Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted

Lecht Ski Area opening Wednesday for part 2 of the 2012 Scottish Ski Season, or as someone said to me earlier since we had summer last week, should that not be the 2012/13 season is go... maybe we shouldn't joke about summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Moving from [...] Winter into Spring.. Will it / Won't it deliver another cold blast..

Now that was a fairly interesting question to ask way back at the start of this thread as we all moaned on about dull grey nothingness weather...!

Mr. Ambassador forgot to mention he'd be spoiling us with the hottest March days on record first, just to really mess with our minds... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Lecht Ski Area opening Wednesday for part 2 of the 2012 Scottish Ski Season, or as someone said to me earlier since we had summer last week, should that not be the 2012/13 season is go... maybe we shouldn't joke about summer!

To be fair last week was probably Scotlands summer, I think 13c+ is a heatwave for Shetland Islands in July ? :acute:

Posted

Have a feeling some of these showers might give a wee dusting tonight. :)

It'd be nice to get some settling snow but unfortuantly I don't think the showers will be heavy enough, persistent enough or long enough to give us anything. But it's nice to watch the clouds rolling across the area in the NEly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

To be fair last week was probably Scotlands summer, I think 13c+ is a heatwave for Shetland Islands in July ? :acute:

That's suspiciously troll-like in tone, sir. Desist if you please. :p

Some more pics...

Here's one for TWS: The obvious structure just right of centre is the Caley Thistle stadium.

One for the hardier types (it was quite a battle at times along there, ears and digits getting bead-blasted :cold: ):

And this is also rather seasonal, or at least it is here, we usually have a few of these flowering around Easter:

Still more wintry showers zipping through this evening.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The ground is white here again after a couple of recent showers. The sun had cleared most of this mornings fall in the afternoon despite the occasional hail showers. Temp 1.1c

After last months drought the rain sleet and snow in the last 24 hours have given a total of 17 mms.

Posted

Here's one for TWS: The obvious structure just right of centre is the Caley Thistle stadium.

Wow, that is an utter belter of a pic HC! Where did the Kessock bridge go?? Been a few of those beastly masses around today. Snowing on and off for last couple hours. 0.2C

Posted

2nd snow day of the year here, 3 inches or so this morning, bit wet but good to see. A couple of showers throughout the day and still got some lying but lots of loss throught the day.

In response to earlier comments on Dunblane v Stirling, we seem to have our own micro climate up here, often nothing in Stirling but snow appears as soon as you hit Kier roundabout at the end of the M9. Not sure exactly what causes it other than a bit of extra altitude but it is almost always the case.

Last winter was a classic example, we still had significant lying snow, after the December cold spell, nearly a month longer than most surrounding areas.

A couple of pics from early this afternoon. Perfect for making big snowballs.

post-8494-0-75333800-1333479947_thumb.jp

post-8494-0-40784300-1333480155_thumb.jp

Posted

That's suspiciously troll-like in tone, sir. Desist if you please. :p

Some more pics...

One for the hardier types (it was quite a battle at times along there, ears and digits getting bead-blasted :cold: ):

And this is also rather seasonal, or at least it is here, we usually have a few of these flowering around Easter:

Still more wintry showers zipping through this evening.

That fist picture is fantastic particularly! Some great photos of the snow from elsewhere too - enjoyed looking at them today. Need to work out how to post, though what we had here was not really very notable!

Temp dropping away here - all snow gone from the garden, though the odd shower leaving temporary covering. MetO still going for more organised showers moving in later before fizzling away. Tomorrow still looking chilly, but up to double digits Thursday, before a wee cool down Friday and Saturday. Good weather!

2nd snow day of the year here, 3 inches or so this morning, bit wet but good to see. A couple of showers throughout the day and still got some lying but lots of loss throught the day.

In response to earlier comments on Dunblane v Stirling, we seem to have our own micro climate up here, often nothing in Stirling but snow appears as soon as you hit Kier roundabout at the end of the M9. Not sure exactly what causes it other than a bit of extra altitude but it is almost always the case.

Last winter was a classic example, we still had significant lying snow, after the December cold spell, nearly a month longer than most surrounding areas.

A couple of pics from early this afternoon. Perfect for making big snowballs.

post-8494-0-75333800-1333479947_thumb.jp

post-8494-0-40784300-1333480155_thumb.jp

When I used to live down in Glasgow I often headed up the road past there to my folks in Perthshire. It is definitely a favoured spot for the snow. Dunkeld/Birnam being another one.

Posted

Been looking at the radar and look out the window and it seems that the east is benefiting very well from regular snowfall. My location is too far west from the showers but not a million miles away.

Posted

Edinburgh Suburban South has had no lying snow, but I'm very happy with the odd flurry (the bulk being rain-sleet this morning, and hail this afternoon) and extremely happy with my ten minutes standing on the platform at dunfermline train station in a proper snowstorm like last year! :D

Posted

Arrived hame to nothing after the good covering we had @ 7am. Temp I think peaked around 2C, a whole 20C less than last week.

558506_10150626653070829_675790828_9713221_659001355_n.jpg

Looking east and there is still a lot of showers piling in, but not expecting them to reach this far, but one can hope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some amazing photos on this thread today :) What an arctic blast... side ways snow to start the day off then turning to mush halfway along the motorway at around 100m asl.

Around work today was squally hail and extremely unpleasant. A proper sandblasting of icy cold. Wind still howling away too..

>>> tornado Footage from Texas on news !!!! Oooft !

Posted

Showers in a line just to south of us now, temp's stuck at 1C again but the grass is crunchy. Big bright moon tonight! Happily, that pesky wind has eased so maybe the house won't be quite so cold in the morning tomorrow.

I have to echo those mentioning the difference between the beginning of last week and this, more than 20C here. Down to my t-shirt for a couple of days last week, today it was 2 shirts, pullover, fleece, coat, hat, gloves... quite some change; but this is what April's about I guess. I think it was only 4 years ago we had something similar although not so extreme at Easter, although I remember that as we were down in the Lake District at the time - a brilliant place in the snow.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had snow on and off most of yesterday, then at 6am this morning heavy hail and then heavy snow and that all stopped at about 7. Hens water deep frozen and the ground all white and crunchy. White world outside and very miffed lambs!

Posted

Soft hail and snow flakes floating down this morning no intensity so cold snap on the wane.Still 50%of snow lying since yesterday and drifts may take a few days to thaw as they are mostly on the north side of dykes etc.... Currently 0c. Cows may get out today to grass field if a bit more thaws .Wintering sheep yesterday dug up the turnips we put in the field the day before snow and ignored hay hake,must like turnips

Posted

Woke to a slight covering this morning and we are now in the middle of quite a heavy snow shower, big flakes :air_kiss: The sun is trying to break through so I guess it's not going to last long. Hopefully see a few more showers throughout the morning.

Posted

Soft hail and snow flakes floating down this morning no intensity so cold snap on the wane.

There was a near-neighbour (or yourself?!) on Radio4's Farming programme this morning saying there's almost always a 'wee bit storm' sometime during lambing, at the start or in the middle or at the end of it - and he used the local word for it, which I didn't catch, being as how I was asleep really, but he repeated it for the presenter and told her it was the local word for a lapwing, I think... so "a lapwing storm" only with the local word instead...

I thought of you and this thread when I heard it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

The peeweet storm They say that here too. Comes with the lambs and the lapwings.(peeweets) :)

Posted

Soft hail and snow flakes floating down this morning no intensity so cold snap on the wane.Still 50%of snow lying since yesterday and drifts may take a few days to thaw as they are mostly on the north side of dykes etc.... Currently 0c. Cows may get out today to grass field if a bit more thaws .Wintering sheep yesterday dug up the turnips we put in the field the day before snow and ignored hay hake,must like turnips

Have seen sheep squabbling over turnips recently...

3C, sunny and less of a wind. Had more ppn in the last 4 days than in the previous 2 months.

Posted

The peeweet storm They say that here too. Comes with the lambs and the lapwings.(peeweets) :)

Nope, that wasn't it - 'peewit' is the name I know them by.

Eventually, I looked it up and it was 'teuchat', "a teuchat storm". A good term, useful one for a late flurry of storm just as lapwings come back.