Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looking at the radar, the main bulk of precip already looks like it's hit a brick wall, it probably won't get much further east!

Yes it seems to start sliding south as soon as it reaches the north west coast.

It apears that the blocking to the east is having an effect so it's looking like game over for now although TBH looking at the forecasts it was never really game on for our part of the region.

Anyway i'd sooner have a dry day than one where promised snow actually falls as rain and washes our cover away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Here, here! I have a feeling something may happen but not holding out! Will be doing the sane radar watching!

Thee is something developing and moving down towards us, if it makes it here though before it fizzles out is debateable.

It apears that the blocking to the east is having an effect so it's looking like game over for now although TBH looking at the forecasts it was never really game on for our part of the region.

Anyway i'd sooner have a dry day than one where promised snow actually falls as rain and washes our cover away.

It is moving east a touch but mainly south, there is something further north and east of the main band which looks to be heading our way.

Posted

Radar looking not to bad, seems to be intensifying. Temp risen to 2c here so most likely rain unless the PPN is heavy. Dew point just under 1c.

post-9615-0-73023200-1327826222_thumb.pn

Its almost over us down in the south of the region..bone dry, we'll see if it brings frontal snow.

Thee is something developing and moving down towards us, if it makes it here though before it fizzles out is debateable.

It is moving east a touch but mainly south, there is something further north and east of the main band which looks to be heading our way.

this has been there since yesterday 5am...if anything its prepping up quite substantially in the irish sea.

Posted

I agree that it was game over before it started for your area particulary since your too far inland..and it was never going to make in roads

Its going to hug the coast, and thats where the meto themselves have said its going to be and to be fair to them, we had our snow warnings late thursday night..infact they give us a good chance of seeing snow, even significant snow in any heavy bursts, so we shall see

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hmmmm.... The radar lies, the ppn has stopped yet its showing light to moderate ppn falling. It's not reaching the ground.

Temp up to 2.5c.

post-9615-0-91355800-1327830043_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Hi hotcuppa, what do you think are chances are :D

Posted

after a sunny start conplete cloud cover now,this will be the cloud ahead of the front from the west

going to be a cold gloomy day.maybe a few spots of rain from the cloud from to titime to time

C.S

I think you may well see snow, since its likely to be the furthest east its going to penetrate..fingers crossed for you

Hmmmm.... The radar lies, the ppn has stopped yet its showing light to moderate ppn falling. It's not reaching the ground.

Temp up to 2.5c.

post-9615-0-91355800-1327830043_thumb.pn

is it not just using gfs for precip?

Hi hotcuppa, what do you think are chances are :D

i think pretty good for merseyside, west cheshire..anything east from there..its dire

Irish sea is defintely doing its job for us right now, since there is a lot more precip than was first seen..its this band I think that will hit us..but much more in the nw

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

is it not just using gfs for precip?

This is the current picture, live ppn data, the Meto rainfall radar is also showing the same, nothing falling at ground level.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

oh goodie HC could do with a bit o snow lol

Posted
i think pretty good for merseyside, west cheshire..anything east from there..its dire

Irish sea is defintely doing its job for us right now, since there is a lot more precip than was first seen..its this band I think that will hit us..but much more in the nw

Is that for after noon or before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I can confirm that despite precipitation falling overhead of the radar, nothing is.

2.2C now and 94% humidity, so in effect no chance for snow currently.

Posted

Very strange, it was very light earlier but it's bone dry now.

Morning Stephen, I've seen this happen before with radars, is the ppn evaporating before it reaches the surface?

Similar reports in the Wales thread with no ppn falling. One or two do have rainfall.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes in effect, but its puzzling because it those situations, the precipitation should not be struggling to reach the surface, the humidity is 94%, so precipitation will make it to the ground. If the humidity was less than 80% it would be a good signal that that was happening.

My only suggestion is the radar might be out of sync a tiny bit.

Posted

I think it's knitting a snow blanket for you!

I'm just on my phone so everything out of sync but I do see rainfall breaking east away from the band that might pop over Liverpool?

Posted

I think it's knitting a snow blanket for you!

I'm just on my phone so everything out of sync but I do see rainfall breaking east away from the band that might pop over Liverpool?

Im not sure about liverpool, but greater meseyside is in a really good spot, considering local temperatures..its still frontal snow if it falls so we'll see

Posted

I doubt it will fall as snow in Merseyside.. reason being that the hills of Wales (the Flintshire hills) are seeing rain currently. So based on that alone there's no chance.

Posted

I doubt it will fall as snow in Merseyside.. reason being that the hills of Wales (the Flintshire hills) are seeing rain currently. So based on that alone there's no chance.

To be fair temps and dp's are perfect if you are away from the coast. Flintshire has its own microclimate doesn't it? lol

The warning was that rain will turn to sleet / snow for this morning / afternoon / overnight and tomorrow. Still plenty of time. My initial understanding was for rain at first then followed by snow later. but we are talking about frontal snow here, which seem to have different rules

applied to it

Yellow Alert : Snow warning from 00z Sunday through Monday 12z

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Temp reached 3.0c here, cloud base lifting with good visibility. Totally the opposite to what the radar is telling us.

Posted

To be fair temps and dp's are perfect if you are away from the coast. Flintshire has its own microclimate doesn't it? lol

The warning was that rain will turn to sleet / snow for this morning / afternoon / overnight and tomorrow. Still plenty of time. My initial understanding was for rain at first then followed by snow later. but we are talking about frontal snow here, which seem to have different rules applied to it

It has a great cold microclimate! Not a warm one. Trust me, I'm well versed on when to expect snow based on the Flintshires! I'm certain we wont get it.

Posted

The warning was that rain will turn to sleet / snow for this morning / afternoon / overnight and tomorrow. Still plenty of time. My initial understanding was for rain at first then followed by snow later. but we are talking about frontal snow here, which seem to have different rules

applied to it

Yellow Alert : Snow warning from 00z Sunday through Monday 12z

and the uppers are due to get much colder from 1500 too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I see the GFS 06Z PPN charts have gone of on one snow for all NW England this afternoon and evening :doh:

C.S

Posted

It has a great cold microclimate! Not a warm one. Trust me, I'm well versed on when to expect snow based on the Flintshires! I'm certain we wont get it.

according to the warning, direct coastal areas where never meant to see anything other than rain..but places away from the immediate coast, such as greater merseyside / cheshire are / where in the firing line.

However if the precip is non existent, its not going to matter anyway...but i would not be surprised to see rain / snow event even for those places..later today / tonight

I see the GFS 06Z PPN charts have gone of on one snow for all NW England this afternoon and evening :doh:

C.S

much cold upper air :)

we are seeing a huge amount of convection over the irish sea..watch the rader..its just popping up and building continously

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Unfortunately from an IMBY point of view i have to agree with those who say that west is best with the extent of pecipitation from this front.

I think that the common boundary for North West weather patterns, the M6 will again play its part and i can't see much if anything falling to the east of that line. Even the large area showing on the radar to the noth of our region is backing towards the SW and out to sea again.

As i said earlier, the blocking to the east is just to strong but if that helps me hold onto the snow we've already got i'm not really that bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

according to the warning, direct coastal areas where never meant to see anything other than rain..but places away from the immediate coast, such as greater merseyside / cheshire are / where in the firing line.

However if the precip is non existent, its not going to matter anyway...but i would not be surprised to see rain / snow event even for those places..later today / tonight

much cold upper air :)

we are seeing a huge amount of convection over the irish sea..watch the rader..its just popping up and building continously

hi HC

not like you to be so confident LOL

C.S