Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

The latest 850 vectors show a SE flow - alas can't work out how to display the image in this new NW format, none of the buttons seem to work.... :help: There appears to be a small HP circulation in the N Sea that is moving our way. Precipitation is still moving away South though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Got about 4cm of fresh snow here, cleared drive about 25mins ago because thought was nearly stopping and its come down very heavy again and covered the drive!

Posted

Still snowing heavily here (amazingly). I don't know, what with the change of wind vectors, does this mean that the precipitation SE of the Humber will come this way? Surely we could not be that lucky, could we?

Is it worth staying up to find out?

Am I going to work in the mornin/g?

So many questions.......

Posted

Strange behaviour on the radar tonight, it shows nothing over this area yet it is snowing quite heavily. Ive known anaprop where precipitation is shown and not really there, as well as precipitation that falls but evaporates before it hits the ground, but never this.

With regards to wind vectors, we absolutely dont want the wind to have too much of an easterly component. This snowfall event has exceptionally marginal upper air temps, but its reaching the ground as the temperature is cold enough through all levels of the atmosphere below. If the wind switches to too much of an easterly vector, we'll get moderation in the low and middle layers and it would probably turn it to rain/sleet. Not to mention temperatures at the surface would increase too so what has fallen will start to melt.

Its a pretty unique setup though, 9 times out of 10 they dont deliver at sea level, especially near to the coast.

Posted

Hi Reef, yep I have seen too many of these events here, even last winter! It does seem to have a penchant for raining here when it is below freezing with an easterly flow.

Still snowing here too - weird!

Posted

Had a slight icing sugar dusting in barnsley! nothing to sing about though! but looks like that its for winter! time to look forward to my holiday to spain!! HOLAAAAAAAA!

Posted

been out all night watching the snow i have noticed the same as others it is still snowing light to moderate here in n lincs but there is nothing on any radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A nice top up of snow today, my previous 9cm left from last Saturday has now been topped back up to 13cm. All the slushy muck left around is nice and white again :D

Posted

What a mental day!

Working in Whitby and got sent home at 3pm to get home as the snow was starting to lay. Caught the 3.30 bus to Scarborough and the roads were clear. Got to Robin Hoods Bay and it was white-out. The climb back to the main road was a nightmare with the bus grinding to a halt and at points skidding backwards!! (I actually feared for my life!!!)

We finally made it back onto the main road to be hid by standstill traffic at the flask.

The heavy snow continued and I started to think we could well be here all night!

Anyway, finally made it to Scarborough at 7.15. Nearly 4 hours stuck on the moors!

To my surprise Scarborough wasn't much better on the roads and It's still snowing now after a lull with about 6-8cm's on the ground.

I video'd the Robin Hoods Bay bit and I'll try and post it later.

Posted

Are things beginning to change out there? The temperature here has risen by 0.1 degree and rain has been reported at Market Weighton. Still heavy snow here even though the radar says nothing.

Posted

Well that was forecast very poorly, brief burst of snowfall and thats it.

Nothing like the NMM or NAE.

Disappointing but I'm over it .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

Still snowing here very light now though. Bad day for the radars really!!!

Posted

Still snowing here, temp -0.5c and been stuck at that for 3 hours now, has not budged. Snow went light for 15 mins or so, but it's picking back up again now.

Very weird, I think all weather sites get their feed from metoffice, so, maybe it's metoffice's affecting all the radars out there.

Because this image below my friends, shows no chance of snow haha! Last post for me tonight, currently got over 5cm of snowfall tonight.

T9yFK.png

Posted

Are things beginning to change out there? The temperature here has risen by 0.1 degree and rain has been reported at Market Weighton. Still heavy snow here even though the radar says nothing.

Don't believe the Market Weighton rain, it was Ian White on Look North when it was obviously snowing, just fine flakes.

Hasn't stopped here since 2.30 with about 3 inches on top of previous snow. Temp -1.6 now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Good 5cm of additional snow tonight and still coming down, not heavy but continuous, temp been below freezin all night and now dropping slightly. More snow than expected by Paul hudson on radio Lincs at 5pm!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

sad to say another flop by the nmm never it gets it right. None event here just a slight dusting which is probably 50% frost. Sad to say this looks like the last event for some time if the GFS is right away from the highest ground that is.