Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

If it gets too bad you'll have to go and find Mullenders house and have a bottle of Katy!

I don't believe that... Was it last winter or the winter before when you were talking about how you could make snow in your bathroom?... :rofl:

Go on, admit it... You love it! :p

I used to love it but then we had last Christmas, that horrid icy snow that lasted for over a week, you couldn't walk out in it, build a snowman or play in it. So what's the point of it? I also had flu whilst it was going on, I was weak, pathetic and out of lemsip, my only option was too risk broken bones and slide my way to the shop for more supplies, a 2 minute walk took me half an hour. OAP's took pity on me. :D

Yes to snow that is light and fluffy and clears off when it gets boring, NO to snow that turns to ice and outstays it's welcome.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, wind. Hot summer days.

lol it'll be ok, we wont be short of warming booze! :good:

Currently -4.2 here! Gonna be a cold one tonight!

Posted

Although NAE gives us hope, why oh why are we always in the most marginal situations!!!! I'm going down to Devon near Brixham this weekend. You can bet your west country ass that Bristol and environs down into Somerset and up into Gloucester will get a pasting while I'm feeding the animals in the rain at Paignton zoo.

Posted

I used to love it but then we had last Christmas, that horrid icy snow that lasted for over a week, you couldn't walk out in it, build a snowman or play in it. So what's the point of it? I also had flu whilst it was going on, I was weak, pathetic and out of lemsip, my only option was too risk broken bones and slide my way to the shop for more supplies, a 2 minute walk took me half an hour. OAP's took pity on me. :D

Yes to snow that is light and fluffy and clears off when it gets boring, NO to snow that turns to ice and outstays it's welcome.

Well, I trust that if we do get some this weekend that you are currently fit and well and will be able to enjoy it!... That's if it sticks around for more than six hours (if at all!)... I just hope we don't end up with icy rain. :nonono:

lol it'll be ok, we wont be short of warming booze! :good:

Currently -4.2 here! Gonna be a cold one tonight!

Jolly good!... Wish I had a working weather station... I've no idea how cold it is here tonight...

Posted

Is there any hope at all for a snow event in the far South West, or should I just give up and wait for next year. It's so frustrating seeing all the action about to happen in the East of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Just back from an Eve out and I see the rollercoaster is still going..... Mullender has made me lol with his Prozac vs colours post! My headache has intensified massively from reading the last 5 pages of YES ITS GOING TO SNOW! Vs NO, IT'S GOING TO RAIN!

On my way home, the car temp dipped to -6! eek! And on that note I'm off to bed, to wake up in time for a mahoosive upgrade! Night all!

Posted

Is there any hope at all for a snow event in the far South West, or should I just give up and wait for next year. It's so frustrating seeing all the action about to happen in the East of the region.

Unfortunately, I'd it looks unlikely for Cornwall (at the moment)... Who knows though... If things kept shifting West...??

The experienced guys in the MOD thread say to keep an eye on the NAE model, as that will be more accurate than looking at the GFS, ECM etc.

Looked good for Bristol and even areas further West than that on tonights run...

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/02/02/basis18/ukuk/prty/12020418_0218.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, wind. Hot summer days.

Jolly good!... Wish I had a working weather station... I've no idea how cold it is here tonight...

I'm sure you will be able to find a local online weather station.

Posted

Barring a bit of White on Brown Willy's tip, there is no chance in Cornwall from this set up.

For people that don't know the highest point of Cornwall, that just may sound a little odd...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Good night all Im calling it a night.

What a rollercoaster.... :gathering:

-6.2c and my ground temperature is -9c :shok:

Posted

Hey kernowman, I wouldn't give up yet. The way Feb seems to be shaping up I think we'll see something special even down your way at some stage.

Posted

I'm sure you will be able to find a local online weather station.

Oh yeah... I'd forgotten about Wunderground!... Just had a look and it's currently -4.0ºc just down the road from me!

On that note, I think I better head off to bed... Could be a few late "radar" and "lamp-post watching" nights ahead!

Goodnight everyone. Good luck for the weekend!

Posted

oh fiddle sticks humph the only time i dont want snow we may get it lol...

i have just passed my ham radio ticket and was looking for going for my first DX session on saturday...

do you think the westbury white horse area will get a dumping....

regards

andy M6PNP

Posted

Hey schmac, here's Martyn Hicks' weather station in Filton. It's got all the data you'll need to watch for our area (although out here in Winterbourne I like to knock off a degree from the current temps in colder weather as he's obviously a bit more city based and a touch lower asl from me. - Plus it gives me more hope in marginal situations LOL)

http://www.martynhic...a.php?page=live

Martyn posts on here sometimes.

Edited by kumquat

Posted

oh fiddle sticks humph the only time i dont want snow we may get it lol...

i have just passed my ham radio ticket and was looking for going for my first DX session on saturday...

do you think the westbury white horse area will get a dumping....

regards

andy M6PNP

Yes, good chance from Sat afternoon for at least 6 hours

Also, what is amazing is that the temps around the east of our region actually being to drop from 15:00 to 18:00, rather than rise, according to NAE...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Temps dropping like a stone here. 45 minutes ago it was -2.7c...its now -4.1c and still dropping. Going to be a nippy night :p

Posted

6 hours.. I read that right... for westbury area Thats lovely :-D

bbc forcast looks ok for gloucs wilts as we hang onto snow

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

whats that on the radar comeing in from the east coast heading sw ...looks like it could reach glos ?? could that have snow embedded init ?

Looks likely to die out way before Gloucestershire unless it intensifies and builds over night. Good straw clutch, though hehe