Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Three Counties Regional Discussion - Part 2

Posted

I think I will cry if we only get 2cm after all of this roller coaster ride esp with being in the east lol.

Fingers dependencies everyone later on. I want a snow day monday please!

Posted

are you joking? because i'm not that far away from you, and it would seem to be the same for my area then. i think 20cm would be more depth of snow than i have ever seen.i'm getting very childishly excited.

no not joking.. think this area is in for a serious snowfall, this front wont move away , it will just peter out over us, then watch the eastery set up again next week will see more snow for us..

fine snow now falling again here..

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

no not joking.. think this area is in for a serious snowfall, this front wont move away , it will just peter out over us, then watch the eastery set up again next week will see more snow for us..

fine snow now falling again here..

I also have the impression that the 15cm will be breached fairly widely. I'm betting on 20+ for East Herts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Waiting to the last minute before diverting all power to the St Ives snow shield, biggest test since last Dec 2010

Quite right Huntso! I've seen about 3 inches max here - last year barely a covering. I've only just recovered from the massive snowstorm of 18th Dec 10 which stalled at the A14, 2 miles down the road!! :wallbash: Sandy, which is only 20 miles South of us had nearly 12 inches of snow. But tonight is different, not a classic snow set up for the UK, which is why I think we might just crack it tonight here. In the classic set up, we usually miss out big time!

I'm playing for a function at the Dolphin Hotel tonight - I'm hoping the snow will hit after 7, otherwise we might not get an audience. As I speak the ppn is making good progress this way, and the warm sector is getting sqeezed out.

Posted

Hope it's out turn Mark, must be one day and I remember that last one not making it here too

Last good show was the thunder snow that shut the A14, was on a first aid course at the Moat House, Bar Hill and just left for home in time

Hope you have a snowfilled journey back from the Dolphin tonight

If it does come I am going for a stroll over the lakes in the morning, interested to see how the Busway gets on with snow and might get some nice photos over there

Edited by huntso

Posted

I also have the impression that the 15cm will be breached fairly widely. I'm betting on 20+ for East Herts

hi tim, i think we are now entering a period of substained cold and very snowy weather, next week will see more unstable Eastery winds giving further heavy falls to our region, then the high will move to Greenland allowing lows to run along the channel, once we enter this pattern it will take a lot of shifting..

Posted

Hope it's out turn Mark, must be one day and I remember that last one not making it here too

Last good show was the thunder snow that shut the A14, was on a first aid course at the Moat House, Bar Hill and just left for home in time

Hope you have a snowfilled journey back from the Dolphin tonight

If it does come I am going for a stroll over the lakes in the morning, interested to see how the Busway gets on with snow and might get some nice photos over there

Yes, that will be very interesting for the Busway. If the weather is too bad tonight I will walk home from the Dolphin - I won't risk smashing up my car and my equipment.

Posted
If the weather is too bad tonight I will walk home from the Dolphin - I won't risk smashing up my car and my equipment.

Best bet I reckon, car should be safe from flooding in the Dolphin Car park

Yes, that will be very interesting for the Busway

Our local ex bristolian bus driver will probably give us a report, saw him on here the other day

Edited by huntso

Posted

what ever happens later, and how good it looks from the window, please all keep safe, this situation is very dangerous when you are driving, and it becomes very easy to end up getting stuck in your car..

Posted

Best bet I reckon, car should be safe from flooding in the Dolphin Car park

Our local ex bristolian bus driver will probably give us a report, saw him on here the other day

I was wondering where he was, not seen him here at all, he only lives around the corner from me, which part of St Ives are you in?

Posted

didnt know if anyone was interested in this approching front ,this is a webcam from Croyde bay ,love the sea like that !

http://www.eyeballhq...rfcheck/croyde/

Great link - just been watching the surfers in the sea at Woolacombe Bay - know it very well, I lived there for 4 years! Not nice today though!! - it's raining.

Posted

A little update from St Ives - Temp 0.5C and stable (would expect it to start falling soon) Dewpoint -5.52 (very nice)

The front is making steady progress toward us, although I think it might be slowing slightly. The warm sector continues to fill in.

I'm over in Needingworth Road opposite the Catholic Church, whereabouts are you?

Im up in Waveney Road.

Temp now 0.4C already dropping back! I recon snow will be with us by about 5

Edited by Mark Burton

Posted

Fingers crossed, my monitor showing 0.9c, but the sensor is a bit sheltered in its present home

Was thinking about six'ish for arrival, but anytime after dusk would be good, wonder how long it will last for?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Handy hint for anyone who has no option but to drive in the snow in a manual car - forget about using 1st gear to pull away from stop or climbing up a hill -

Try to use 2nd gear to pull away and try to use the gears to slow slown instead of using your brakes.. If you haven't got anti locking brakes try to step 'on' and 'off' them in gentle pulses to save you from going into a pretty pirouette taking out anything in your path !

bit boring for a weather forum but we've seen so many people losing control on the hill where we live - not nice.

...that's my first ever sensible comment posted on here over

Have fun out there :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms

Hi, temps here (essex, herts boarder) have risen to 1.6c. Should we be worried - if it keep's rising it could be sleet arriving not snow.

This morning temps were -7.5 thats a rise of 9.1c just in the last 8hrs.

I hope not we need some snow in our area this winter. Maybe someone can put my mind at rest. Still okay for snow?

Thanks,

MagicBat

Posted

Hmm, so, Norwich....too far east, too far west. Funny place for these snow events. Any fellow Norwich dwellers looking forward to something, anything?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Posted by Steve Murr in the London & South East Regional

Anyway just a quick post to cover off dewpoints-

These are funny but vitally important-

Did you know?-

Your snow depth isnt just related to the amount of PPN that falls- its also related to the density of the snow falling-

So for example you can have 10mm of rain- which on one occasion falls as snow and settles to 7cm & another instance where the same amount of PPN falls- say 10mm & you get 15cms of snow-

The UK usually gets POOR quality snow, usually modified airmasses from the North west or North east usually ensure that the proportion of water V air is high so the accumulation rate is at the low end- Maybe 1mm = 0.7 CM of snow or worse 0.5cm of snow ( we refer to that as a 1:5 ratio)

This wet snow is the reason for trees falling under the weight of wet snow-

usually in these circumstances surface temps are at zero or just above & the dewpoint is very close- so it may be 0.5c / 0.2C DP-

Occasionally we do get drier snow, if we get a TRUE arctic air mass- who remembers Jan 07 when that cold front came across the UK in the late afternoon- it was the 'thundersnow event'- this was a true arctic front & the air was less modified & the rates of accumulation got up to close on 1:10 which is excellent-

When the front arrived the surface dropped to 0c + 0c DP

Today I would class as the second best snowfall we can get only surpassed by frontal snow from the East wrapped in sub -15c air ( Note what was showing in the 06z today)

The dry air from the continent that undercuts the front today will be responsible for the best type of DRY snow possible, snow flakes will simply float to the ground as opposed to that fast heavy snow we get-

As its got a larger density of Air its lighter & we could see rates of 1:15 TODAY ( 10MM =15CM)

Ideally in the snow to get this you want something like -1c + -2c DP

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__2248387

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Hmm, so, Norwich....too far east, too far west. Funny place for these snow events. Any fellow Norwich dwellers looking forward to something, anything?

I see no reason why we shouldn't do alright. If I am wrong, I would like a full explanation from a more knowledgeable member as to why! The snow should fall at all levels in EA, but with varying accumulations depending on proximity to the coast.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Well temp at stansted (2 miles from here) peaked at a barmy 0c for all of 30 mins and now back down to -1c/-4c dews

Incidentally that dew point is a good couple of degrees below what was progged by the NAE so absolutely no concerns about snowfall should be raised inland for anyone worried :)

SK