Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Personally, i am sticking to my original thoughts. I will makes some simple charts a bit later to illistrate what i believe will happen. God im sad...all in the name of fun though!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Tomorrow is a wet event sadly for most. Really we should be looking ahead to next weekend. Some of the charts are a little bit hard to belive but if this came off. There would be nothing marginal about it.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/5405/gfs-2012020312-1-180_kzh1.png

Mind you its too far ahead to get excited.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Well well.

So based on the models and that fact that itd starting to cloud over now..

The milder air is close by. Its 0c now and theres no chance of a clear frosty night here..

I can only now assume that temps will be on the up slowly ready for the rain in like 18 hours.

Gonna go find my brolly.

Posted

Still too much negativity. As I alluded to earlier I've seen these things can alter well within T+6. And bearing in mind for a lot (albeit far from everyone) in this region it's already on a knife edge, so it won't take much of a shift for it to be predominately snow.

Some here may recall the Dorset snowdome-gate incident of January of 2010 in which Dorset folk went from seeing the NAE predicting 25cm+ of snow at the 6 hour timeframe to us getting a big fat zero as the mesoscale feature centered 50 miles off from its predicted location and wrapped the PPN around it, leaving us high and dry! Now, it's slightly less complicated this time with a warm from sweeping in from the west against a cold block but the uncertainty and room for error still remains at this timeframe. Baring in mind the jet will be driving a small shard of energy down through us at the same time, that COULD throw a curveball in. Best place to be in our region I suspect will be holidaying in Center Parcs.

And if it doesn't happen for you tomorrow, the blocking signal is getting stronger and stronger. I'd be amazed if everyone here didn't experience some snow before winter end...

Posted

well meto still have me for snow! so sod what the models say... its bloody freezing! and we all know what there like at predicting snow! so good luck wont be on till tommorow now. of to get drunk... then back on my mob 2mor so if it snows duno how to upload piks of my mob, so if i take piks someone pm me there email address so could send them to them for them to upload.... cant get credit for a new pc ( of to beg to me nan who has good cred in the pub tonight haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

-2 with -7 dp here at the moment. The mild frost on the lawn hasn't thawed all day. Another freezing night to come I think.

Keeping everything crossed on fl models at the moment. If no snow then roll on summer and a heat wave! Lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Nothing mild about weather at moment! -5.0c after a max temp of -2.3c :cold: gonna be another very cold night.

Why is everyone so negative from what I can make out we should at least see a couple of hours snow if not more before it turns to rain and still can change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

yey heavy snow for cheltenham, lets see what happens. :-)

We can hope so. Sunday morning on Cleeve Hill beckons !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Clear and cold, down to -4.7C already so if the cloud can hold off overnight until 7am to get the best heat loss and then the cloud come in to reduce solar heating of surfaces....

Reality is Im expecting a short spell of snow before it gets washed away, meanwhile a few miles down the road in Oxfordshire they will be plastered in the stuff!

Posted

Clear and cold, down to -4.7C already so if the cloud can hold off overnight until 7am to get the best heat loss and then the cloud come in to reduce solar heating of surfaces....

Reality is Im expecting a short spell of snow before it gets washed away, meanwhile a few miles down the road in Oxfordshire they will be plastered in the stuff!

But will it get washed away with such low temperatures or turn into sheet ice?? Ive seen that a couple years running when we get brief warm ups after severe cold.

Posted

But will it get washed away with such low temperatures or turn into sheet ice?? Ive seen that a couple years running when we get brief warm ups after severe cold.

That of course is a real danger, and it could be that there is no snow at all but straight to freezing rain especially given my low elevation.

Posted

That of course is a real danger, and it could be that there is no snow at all but straight to freezing rain especially given my low elevation.

This is what happened on christmas day 3 years ago when we had temperature of 6/7c and this lot hung on for days!

post-8911-0-12987500-1328291949_thumb.jp

Was quite fun though if only I had had some ice skates lol

Posted

This is what happened on christmas day 3 years ago when we had temperature of 6/7c and this lot hung on for days!

Wow! I can remember an event back in 1996 I think, when we had a band of freezing rain and left a about 1/4 inch thick coating of ice on everything. Nightmare to walk on, buses skidding about and nobody going much faster than 10-15 mph

edit: 1/2 inch thick bit OTT!

Edited by windswept

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

post-8911-0-12987500-1328291949_thumb.jp

We had this a couple of years ago. It was a nightmare! 4 elderly neighbours broke arms/legs or hips. We had to close carpark at work due to te sheet ice being invisible to drivers! Great fun to slide on though lol

Posted

LOL I absolutely love the way that every weekend someone says, "Next weekend is the one." I love optimism, my glass is also always half full, but it generally is. ;)

I have had 2 glasses of red already whilst getting ready to go out so slightly tipsy but trust me, we are all going to get snow. I have decided, therefore it is true.

Righto time to go and put on a layer of slap before I am too tipsy to see. Do you think anyone will notice that I am wearing thermals under my gorgeous sexy dress? :D

Oh dear -3.3 here with a dewpoint of -10, this is not conducive to high heels, maybe I need to stick on my jeans and Uggs.

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

According to the METO postcode/altitude specific forecast it should be -2 here, it's currently -6. They've been drastically off with the forecast temps all week too, last night should have been -5, it got down to -9.5. It may be a straw but I'm clinging to it and hoping it will be snow here, instead of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Tis a bit doom and gloom on here isn't it, well all you who live in land i.e. Somerset, Gloucester,wiltshire ect have nothing to worry about particularly if those dewpoints stay low, with all that moisture meeting the dry continental air, bang perfect conditions for snow and lots of it!!

Posted

LOL I absolutely love the way that every weekend someone says, "Next weekend is the one." I love optimism, my glass is also always half full, but it generally is. ;)

I have had 2 glasses of red already whilst getting ready to go out so slightly tipsy but trust me, we are all going to get snow. I have decided, therefore it is true.

Righto time to go and put on a layer of slap before I am too tipsy to see. Do you think anyone will notice that I am wearing thermals under my gorgeous sexy dress? :D

Haha I like it! I bet you pop back on later after a few too many....

Ive got serious snow deprivation now this winter and I would be happy to just see a couple of cm transient snow saturday evening now! how times change ;)

Sure you will look stunning with those thermals! :give_rose::good:

Posted

According to the METO postcode/altitude specific forecast it should be -2 here, it's currently -6. They've been drastically off with the forecast temps all week too, last night should have been -5, it got down to -9.5. It may be a straw but I'm clinging to it and hoping it will be snow here, instead of rain.

I have an app on my iphone for met office which says -5c here which isnt far out and it also says heavy snow until mid night saturday so lets hope that bit is correct :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I have an app on my iphone for met office which says -5c here which isnt far out and it also says heavy snow until mid night saturday so lets hope that bit is correct :good:

Their BETA forecast for here says min overnight -3. It also says light snow from lunchtime tomorrow, turning to sleet then moderate rain from midnight.

Posted

I'm clutching your straw too!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Currently -3.7 °C

DP -8.2 °C

Forecast: Settled fine ( AHAHHAH ) Really?

Pressure +0.1 mb/hr