Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I've received an unconditional offer to do physics at Edinburgh Uni

Congratulations!!

And the Physics dept is in Kings Buildings so you'll be very nicely placed for the Blackford Hill weather station, as well as being on the southern and slightly uphill edge of the city so most likely to benefit from any snow!

I'm glad I went o'er the Forth yesterday because we woke to heavy whirling snow, proper big fluffy snowflakes settling thickly on parked cars and grassy areas, albeit not on roads or most pavements. I spent a happy ten minutes on the platform at Dunfermline before my train came, and I'm jolly glad I did because Edinburgh has sleety-rain and it's 'orrible!

But I had my few minutes to smile about - if anyone saw a ball of wool walking up and down a station platform, that was me!

BM

Posted

It's amazing how Dundee has Snow at sea level yet Edinburgh doesn't, any answers folks?

The most amazing thing this morning is how the Dublane area has had lying snow and Stirling has nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Got about an inch or so of typical Scottish snow i.e. pretty wet and slushy in places. However, it's still the most we've had all winter so I'll certainly take it. Got my theory test in Dundee so I probably couldn't have done with too much anyway. I certainly never considered the possibility of it being cancelled due to snow when I booked it. Anyway, hopefully there'll be enough left up at Scotster's end of the hill for the next 48 hours for a snowy hill walk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It's amazing how Dundee has Snow at sea level yet Edinburgh doesn't, any answers folks?

I think the temperature gradient was so sharp that simply being 30 miles further north was actually more of a factor than being at the same altitude. It being snow here yet only sleety in Dunblane is testament to that I think.

Posted

Still Freezing post-2744-0-67502400-1333448445_thumb.jp

There Is A Buried Dyke Underneath. post-2744-0-15724600-1333448471_thumb.jp

Arctic Sky post-2744-0-06390600-1333448553_thumb.jp

Cat Misjudging Depth Of Snow post-2744-0-97027400-1333448611_thumb.jp Ho Ho Ho !!!!! Especially for Aurora Storm

Another Shower Incoming From The NE. post-2744-0-81940600-1333448673_thumb.jp

And Its Snowing Again

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Nice snow blanket to insulate the newly sown barley.

My grandad used to say the first snow of the winter should be dug into the garden because it brought all the nitrogen out of the air to go into the ground as a fertiliser... given that he lived in colliery districts, he might have had something in the olden days - but of course it's got its uses even later in the winter like, er, after winter has ended :)

Gorgeous pics, NL, really gorgeous. Keep posting these are you'll be getting a Land Girl turning up looking for a spare stable to sleep in and a John Deere to drive! :D

Posted

Great pics NL, that is a cracking view of The Ben you have! You must see some sunsets

Some heavy snow showers passing through with random 5 min spells of sunshine too. Currently -0.2C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Can't offer any wintry photos but we just had a fairly mental heavy shower of big pea-sized graupel-cum-hail which had folk scurrying for cover. And some fairly irate geese overhead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I think it is probably snowing at fort SS now. Soutra and new Earlston cams offline for now but bordersweather cam in Greenlaw shows snow after just sleet S of Soutra the morn.

http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxcam.php

Posted

Awoke to 6-7 inches of snow! Easily the best snow we've had since winter 2010/11 and the biggest single dumping for a long while.

Posted

Colleagues at work advising there is a decent covering of snow inland/higher parts of Fife but no lying snow here on the NE coastal strip. Nice to see some falling snow at last though!

Currently showers of snow pellets and notably cold at 3c/-1c, wind ENEly 24mph.

Posted

hi all - about all melted in the city at least now, even the western suburbs.

To put a fly in the ointment re the theory on why snow in Edinburgh but not Dundee, I would say there looks to be more in Dundee than what there ever was in Aberdeen (the city at least). Suburbs and out in the sticks has certainly had a pretty big falls of snow compared to the south.

Been a dry morning and some sun. bitter with the wind and 3C. Showers starting to pick up on the radar and as I type heavy snow shower going on. Met O forecast suggest some merging showers later for north Aberdeenshire including here so may be a bit more to some.

Posted

Decent prolonged graupel shower now turned into blustery snow here at Riccarton just to the west of edinburgh. Not sticking of course though.

Posted

Reporting Scotland shots look great. Lovely, deep snow creating a winter wonderland with lovely crisp winter sunshine and snow showers from a NEly. Lovely, just a lovely as last week's weather I'd say. Seems like this was the main snow event of the winter for most so with the snow events of December, February down south and some cold weather and snowfalls here during the winter makes it not a bad one. I hope the rest of Spring will be pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I envy you, particularly those of you in the northern half of Scotland. Until a couple of days ago your mix of sun and snow showers was projected to affect north-east England starting this afternoon, with accumulations of snow overnight even out to the coast, but the frontal system is set to prove a lot more stubborn than that and I'm staring at a couple of days of stratus, bitter NE winds and driving sleet. OK I've had some wintry precipitation but in truth it's pretty dreich out there down here in South Tyneside- certainly tough if you're out and about.

I'll be keeping watch on this thread to see what sort of skyscapes turn up!

Posted

Been a few snow showers floating around the area. I went for a drive up the Campsies where the snow has settled and it feels incredibly raw. I doubt that those north sea snow showers will amount to much here, but maybe on the east coasts it could be interesting. Great stuff for April.

Posted

Still getting battered here too by hail/sleet/show showers. Great day!

Posted

Still getting battered here too by hail/sleet/show showers. Great day!

Aye - another hail shower just battered through here (nr Ed. Airport) giving something of a covering.