Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Weather Discussion Part 5

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

We have all the info from the models, and my posts 579 and 592 show this.

As the colder air digs in today, the temperature difference between the sea and the increasingly colder air from the North West will create convection and showers. so as the day goes on more and more showers will develop. Of course the increasing pressure from the South West will curtail this showery potential, especially after midnight. IMO best chance of snow showers tonight.6pm till midnight.

http://seasonsinthevalley.blogspot.com/2010/12/snow-snow-snow.html <- A bit more about snow streamers, certaintly the 13c temp difference between sea and air is there, not to sure about 100km of open water though. that's why NNW are better than NW winds.

We are now onto radar watch, and looking reasonably promisng upwind of us over in Iteland.

Crossing my fingers then, i like that link about streamers and lake effect snow, i wish. Gota experience that one day very big snow totals from them!!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

nice to see this place more lively :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Would love to see some of the white stuff tonight, I'm a little pessimistic after this winter but at least its the set up where us in the west usually do best! C'mon snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Yes even a dusting or just some falling snow would be nice to see.

Posted

Fun to watch keeping an eye on a possible streamer that just leaving ireland.

Fun and games for me if that says there for a while to allow -6 air to come in :D

Posted

Temp has dropped to 3.8c here now, down from over 6c an hour ago. The last band of precip was still very definitely rain however, a fair way to go yet if we're to see anything wintry.

Crossing my fingers then, i like that link about streamers and lake effect snow, i wish. Gota experience that one day very big snow totals from them!!.

Previous past streamers have given over 4 inches of snow, but in much more promising scenarios. A dusting is the best IMO most of us can hope for.,

A few showers starting to show in the Irish Sea, are they coming this way, are they wintry? so many questions? :p

Posted

Greetings lovely Welsh Netweather members!

I've been on holiday here in Brecon since Monday for half term. I wish I could have been your lucky snow fairy this week as we had a bit at home and I was hoping to bring some with me!

We're leaving tomorrow so I was wondering about the chances of a pretty dusting over the Beacons tonight to wave us goodbye. What do you think?

Emma

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Just had a hail shower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Just had a very wintry shower, hail mostly but quite alot of snow in it aswell, temperature dropped 2c in the shower. Now 3.6c

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Felt cold in Machynlleth this afternoon, although it was around 6c, also one heavy rain shower at 1500.

Back home and nothing since, temp and DP dropping at least (5c/0.7c).

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Sleet here now,

That's a good sign, Borth is right next to the sea, so we could well have a dusting of snow overnight.

Posted

Nothing much over the Irish Sea, best hope is for the trough around midnight, if the rising pressure don't stifle the life out of it.

Posted

Nothing much over the Irish Sea, best hope is for the trough around midnight, if the rising pressure don't stifle the life out of it.

can someone explain what a trough is? Still trying to pick up some things been hearing that alot and wondering what it means.

Posted

Just had a very wintry shower, hail mostly but quite alot of snow in it aswell, temperature dropped 2c in the shower. Now 3.6c

That beefy shower is just arriving here... 5.5c, currently.

Still hoping for my first falling snowflake of 2012!

Posted

It's gone very black... The hill across the way has disappeared behind a veil of..... hail!

Posted

can someone explain what a trough is? Still trying to pick up some things been hearing that alot and wondering what it means.

Please see here:

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/32

Also excellent resource for learners!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

The trough's that you see drawn on the Met Office fax charts as solid black lines are associated with an increased area of cloud and precipitation for example 06z Fax Chart for Sunday Morning:

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax24s.gif

You can see a trough moving through on the NW flow just off the coast of N Ireland, so increased shower activity likely there.

However the main problem for shower activity as we go through the night into tomorrow will be the ridge of high pressure building in as shown here on the NAE:

http://expert-images...021815_1812.gif

Then you can see the ridge build in from the west:

http://expert-images...021903_1812.gif

So the shower activity we have now across Wales will become limited away from NW Wales i think.

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

Posted

Please see here:

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/32

Also excellent resource for learners!

thanks for the link, think i understand going to try and google it to find a picture.

Posted

Please don't close on Sunday......I find the forum a brilliant source of information as you all seem to know more than the Nationals do!

I was still completing some light gritting in March last year....... think its a bit premature, you never know whats around the corner..... :cray:

Come on Jackone.......keep the belief alive! lol

Edited by TonyH
My bad!