Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 1

Squall moved over here this morning at 10.30am very heavy hail lasted about 15 minutes after that the wind dropped and its actually becoming sunny.

I see the Met Office have a warning out for today and tomorrow for snow and icy roads. It does like Central and Eastern Scotland would see the best of any wintry stuff. There forecasts seem to suggest mainly sleet showers and snow in the Highlands. But if it gets cold enough in these parts later on snow could be likely.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just about dry here at the moment but still threatening. Temp up a notch to 1.2c. Side roads and pavements treacherous in places with a thin layer of slush on top of ice as the wet stuff hit the frozen surfaces earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Lots of snow here been falling all morning, its fine like sand.

Aye, easing off now here as the first band moves away. Still light snow.

Decided to sod tesco, pick up some brews from the local co-op and play in the snow instead.

Will take me camera with me on the way to Earlston.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Teaming down with rain here, as expected!

Posted

The clouds look very thin here except to towards the Campsies where the clouds are dark and it seems that it's snowing to quite low levels there. We need heavier stuff just to see the odd flake. As per usuall this winter - the met office warnings have been useless. NI got a yellow warning for snow with temps of 8c - says it all really.

Posted

Lovely snowy drive from Dundee to Glenshee this morning at 8 am. Just one crazy female van driver stuck. Not only no winter tyres but no tread at all. Left her safe and warm awaiting the cops. Snows been on and off all morning here. Heavy at times with a bracing wind. Looks like we'll be back in Dundee for the next wave! Temp hovering around 0 in the car park.

Posted

It's starting to dull down again over the Pentlands, I'm still just outside Penicuik and the snow has stopped for the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think the main cold front hasn't quite reached central Scotland. Temperature well up here too though, still snow cover oevr about 150m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Heavy rain here at the moment but I am sure I am starting to see one or two sleety bits mixed in. We will see if it turns shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sleet mix increasing. 2.9c/-1.7c. Front on the radar appears to be beefing up?

Posted

Just took a walk around to David Sands in Markinch, the footpaths are lethal, a layer of slush, I'm on my way into work early tonight, I was hoping to be running up to work in a snow shower, I'm not so confident now. Drizzle at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I think the main cold front hasn't quite reached central Scotland. Temperature well up here too though, still snow cover oevr about 150m.

LS, do you have any guesstimates for the timing? It is certainly already rubbish weather for most rugby teams from the south... :D

Posted

Very heavy rain. Looked at the car windscreen and there was no wintryness at all, just large, heavy blobs of water. Not looking good for snow at all today and I think itt's not looking all that great for the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

ok, went oot tae stock up on the essentials ahead of this evening (beer).

Set the GPS (Global Position ae Snaw) and although it's only 4 miles tae Lauder, the route came up as 15 miles for some reason. Given that the main roads would be very dangerous what with all those folk sliding about, I figured the GPS was right and I should take the back routes over the moor.

Some pics...

post-9421-0-34992100-1328364819_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-81243000-1328364830_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-24739300-1328364841_thumb.jp

post-9421-0-75692800-1328364850_thumb.jp