Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 5

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

LOL double dares ya

sorry, I can't feel the crisp crinkling of £10 notes in my palm...lol

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

The band of snow currently across the E Midlands will continue to track S/SSW and reach areas just to the W of London before finally exiting around Bournmouth area. For the W Midlands pretty much patchy rain/sleet before pulling SW into SW England. So basically for the Midlands this is an E Midlands event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Snowing moderately here now, surfaces starting to get a dusting, still don't see it lasting long though, radar has the main bulk still to our East and slipping past, if it's going to pivot and move W/SW and hit Birmingham and Worcestershire it needs to make a drastic change and that's highly unlikely to happen :doh:

Posted

It was forecast like this by the models upto about 36-48 hours then suddenly it all got shifted west, only at the last minute to be rectified. I said that if it was more for the West Midlands or areas west of the M1 they would have had a spell of freezing rain or the like, i.e. not starting out as snow. So even resigned at that point to not having the heavier ppn, I knew it would start out as snow. Now we have the best of both worlds.

Looks like you are perfectly placed for a dumping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The band of snow currently across the E Midlands will continue to track S/SSW and reach areas just to the W of London before finally exiting around Bournmouth area. For the W Midlands pretty much patchy rain/sleet before pulling SW into SW England. So basically for the Midlands this is an E Midlands event.

Isn't it due to pivot and start moving W/SW when the Easterly winds dig in around midnight though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

South easterner here - just wanted to say fingers crossed it comes your way . I'm far se so not expecting anything tonight but sending wishes for you guys to have some . Like you I saw forecasts and thought you would defo get it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks like you are perfectly placed for a dumping.

I disagree.....sitting on the toilet?...Now that's being perfectly placed for a dumping!

(I'll fetch me coat! :ph34r: :lol: )

Posted

Isn't it due to pivot and start moving W/SW when the Easterly winds dig in around midnight though?

It'll be quite far south by then I would have thought.

You're better placed in Leicester...but it's looking quite bad for us in the West Midlands now.

Just had a quick read in the East Anglia and 3 Counties threads...all the reports of snow and how its settling on top of last week's snow. I had to leave!

Posted

Its actually making me bubble inside how mis-leading the midlands today, bbc weather at 6.30 and channel 3 have been, never mind the models. Looks like it'l dry up here now and for most of the surrounding area for the remainder of the night. Its so, so agrevating to imagine people lampost checking all night to find nothing and then walking down the town tommorow someone will say 'oooo the snow didnt come then did it' and use generalised comments like that. Generalised public comments regarding the weather are so annoying, but thats a differet story all together. This is abysmal forecasting.

Seriously dude, you need to chill out a bit. It's just one of those things. We did well on Saturday didn't we? And there's still time for things to change later tonight.

Bish

Posted

Its actually making me bubble inside how mis-leading the midlands today, bbc weather at 6.30 and channel 3 have been, never mind the models. Looks like it'l dry up here now and for most of the surrounding area for the remainder of the night. Its so, so agrevating to imagine people lampost checking all night to find nothing and then walking down the town tommorow someone will say 'oooo the snow didnt come then did it' and use generalised comments like that. Generalised public comments regarding the weather are so annoying, but thats a differet story all together. This is abysmal forecasting.

couldn't agree more unlucky mate, nothing here yet its all to my east or west

Posted

right then, I'll open a new thread for tonight shortly...links & stuff to follow ....

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
Posted · Hidden by kar999, February 9, 2012 - waitng for new thread
Hidden by kar999, February 9, 2012 - waitng for new thread

Why are most people complaining of appalling forecasting. Snow events are hard enough to call as it is even right up until a few hours away. East/west warm/cold battle zones are even harder to call with 0.5 degress and a few miles making all the difference.

Midlands today at 7pm showed Brum and the SW/Shropshire?welsh hills as the battle ground which meant little or no snow for me. Bang on the money so far.

This event wasn't even set to happen this far west a couple of days ago if my memory serves me correctly.

If I had a pound for every "possible" forecast snow event that never happened I'd be a rich man. I've learnt over many long years that If snow is forecast dont believe it till you actually see it falling out of the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Short clip of Peterborough 10mins ago. Turned much heavier ever since.

http://youtu.be/W8Or6FhfGiQ

You got it much better down there than here. It's falling pretty heavy but only tiny flakes, so it's doing little more than a good dusting.

In fact its just crappy graupel particles now.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

welll its been snowing in northampton for the past 2 hours. quite heavy for an hour or so but easing off now. probably another 5cm so far on top of the existing snow from the weekend. don't know whether thats it for the night now or whether we are due another heavy burst?

Posted

Pleased to see the east wind is finally shunting the precipitation back west a bit, I think the gap will close before long and most areas south of Derby should see something of a covering :)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Seriously dude, you need to chill out a bit. It's just one of those things. We did well on Saturday didn't we? And there's still time for things to change later tonight.

Bish

Its just one of them things that really gets me going, some things get other people going but mis-leading the public by giving poor unrealistic forecasts in the middle of an event just really gets under my skin. The other thing that makes it so frustrating is that we're heading towards the end of winter now and heading out of prolonged sticking snow chances.

Edit - The other frustrating thing is, I cancelled a potential birthday beer up tonight after 6-aside football to radar watch and having seen tonights weather my mom decided to pull out on tommorows birthday shopping trip to the bullring. So im now going to be snowless, clothless and bored of no intereting weather :(

Edited by Radders