Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 2

Posted

Little update from Essex Weather Centre:

Predicted snow totals (CM) from latest Met Office run: Stansted 12, Colchester: 12, Chelmsford 11, Basildon, 10 and Southend 8.

Also note heaviest totals are apparantly modelled for Norfolk and Suffolk - they say it can't be ruled out this backing a little further south with next few model runs

SK

Wish I knew Suffolk totals and that for Ipswich, I'm going to guess similar to Colchester as that's the closest lol!

Posted

All im going to say tonight is this from the latest NAE.

post-1766-0-41107500-1328308472_thumb.gi

Im looking forward to spending my time in this thread tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

I'll be on night shift in rural Norfolk on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. Getting home to Lowestoft could be fun if the NAE is anything to go by!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

All im going to say tonight is this from the latest NAE.

post-1766-0-41107500-1328308472_thumb.gi

Im looking forward to spending my time in this thread tomorrow.

Hi TEITS, if you don't mind could you explain how we are going to get inches of snow tomorrow night from sleet and ice rain, because that is the NW forecast for our region, and as time progresses the ppn is gradually turning to rain in the projections.

If this verifies there will be a lot of disappointed people here, and a very red faced BBC!!

I want snow as much as everyone here, I will hope and believe it happens

Edited by Mark Burton

Posted

A quick snowfall total maps based on the NAE

post-8968-0-80630900-1328311237_thumb.pn

BROWN- Heavy snowfall, may be wet in nature with sleet at the coasts, 15-17mm projected. Large snowfall variations, around 5-20cm of snow. Highest accumulations further west around 150/200m+, coastal regions around 5cm at best. Perhaps turning to rain up to 10 miles from the coast.

ORANGE- Heaviest accumulation expected here, 15/18mm projected. Zero marginality further south and east, perhaps slight wet snow on low ground in western parts of Yorkshire for a time. Accumulation widespread 13-21cm expected.

GREEN- Heavy snowfall, margin for error for western extent of snow. As a result the further west the more likely to see wet snow. 11/14mm projected. 5-15cm of snow, highest accumulation in the east of the region

PINK- Moderate to heavy snowfall, 10/13mm projected. Zero marginality. Widespread 11-16cm expected. Less accumulations in the far south east, due to weakening of the precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Went outside about 20 minutes ago to get some firewood in and it was cold, clear with a little bit of cloud rolling in. Noticed that the temperature has suddenly shot up by just over a degree, look outside....at last! The snow has arrived! A nice sugar coating on everything.....really fine powdery stuff. Fingers crossed for everyone this weekend!

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I just stole this post from gottolovethisweather in the Central Southern thread....

Three important things to remember before the event begins, tomorrow.

Check the latest Fax Chart for position of frontal boundaries etc.

Check the speed of the incoming precipitation as it approaches your region.

Check the intensity of the precipitation as it approaches your region.

As the event starts to unfold, remind yourself of the following.

• Firstly, any snow I get is a bonus, given the ridiculously mild winter so far.
  • Secondly, look for falling temperatures ahead of the heavier bursts of precipitation.
  • Thirdly, look for falling dewpoints ahead of the heaviest bursts of precipitation.
  • Fourthly (?), look for physical evidence of snowflakes in the light of the lamp-posts/
  • Fifthly (?), please update fellow members in THIS thread.
  • Sixthly (?), enjoy, eat and drink and post responsibly, no lying or exaggerations please............
  • Seventhly (?), if by Sunday, you can't get out of your front door, you've done well and you're in seventh heaven.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Things are certainly looking good for tomorrow evening, I'm expecting 10-15cm to fall here in Norwich! The models, may I say, have coped with the front remarkably well and have been relatively consistent in the last couple of days. Oh the irony compared with the past few weeks lol...

Interesting night ahead!

Edited by chris93

Posted

Hi TEITS, if you don't mind could you explain how we are going to get inches of snow tomorrow night from sleet and ice rain, because that is the NW forecast for our region, and as time progresses the ppn is gradually turning to rain in the projections.

If this verifies there will be a lot of disappointed people here, and a very red faced BBC!!

I want snow as much as everyone here, I will hope and believe it happens

Very simple answer is because at this range the most reliable forecasts will be the NAE and the Met O because they use models which run at a higher resolution. Let me put it this way I have more faith in these than a computer generated forecast based on the GFS.

If tomorrows output remains unchanged then tomorrow evening looks very exciting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Thankyou TEITS...To have him in the thread is god send, It can only mean game on....Let the fun begin.

Posted

At the rate the light snow is coming down, it might settle if it snowed like this non-stop for the next 10 years. It's abysmally light, just small insignificant flakes coming down gently and evaporating.

Edited by etched Chaos

Posted

Morning all.

Very bitter outside. Currently -8C, so it's the coldest temperature so far this winter. It's quite annoying though, with the first decent snow event of the winter, I won't be able to follow the build up to it as I won't be at home! Hopefully by the time I arrive home later, the first few flakes of snow will be falling..

0z NAE:

6pm: http://expert-images...020418_0400.gif

Midnight: http://expert-images...020500_0400.gif

6am tomorrow: http://expert-images...020500_0400.gif

Precipitation accumilation by midday tomorrow: http://expert-images...020512_0400.gif

It's going to be a very long day (and night!!). See you all this evening! :)

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Very very cold here this morning -

Temperature -8.5 °C

Windchill -8 °C

Dew Point -11 °C

- still two dogs want a walk and then I think I will be needing a hot bath to thaw out :cold:

Posted

with regards to how cold it was yesterday I forgot to say that my boyfriend told me yesterday he had seen a frozen water pipe with icicles in an alleyway along from Barclays Bank.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

morning all. can't believe i'm up at 8am on a saturday.lol. Hopefully this evening/overnight is going to be fantastic for us all.

Posted

Very happy to see TEITS here, have been lurking all winter, waiting for the big snow event. Have a very excited 4 year old with his sled at the ready (needless to say I'm excited too).

We're in south Chiltern hills and went down to -8.7 last night. Currently -5.7 brrr, though nice solid ground for snow to stick to!

(null)