Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Sleet and hail showers here this morning on the NE'ly wind. As i type another one going through. Temp is 3C , Dewpoint 1.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

We must have picked up a shower or two overnight here as well as there is a slight covering. Nipped into the model thread and was most disappointed with the outlook. Looks as if we are in for a very unsettled and cool period with the chance of "copius amounts of rain?" Please God no! not after the winter we've just had. HELP!!

3.3c/-8.4c NE.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A few flurries earlier on but the skies are now mostly blue. The cover from the evenings showers is melting in the sun. 3C with a much lighter Northerly breeze.

Posted

Hadn't appreciated how much rain had fallen yesterday - some 29.6mm at Leuchars. Welcome after a very dry March here.

Cloudy and cool here today after some graupel showers yesterday evening and overnight. Currently 6c, wind NNE 15mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

We reached 5.6C here this afternoon in the sunshine and all the snow has gone from lower ground under about 150 mtrs or so. Patchy above that now too.

With snowmelt my rain gauge showed 18 mms rainfall from Monday evening to today, more than February and March put together and this is probably an under estimate due to the snow blowing about a a lot.

Posted

Just been up to Brauer and back, and seems there is more snow cover around Blackwood and Gleneagles than Pitlochery and beyond. In-laws saying they had 7" in Forres, which is unheard of. Ochils were all white this morning, but starting to look patchy now. Short and sweet would be a good summary I think.

Currently 6C with a gentle breeze and high clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wow, that is an utter belter of a pic HC! Where did the Kessock bridge go?? Been a few of those beastly masses around today. Snowing on and off for last couple hours. 0.2C

Went to check and the bridge is still there:

And a view up the firth from under the bridge to the start of the Strathglass hills:

Still plenty of snow cover around but thinning rapidly in strong sun today with little left near the coast and below 100m or so. Heard a report of over a foot of snow yesterday morning on the top of the Black Isle - somewhere around 220m asl.

Edit.. dunno why the forum uploader always shrinks my photos to the same size - the 2nd of these above doesn't really do the original justice at all, the air was reasonably clear today. Any hints on how to solve this?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

A summers sunset at the end of a summers day behind Ben Wyvis with Nairn below.post-2744-0-85074700-1332796975_thumb.jp

A few photos from around the farm this evening still showing significant snowcover.Will be a week until the ground dries up to cross again. Good job it is a slow melt and we are getting the benefit and not soil damage with a fast runoff.

9 days later and a winter sunset over Ben Wyvis following a winters day with still a good snow cover .post-2744-0-84122400-1333568328_thumb.jp

Garden still covered in deep snow.post-2744-0-99728800-1333568294_thumb.jp

Shrubbery trying to look colourful.

post-2744-0-16822200-1333568257_thumb.jp

Battered daffodils.post-2744-0-53323100-1333568219_thumb.jp

Lots of branches broken off trees so a bit of tidying up round the fields in the next few weeks when the ground dries up again.post-2744-0-44302400-1333568145_thumb.jp

Currently snow firming up at 0c so I can still say I had white birthday today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Happy Birthday! And you got icing too.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Lovely green / white mix up here now. The hill road was in a real state yesterday with waste-deep drifts, but it got ploughed so there are still big snow banks most of the way up.

In the far distance the fields of Fife are criss-crossed with a white grid where the hedges and fence lines accumulated the most. Looks great! Over the other side of the Forth the western Pentlands look like they caught a fair bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Birthday Wishes NL. Have a great day !

HC some magic photos over the last couple of days family connections to Inverness so will be saving these and sending to my old man :)

Also - The Netweather Storm competition is open for Entries now. If I don't fluke a win then I hope one of the Scottish Regional folks do get entering !! http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=win-a-storm-chasing-holiday;sess=

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Snowcover complete, starts getting patchy below 200ms. Nice and crisp at the mo. -2.3C

Hope you had a good birthday NL, cracking pics again, HC too

Posted

Grey and cool this morning; no snow left near here apart from a few odd patches up the hill behind us. Still looks completely white higher up on the south side of the firth though. Scotster pointed out the mosaic of white and green - I was trying to work out why it looks so different to the December snow and this is it - at the I have a problem-end of the year, it's all a white and greyish yellow mosaic which is not as interesting.

edit o look the netweather nanny has messed up my post again. baboons. yeah, onanists.

ok that was puerile.

<sigh> a few clicks and I was on a Californian beach, surfing with the rest :rofl: . The joys and despair of the internet.

Fack me I'll be talking to the neighbours next :wacko:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Been to Liverpool and back today. Patchy snow top of M74, and around the Cumbria Fells, but can't seeing it last another day.

Was -5C when I left @ 5am, wall to wall blue all day in Scouse land, and arrived back to grey and damp! 9c currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Beautiful morning here then started to cloud over just before lunch. Chilly afternoon without the sun. Can't wait for the weather to perk up again. Sick of reading and hearing about the southerners bloody drought!!

Posted

jings. quiet in here! Cools start today but quite mild out now. Not sure i am terribly excited about the weather outlook for the next week or so. Looking abit dull, overcst and dreich. Ah well. Hvae a good easter weekend all. I'll be mostly working it seems.

Posted

Most of snow gone today but large drifts still lining north facing dykes probably for another day at least. The old uns would say it was waiting for more but perhaps not in the spring .Currently 5c

Posted

Most of snow gone today but large drifts still lining north facing dykes probably for another day at least. The old uns would say it was waiting for more but perhaps not in the spring .Currently 5c

Aye. In December or January we'd still be dusting ourselves down and thinking about digging the cars out after a drop like that. However I think we've de-iced our windscreens and watched the last lamp-post till November.

Posted

Grey and cool today, bright layer of stratus blanketing everything and delivering cold drizzle.

Cracking pic from the BBC weekly pictures around Scotland..

post-7292-0-64693900-1333706412_thumb.jp

Posted

After the sun and heat of last week ago followed by the wind,snow and frost today is rather nondescript. Mostly cloudy, dry with a light Westerly breeze and av temps. Currently 9.5C.

Snow only visible along dykes and hollows where it drifted in this area too now.

Posted

Grey and wet, little patches of soft snow left from about 150m upwards in shade - behind the dykes, as NL says. At least it's a poets day!

Back at base now and drying kit off. That was dreary :80: . More yellow starting to appear now in our vast fields of oilseed. What is this stuff used for?

Best sight today was lapwings displaying and calling in a huge field of baby Xmas trees; in the next field - the remains of sheep-eaten neeps - there were lots of black-headed gulls making a right racket, probably some sort of :wub: again.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Garden being heavily watered here right now. Proper rain - none of yer fluffy soft drizzle stuff - really going for it/solid pishin doon material.

Damn cat flap not installed yet in the nearly complete (touches wood) extension - just the hole cut the day. Of course no gutters yet and a wee river developed down the side of the building; destination newly cut cat flap hole....

Mop and bucket tae the rescue. Panic over now. Hello April showers...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

A fun evening then SS !! You can always rely on a cat flap to play havoc with a Friday evening :)