Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

8.8c WSW and, would you believe it, fleeting glimpses of something called the sun! The models however now begin their backtrack. It appears that whatever the prospects, that limpet AH cannot bring itself to leave our vicinity! We can only hope that it won't wish to bugger off in the summer months either!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

8.8c WSW and, would you believe it, fleeting glimpses of something called the sun! The models however now begin their backtrack. It appears that whatever the prospects, that limpet AH cannot bring itself to leave our vicinity! We can only hope that it won't wish to bugger off in the summer months either!

I have been thinking for a while that according to the law we live by (sods) and the general low quality summers experienced in recent years, I would not be in the slightest surprised if it chose to disappear at the end of May for about 3 months lol!

Posted

Better day today, no rain, light winds and little bits of some weird colour..... blue!

Still looking like a wee cold snap arriving by the end of the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

No record this afternoon perhaps but surely last nights temps must have been about the warmest overnight Winter temps recorded in Scotland. Saw 15.3c from Perthshire at midnight, higher at Aboyne with 15.9c and Aberdeen Airport had 16.1C at 0400 hrs.

Here we got 14.5C this afternoon.

Just been reading KevBrad's report on TWO of the blizzard in January 1913 when that same part of Perthshire got 31 inches of snow. Quite a difference! Know which I'd prefer at this time of year.

Maximum of 15.7C here today. A personal record for February/winter since I started recording in 2009. It could have been so much higher though without the cloud. Incredibly mild last night and was 14.5C and rising when I went to bed at 11:45pm.

These temperatures were caused by the Fohn effect according to a report I saw last night on the BBC weather forecast (BBC news channel).

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/The-Foehn-foehn-wind.htm

Posted

These temperatures were caused by the Fohn effect according to a report I saw last night on the BBC weather forecast (BBC news channel).

http://www.weatheron...-foehn-wind.htm

Yup indeed they were. Will enjoy its effect tomorrow again to a lesser extent, but htink there is some cloud it will bring with it.

Nicer day today in terms of sun, but much fresher. There was a grass frost first thing. Yesterday morning it was 16C!!

So getting chilly at the weekend. Off to see what is being said of the models and if we have any northerlies on the cards...Can but hope! I assume by how quiet it is that the mental model output of yesterday has gone away?

Posted

edit - aarrrggghh, it is a potential easterly seems to be the discussions. Ah well. Does not look too potent but as ever it is all a right jumble. weekend looks cool at nights and least and generally dry so that will do me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

How are all our Kilted folks bearing up under the grey blanket ! Model runs are still failing to inspire at present bit of a groundhog day with the altogether familiar.. a glimpse of another cold incursion will make for more interesting viewing from tomorrow ( bias here as am off and will have a chance to catch up on them properly )..

Looking at the ECM the usual pattern appears. Our AH, which will of course beggar off for summer, sneaking around as usual and that ghastly seemingly ever present vortex.. I think my eyes are bleeding seeing these pair of features ( careful how you say features there...)

post-7292-0-68588600-1330552258_thumb.gi

Also circled are a lump of pressure readings, noticed these before but still working on the how and why of they appear in phases in that area.

A familiar colder incursion then on the Ensembles, colder control run here and scatter thereafter meaning things to watch towards the 5th as runs roll through..not to mention some slider drama of will it won't it..

post-7292-0-38343100-1330552268_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

How are all our Kilted folks bearing up under the grey blanket ! Model runs are still failing to inspire at present bit of a groundhog day with the altogether familiar.. a glimpse of another cold incursion will make for more interesting viewing from tomorrow ( bias here as am off and will have a chance to catch up on them properly )..

Looking at the ECM the usual pattern appears. Our AH, which will of course beggar off for summer, sneaking around as usual and that ghastly seemingly ever present vortex.. I think my eyes are bleeding seeing these pair of features ( careful how you say features there...)

post-7292-0-68588600-1330552258_thumb.gi

Also circled are a lump of pressure readings, noticed these before but still working on the how and why of they appear in phases in that area.

A familiar colder incursion then on the Ensembles, colder control run here and scatter thereafter meaning things to watch towards the 5th as runs roll through..not to mention some slider drama of will it won't it..

Yes groundhog day about sums it up here too: cloudy, mild, a bit of a breeze coming and going.... snooze weather really, not very interesting and certainly crap photographically.

I see the S word being touted aboot ITV weather fir Sunday onwards. BBQ's at the ready then. :p

Wot's that then, shiiiit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Did someone mention BBQ weather!! lol! easterly anyone? :help:

Posted

Scotland weather the QB not on duty. How they can go from QB at one end of the spectrum to a man in drag at the other will never know.. guess that is the diversity box well and truly ticked..

Ensembles have 45% chance of snow so I agree off to re-stock the charcoal !

Posted

Scotland weather the QB not on duty. How they can go from QB at one end of the spectrum to a man in drag at the other will never know.. guess that is the diversity box well and truly ticked..

It must be past my bedtime as you have completely lost me there... night all (2 of yous).

Posted

LOL - all two of us. I was over on model thread due to GFS throwing up Turkish Delights !

To explain BBC Weather HC goes from the well known aboot Miss Qb

post-7292-0-54216600-1330558261_thumb.jp

to...

post-7292-0-02789500-1330558278_thumb.jp

Aesthetically different..

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

1st March, Spring Time noo then! :huh:

Winter 2011 - 2012 = The Winter than never was :rolleyes:

Current weather:

Eh fkn Rrrain as ever, so nae fkn change there then :clap: :clap: :clap:

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

and little bits of some weird colour..... blue!

Yeh, I saw that too here in Edinburgh. Was quite disconcerting at first until a colleague from France assured me it was perfectly safe and occurs regularly where they come from.

Yeh, I saw that too here in Edinburgh. Was quite disconcerting at first until a colleague from France assured me it was perfectly safe and occurs regularly where they come from.

I can already see a huge difference between the south-east of Scotland and out towards the west coast in terms of cloud/rain...you really have no idea until you start moving house between the two that there are huge differences in just over a hundred miles. You (or should that now be we?) don't know you're born SS :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clouded up here just recently after long sunny spells. Max was 12.2C and felt very Springlike.

Seeing talk of rain my Feb total was 11 mms so has been very dry here. Av is 45 mms for Feb. Quite a difference from not too far West.

Dundee Uni site shows a remarkably dry 17.5 mms so far this year , about half of my total of 33 mms.

Posted

Wet day with persistent drizzle, occasional rain mixed in with small moisture droplets and water globules. No funny blue bits at all. Ach well, mebbe tomorrow.

Clouded up here just recently after long sunny spells. Max was 12.2C and felt very Springlike.

Seeing talk of rain my Feb total was 11 mms so has been very dry here. Av is 45 mms for Feb. Quite a difference from not too far West.

Dundee Uni site shows a remarkably dry 17.5 mms so far this year , about half of my total of 33 mms.

I think it has been drier than normal in the west too, just not as relatively dry as it's been in the east and normally it's far wetter anyway...if that makes sense :lol:

Posted

23mm here for February. You got one of anyweather's little rain gauges?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ok, models looking like a typically scottish spring. Mild, pish, rain, sleet, snaw, sunny, frosty, windy and variations thereof.

Incidentally, is this not like the biggest Atlantic low pressure system ever? Stretches from Labrador to the Black Sea.

ecmt850.240.png

Posted

Yes, SS, bit of a quick-fire mixture coming up - a couple of sunny days would be most welcome to encourage the trogs out of their holes.