure if any snow fell over wales or south west last night or yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Got quite cold here in the early hours after all, currently 0.1c after a min of -0.1c as the cloud cleared.

Posted

Still -1.0c here DP -2.2c, I see Shap is down to -5.0c this morning. Brrr...

Our snow chances will be at the end of the week as the Atlantic makes a push eastwards running into the cold block of air. but even this isn't certain yet.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

0.6C after a low of -0.6C. Cleared last night to allow another air frost. Beautiful :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Cold without snow is not a good thing.

We have to rely on the very unpredictable fronts that may pass us.

We also have to rely on that easterly generating deep cold, and with it snow that is capable of passing the pennines.

Over all its not the best scenario if you ask me.

Ive said a number of times, we don't do particularly well out of easterlies, and unless a miracle can happen...and lets

be honest this winter season as been absolute dire for snow lovers, I just cannot see where or how we are likely

to get any snow here in the coming week ahead.

Temps are going to remain above freezing through the day, but if you believe the met, only on friday do we suceed in

having a full freezing day, when temps wont get above 0C.

The problem is, its also going to remain very settled and dry through out. So although we have the cold, we have it without

the snow. I just can't see the point.

Those cheering for the easterly, well this is what we have to look forward to.

We have one hope left and thats about it, down here in the south of the region.

When the warm front pivots it may send precip to our location but thats very much wishful thinking on my part.

It remained bone dry yesterday and last night..I think perhaps a continuation of this theme is likely.

We did not even make it to 0C last night stayed at 2.2C all night long due light winds and scattered clouds.

We never do well out of easterlies and ive no reason to think any different this time around.

Cheerful as ever eh HotCuppa :p

Posted

Cold without snow is great :p Dry sunny crisp days (like today) proper winter days, much more welcome that the seemingly endless weeks of mild wet and windy weather we have had up to now this winter.

Snow is a bonus granted, but any snow comes as a bonus to those of us in the NW.

Posted

Have to agree with hot cuppa, for those of us living in the west of the region away from the Pennines, hope the Atlantic will perk up enough to give some battleground snow before getting pushed back again...

Posted

Temp climbed to 1.7c, clear blue skies. Lovely :)

Bitterly cold from midweek as the real deep continental air takes over. The sun is strengthening all the time now, it would have even colder should this have happened 6 weeks ago.

Looking very dry for us in the NW, so the 06z is not epic or anything like that up here for snow prospects. Thats reserved for the south and east where the posts are rather bias at times in the MOD.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Air temp of 2.0c indicated here but in the shade of the house my car is still frozen solid after last nights showers then frost.

Deep cold arriving during Wednesday with uppers of -12 to -13c after midweek along with dew points between -5 to -10c, temperatures will be suppressed even further under the airmass. Unfortunately for anyone hoping for white frosty conditions it's a very dry airmass so frost won't readily form on surfaces but everything will still be frozen solid.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

-3.7'c recorded in Buxton overnight and a couple of reports of cars going of ungritted roads this morning across the tops, the low DPs I feel will be the main talking point about this easterly having crossed so much of Russia in a quick succession of time. It didn't really manage to hold that siberian airmass aloft long-enough to make it here.

Posted

Met Office cold weather alert increased to level 3 on this mornings update. milder by Saturday!

http://www.metoffice...ldweatheralert/

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in one or more regions of England

Issued at: Monday 30 January 2012 at 10:37

There is a 100% probability of severe cold weather between 1000 on Monday and 1000 on Friday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Milder conditions are likely to arrive during Saturday and Saturday night, with temperatures likely to rise above threshold values in all regions.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Temp climbed to 1.7c, clear blue skies. Lovely :)

Looking very dry for us in the NW, so the 06z is not epic or anything like that up here for snow prospects. Thats reserved for the south and east where the posts are rather bias at times in the MOD.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if I was reading the 06z properly, I am finding a very biased Nrth/Sth attitude in MOD and it's confusing me