Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Weather Discussion Part 5

J10

Posted

I remember 0n 30th March 2010 I think it was we had a cold spell of weather and we had a really heavy shower that quickly turned to heavy wet snow for about 2munites and then passed! So next month it is more than possible to get snow, but by then I will be looking more for thunderstorms than snow! However I have already had 2 days last month with thundery showers, so its a better start that the last few years, just hope that spring and summer provide many more!

Just a random question... during a thunderstorm do you risk keeping your computer equipment plugged in?

What about others?

Personally I disconnect all my valuables

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Unless it's a severe overhead one (hardly ever) leave them on, as I have my WS and webcam on 24/7.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just a random question... during a thunderstorm do you risk keeping your computer equipment plugged in?

What about others?

Personally I disconnect all my valuables

Depends, most the time i keep it all plugged in! If its more of a long storm and moderate then I might unplug most things from the mains but i will still use my laptop and internet! Only if its severe (which has never happened for me) will i unplug anything!

Have Tony and Andy swapped places for a while, that is meant light heartedly.

My thoughts are very similar recent days.

In summary, after the cold front pushes through, there is a period of NW winds which has a cold pool sufficient to produce wintry/snow showers from around 6pm probably until midday Sunday. Pressure will build from the SW and wintry/snow showers are possible to around midnight in southern areas, this perhaps continuing ovenight close to Northern coasts.

Coverings are possible particularly if a streamer sets up, but not more than a dusting away from the Meto warning area. It is also possible that it will stay dry away from the far NW especially from SE areas.

My guess for here. a few wintry probably snow showers, which may give a dusting at best. But not sustained to give anymore than that.

If we had a decent ridge toi Greenland given the temp profiles this could easily have been given heavy snow, but not to be,

anyone see the BBC Wales forecast? 6 degrees is not "Arctic air" Derek!

The winds do come from within the Arctic Circle so technically he is correct. The fact that they do not come from the Arctic circle for as long as we want them to is another matter.

Posted

Could be of interest the band of showers that reaches Wales around midnight Saturday worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Could be of interest the band of showers that reaches Wales around midnight worth keeping an eye on.

midnight tonight? im getting confused as to what to expect from this. Im afraid that if i blink long enough il miss it and it will be spring lol.

Posted

midnight tonight? im getting confused as to what to expect from this. Im afraid that if i blink long enough il miss it and it will be spring lol.

In terms of snow definitely not tonight

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by keithlucky, February 17, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by keithlucky, February 17, 2012 - No reason given

A welsh streamer yes please sitting on Wales.

Edited by keithlucky
Posted

As things stand the Wales Cymru Discussion thread will be closing for the winter on Sunday anyway. B)

In case of any doubt see my post no 540.

seems a little premature, surely - I know from the looks of the models spring is to arrive early - but officially winter doesn't finish until 1st March - at least another week and a half away

this grain of hope from the meto from 22nd of Feb to 2nd March

Temperatures mostly around or above normal, but there is a small probability of a colder spell with and an increased risk of snow.

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Appreciation of irony anyone?

Indeed.

After the next 24 hrs, I don't see any potential wintriness until the end of Feb at least, even more of a reason to try it in my book.

Currently quite heavy rain, as the cold front passes through.

Posted

Certainly not even a hint of sleet as the back end of the front passed through...I'm in mid Wlaes today...temp still 8.5c and the sun is making an appearence.

Posted

Certainly not even a hint of sleet as the back end of the front passed through...I'm in mid Wlaes today...temp still 8.5c and the sun is making an appearence.

looks like we'll have to depend on the showers then - front came through a little early - cold struggling to keep up I expect!

Posted

11mm rain this morning, max of 8.1c over an hour ago, a 2c drop since, rain cleared.

Lastest Ski blog and usual synoptic charts now out.

As for tonight, GFS and NAE have slightly lower pressure, and it stays below 1020mb until at least midnight. Both NAE and NMM show a bit more in the way of showers as well. However my assessment of last night is still valid.

Meto goes for scattered snow showers tonight and a time overnight as well and seems right to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

alot colder out there now than this morning, what an amazing thing weather is! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Only 1C colder than this morning, was 8C now 7C, much brighter however, only a few clouds around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Whats our chances then guys? im in desperate need of seeing some snow!! lol

Posted

Whats our chances then guys? im in desperate need of seeing some snow!! lol

So are the majority of us :p

We have all the info from the models, and my posts 579 and 592 show this.

As the colder air digs in today, the temperature difference between the sea and the increasingly colder air from the North West will create convection and showers. so as the day goes on more and more showers will develop. Of course the increasing pressure from the South West will curtail this showery potential, especially after midnight. IMO best chance of snow showers tonight.6pm till midnight.

http://seasonsinthevalley.blogspot.com/2010/12/snow-snow-snow.html <- A bit more about snow streamers, certaintly the 13c temp difference between sea and air is there, not to sure about 100km of open water though. that's why NNW are better than NW winds.

We are now onto radar watch, and looking reasonably promisng upwind of us over in Iteland.