Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Weather Discussion Part 5

J10

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Please don't close on Sunday......I find the forum a brilliant source of information as you all seem to know more than the Nationals do!

I was still completing some light gritting in March last year....... think its a bit premature, you never know whats around the corner..... :cray:

Come on Jackone.......keep the belief alive! lol

I think Jackone has a name change in mind rather than total thread closure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

I know its a bit off topic but wouldnt know where else to ask. Also i know us welshies are all friendly, can anyone recommend some books for learning about different weather features during the winter and thunderstorms etc. Reason being that i just want to improve my knowledge ready for next winter. Sorry this is completely random lol.

Posted

I know its a bit off topic but wouldnt know where else to ask. Also i know us welshies are all friendly, can anyone recommend some books for learning about different weather features during the winter and thunderstorms etc. Reason being that i just want to improve my knowledge ready for next winter. Sorry this is completely random lol.

You probably already know this but there are some great guides on the learners section of the forum... some are a bit complicated but you can learn quite a bit off here if you had the time. I would also be interested in some weather books to improve my knowledge...

Edited by shaunwales

Posted

The trough's that you see drawn on the Met Office fax charts as solid black lines are associated with an increased area of cloud and precipitation for example 06z Fax Chart for Sunday Morning:

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax24s.gif

You can see a trough moving through on the NW flow just off the coast of N Ireland, so increased shower activity likely there.

However the main problem for shower activity as we go through the night into tomorrow will be the ridge of high pressure building in as shown here on the NAE:

http://expert-images...021815_1812.gif

Then you can see the ridge build in from the west:

http://expert-images...021903_1812.gif

So the shower activity we have now across Wales will become limited away from NW Wales i think.

This has been massively discussed already over the past couple of days, and to be honest the ridge development over Wales is slower than on previous charts, if you went back to charts a few days back, pressure was deemed to be over 1022mb by midnight tonight.

Also the NAE is showing more shower activity than was than yesterday's charts.

Of course you are right in saying that the High Pressure advancement from the South West is a problem for showery activity for tomorrow.

I think Jackone has a name change in mind rather than total thread closure!

Indeed.

Irony does appear to be lost on some people here.

Onto tonight a few wintry showers here about an hour ago, dry since then. Not that many showers close to here atm.

Posted

Late evening should see more showers about, a few even left first thing in the morning as the pressure is still relatively low.

Posted

Thanks for that any others? Im looking at getting a few to have a collection, so i can contribute one day. Going to eventually get a weather station and a keep a winter diary :).

Posted

Best just look on Amazon really plenty to choose from.

Light rain shower just.

Uppers fine, thickness fine, time of day fine, however too mild here atm.

3.8c/ 0.8c dp

Posted

Best just look on Amazon really plenty to choose from.

Light rain shower just.

Uppers fine, thickness fine, time of day fine, however too mild here atm.

3.8c/ 0.8c dp

Thats the problem too much choice will have to just buy a few lol. Looking rather clear on the radar :(.

Thanks for that any others? Im looking at getting a few to have a collection, so i can contribute one day. Going to eventually get a weather station and a keep a winter diary :).

I have kept a winter diary going back to around 1999, very handy for historical reasons.

Thats the problem too much choice will have to just buy a few lol. Looking rather clear on the radar :(.

Does look a bit clear on the radar, wind direction set to turn a bit later, but pressure also set to build.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Ssoooooo.......

Another disappointment for Wales and the weather?

Welsh idiom: eira man, eira mawr (small flakes/snow, big snow.

New alternative: no snow, no snow (dim yw dim).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Ssoooooo.......

Another disappointment for Wales and the weather?

Welsh idiom: eira man, eira mawr (small flakes/snow, big snow.

New alternative: no snow, no snow (dim yw dim).

I have had enough of them today doing welsh past papers for AS level :bad:

Posted

Bit disappointed by the lack of welcome in the hillsides (or the Welsh forum)...

Anyway, I'm off home tomorrow, so I wish you a snowy winter next year :)

Posted

Beefy snow shower over NE Wales now

Posted

Bit disappointed by the lack of welcome in the hillsides (or the Welsh forum)...

Anyway, I'm off home tomorrow, so I wish you a snowy winter next year :)

Sorry for the lack of a formal welcome from the valleys and beyond. Welcome to Wales with it's (this winter) boring and zonal weather.Usually you would expect a warm welcome or (in the winters of 2009 and 2010) a quite cold welcome, this year's winter has only allowed us a mild welcome. Hope your journey home is safe and snow-free.

Posted

Lol! Thank you for your mild welcome. I think it's safe to say we won't be snowed in for our journey home - unfortunately... I'd love to stay longer...

Posted

Lol! Thank you for your mild welcome. I think it's safe to say we won't be snowed in for our journey home - unfortunately... I'd love to stay longer...

A belated Croeso i Gymru! :good:

Posted

A belated Croeso i Gymru! :good:

Thank you! :)

It's frustrating watching those showers fizzling out over Ireland, isn't it?

Posted

Welcome to my (our) life in Wales this year. Mega-disappointment on a number of occasions. Radar showing bugger-all for Wales in terms of ppt.ion. Off to hibernate until next December. Nos da (from Derek).

Posted

A few getting going over the north they look well scattered though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

There is a cell of snow which has made it through North Wales, now about 1/3 of the way down on a track towards the Beacons. If it has any staying power it will hit you about 23:30. Stranger things have happened....

Posted

Tracking well east of the Beacons that is, east of Jay even!

Posted

Hmmm yes, I thought it was going a bit far east for me. I'll have to turn the snow magnet on to bring it west! Has anyone actually seen any flakes from that pretty pink patch?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

No, but I know someone who has (that old chestnut). My daughter is on a sleepover a few miles away and saw snow from it earlier. The 925hpa wind becomes more northerly the further south in Wales you are, so it's track should veer more southerly than at present but, yes, I was just probably hoping you would have something interesting to remember from your trip to Wales!