Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Chilly morning with temperature ending up below -9c :cold:

Last day to save our snow chances for saturday will it or won't it. ;)

I'm saddened to say that nope don't think it will our turn. Always the bridesmaid never the bride here!

Keeping everything crossed for something (anything!) in the week!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

This winter is in danger of becoming known as the Argghhh winter, not cold for the first two months, then when it does turn colder we just missed out on a -10C last night , -9.9C arghh so close, then the snow is forecast to be fractionally East of here, argghh again!

Going to be a tense 24/48 hrs for sure.

Posted

GEM model hasn't performed bad conpared to some. Let's hope it's onto something here...

post-5114-0-87859700-1328259949_thumb.gi

This weekend and chances of a general SW snow event are not over yet. If that piece of energy traversing N-S down through us could transfer a bit more west on more of a SSW tradjectory it will bring more into the fray. At this stage I would say it's far from impossible.

Bare in mind genuine UK-wide snow events are akin to rocking horse doings. February shaping up to be a classic I think...

Posted

Iannn u buettt cant copy and paste because on mob.. Someone else can... Looking good for wiltsss and .. Devizes in the disruptive snow!

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Yep, a line say from Salisbury, Frome, Bath, Thornbury north and eastwards looks good for a all snow event

Posted

Ooooh, 1cm - 2cm of snow Bristol area! Can't moan, better than nothing I suppose

Posted

dont worry... Il put some snowy pics up tomorrow :-) going to order new pc later for delivery tommorow.. So best bloody come, best not use snow as a exscuse for not deliverying lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Ooooh, 1cm - 2cm of snow Bristol area! Can't moan, better than nothing I suppose

I think being in somerset Im less favourable than bristol in this one however I hope my elevation saves my ass this time round. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

.........still very much all to play for; imo it is quite likely that if the front does stall and drop south as progged then it will feel the weight of all that frigid air east and retro towards western france/spain leaving the east of our region for sure ina very nice place for continous snow. perfectly logical but note the if we really will not know alomost until it happens.

:good:

Who said that? May well be right but I would class that as a non event. I have a feeling this will get more interesting as the system moves in. Expect the unexpected. This system will start to go further west within 12 hours of it arriving. Just a hunch though :good:

Posted

Well 6z NAE not looking too great for anywhere Bristol southwards. Maybe an hour of two of snow turning to rain to wash it all away. Knowing how these scenarios play out, though, like Bristolbaggie says, expect the unexpected. Could all work out better in the end as the front hits the block.

Well 6z NAE not looking too great for anywhere Bristol southwards. Maybe an hour of two of snow turning to rain to wash it all away. Knowing how these scenarios play out, though, like Bristolbaggie says, expect the unexpected. Could all work out better in the end as the front hits the block.

The 6z NAE seems to indicate quite a big shift east. If this trend continous then everywhere from London westwards would end up disappointed. Still plenty of time for change :cray:

Edited by BristolBaggie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

-9.6c last night and I'm sure there was a white blob on the local weather over here for Saturday... We shall see. Would be a shame to waste all that hideous cold weather.

Stil not used to it, two months in south east Asia and Oz has done nothing for my cold tolerance levels lol

Posted

06z NAE throws my 1cm - 2cm out the window! Oh well, I feel plenty more opportunities will arise this month!

Posted

06z NAE throws my 1cm - 2cm out the window! Oh well, I feel plenty more opportunities will arise this month!

We still got 30 hours for a change... :good:

Warming up nicely outside this morning. -5.1c

I just seen a comment from S.mur and he suggests the 06z is worthy of the bin because of poor data ect.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

NAE is not an improvement, but I am sure it rises temps far to quickly.

GFS temps are similar to previous run.

Knife-edge stuff that must see the models improve again to yield what I predict.

If we see another "downgrade" (reduction of Bristols chances) at 12z then I will be very concerned, however, for the moment I stand firm!

Posted

We still got 30 hours for a change... :good:

Warming up nicely outside this morning. -5.1c

I just seen a comment from S.mur and he suggests the 06z is worthy of the bin because of poor data ect.

He's right in that amplification is often played down by the 06z.

The 12z will be the important run for us, it trended west yesterday before subsequent models have trended back east.

Those in the NE and high ground of our region are on the cusp of a fairly decent snowfall IMO through Sat night.

Still plenty of time for changes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Ok. I think I'm feeling negative now. It's not looking good....

Posted

Ok. I think I'm feeling negative now. It's not looking good....

Yep. Think we'll just see some transient light snow, thawing before midnight. Need to be further east (say swindon east) to catch the real stuff. still, there's always next week

Posted

Seems like its all over bar the shouting.... another event breaks down before our eyes... still there's always the next global ice age, then we might have a change or a huge fresh water ice melt that halts the gulf stream...mmmmmm saw some pigs flying by... feeling glum, does it show... :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well if rain is the main feature of the weekend - I think ice would be a major problem. Just look at the temperatures that have been had overnight, better than those in the east! If it weren't for the sodding uppers warming ahead of the warm front (contradicting the idea of a warm front), the West Country would be quids in with this event, even better off than the east.

On the bright side, if it goes pear-shaped, there does look like another possibility with more favourable wind directions on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Roll on spring, there that should tell you what I think about the current situation lol

Posted

Roll on spring, there that should tell you what I think about the current situation lol

GP comments in the model output thread about a N/NE pattern coming up, then a full on E. So...if we get that for a week.......then we can have our snow to rain again, and again! LOL

I said on here a few days ago, and will say it again..........I HATE ATLANTIC BREAKDOWNS....SNOW TO RAIN......HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

Posted

Lets hold off on the razor blades until the 12Z is in eh

Not quite finished yet. :good: