Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Yep, half of the snow (about 10cm or so where undisturbed last night) has already gone this morning and the first hints of green are showing through in one or two places.

I was hoping for the last sledging day of this cold spell today but that has already gone out of the window. I reckon by this time tomorrow it will all be gone except for the drive clearing snow piles. A bit sad really, plus today is snow day number nine - I am now not coinvinced I will reach double figures this winter - that was a shoe-in a couple of days ago. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yep, half of the snow (about 10cm or so where undisturbed last night) has already gone this morning and the first hints of green are showing through in one or two places.

I was hoping for the last sledging day of this cold spell today but that has already gone out of the window. I reckon by this time tomorrow it will all be gone except for the drive clearing snow piles. A bit sad really, plus today is snow day number nine - I am now not coinvinced I will reach double figures this winter - that was a shoe-in a couple of days ago. :sorry:

Im sorry but with only 2 snow days myself I don't feel bad at all for you :p

Posted

-6 here has been all day perfect blue sky lovely

Bright sunshine :) beautiful

and just where do you live

pse drop your area/town in your avatar so we all know your location

if its in the signature I don't have those as some folk have them far too long

thanks

Posted

Still around 3 inches of snow in the fields, but obviously a big thaw taking place.I was out walking in the snow yesterday morning when the temp was -13c, so it actually felt quite warm this morning when i was out when the temp was around 3c lol.

All in all though a fantastic cold spell here with 2 dumpings of snow, and the temps hardly rising above freezing in the last week during the day due to cloud,mist and fog and some very cold temps at night in the snowfields.

Posted

Quite a quick thaw here since midnight with most of the snow now gone. We still have a good covering over grassed areas but even this is showing signs of disappearing before the end of the day. With a temperature of +6 is there any wonder. Any way can't really complain, we have had two dumpings of snow which has lasted 8 days, had a low of -9 and a whole week of near freezing daytime temperatures. Considering where we were during December and January I think us in the east have done particulary well. There is still time for more snow as I remember we had a good dumping in March which lasted nearly a week.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Fair amout of melt today but still covered on lots of grass and untouched snow, top temp 4c, 11 consecutive days with snow on ground so not too bad but I will take more!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Snow all gone here except for a few bits

Posted

Hi guys just after a bit of info / help

I have erected and fitted a Conrad WS 1600 weather Station today and just wondered what anybody's thoughts were?????

Currently showing 5.2oC

1013 pressure

70% Humidity

and wind direction anything from W to ENE

Any information / help if this is any good will help for future repoting.....

Posted

8.9c today - feels like spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Extensive melt here. 8cm this morning in the grass now 5cm. :( :( I expect it to be gone by morning apart from the big piles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

I'm depressed already at this murk and mildness currently 4 degrees as i type and apart from shaded or piled areas snows melted effectively, so hoping the possible arctic incursion next weekend perhaps upgrades tho most likely it will be watered down or end up the brief ECM suggested affair, on a positive note however there's still i reckon 4 weeks left for proper and genuinely cold weather left and longer for spring convection and sudden temp drops (clutches straw) :rofl:

Posted

Yes, if no more wintry weather will occur then I'm looking forward to a bit of proper warm, sunny weather - and the seasons first thunderstorm :yahoo:

Posted

Yes, if no more wintry weather will occur then I'm looking forward to a bit of proper warm, sunny weather - and the seasons first thunderstorm :yahoo:

'Thunderstorms' what are the odds of not seeing one of those this year?? :vava:

A hot summer with some nice spanish plumes would more than make up for any bad winter though! :)

Posted

I think we have a chance of snowfall from a low bumping into colder on air on Monday with snow showers likely across western parts over the weekend. Not a bad outlook tbh, I wouldn't focus too much after Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I think we have a chance of snowfall from a low bumping into colder on air on Monday with snow showers likely across western parts over the weekend. Not a bad outlook tbh, I wouldn't focus too much after Monday.

Could do with some nice upgrades before the event, the 12z is a downgrade compared to 6z but we will find out when the models workout where that low is going (yorkshire please). I always seem to be looking west so far this winter for snow. Much prefer North and East.

Posted

Agreed, but I'll take any snowfall, whether it's the type that melts after the snow stops falling or whether its beefy north sea snow showers like the ones we got in December 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Gosh, really dead in here although that is not surprising looking out of the window: grey, boring and uneventful.

Roll on Spring now with some warm weather - Snopdrops are out, that always cheers me up. Daffs for St Dai's day this year? Probably. :good:

Posted

All remains of the snow have now just about gone now. Whilst I was walking the dog this morning there was only a few patches left where we had drifts in the fields as well as where drive ways were cleared. Im not sure if we will see any useful snow now until November/December, but if the 00z was to verify then I might be proved wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

ahhh well think that is that for winter 11/12 even after last week still feels a let down :(

Looking forward to Summer now and then hopefuly a winter to make up for this one , although im in Florida for the first two weeks of Dec so odds are on that we get a dumping while I am away ha !! :D

Posted

ahhh well think that is that for winter 11/12 even after last week still feels a let down :(

Looking forward to Summer now and then hopefuly a winter to make up for this one , although im in Florida for the first two weeks of Dec so odds are on that we get a dumping while I am away ha !! :D

Signs showing of a cold start to March (reference to GP's post). Perhaps a repeat of March 2006? For those that don't remember it brought 7 days of fresh snow cover with around 5-10cm each day. Only downside the snow melted by afternoon mostly due to the uppers weren't really cold at all, snow would have melted had it been January too.

Anyway posted this on the Mod thread

I'm actually getting quite excited seeing this creep on-to the NMM.

Will be really interesting when when the cold undercuts the front.

GFS projects a prominent area of back edge snow, lasting for several hours over northern areas and even turning to snow over the south for an hour or two. Don't want to jump the gun but wouldn't be surprised to see a covering of snow in many areas, considering the GFS has a tendency to underestimate snow potential (v NAE/NMM) we should be in for a few surprises!

post-8968-0-66726900-1329416049_thumb.pn

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Hi guys,

Just been looking at the latest charts for this weekend, look's like the West of the region in particular and possibly North Yorkshire will get some snow showers running through on a strengthening west north westerly wind.

If you look at the cold pooling, over the weekend as the system sinks South Eastwards, it could generate some convection overland also, with pressure low and unstable at times.

Slight chance of a wintry break down, but cannot see it tbh.

Lewis