Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted

Some heavy snow showers today, blown in from the NW, where (Sadly) pretty much all the snow has come this winter. Everthing is white and the snow has been good to watch but it's yet another fleeting visit I guess. Currently O.1C

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

Cool afternoon fresh west wind with light hail and snow showers but not settling .Currently 1.9c looks as though we will have an air frost tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Bit of everything today. Snow.....even short-lived....is always nice to see. Things even went white for a spell as the heaviest stuff got dumped, and the temperature dropped from 5C to 0.5C in the space of 15 minutes or so. The sad take on that.....is that the dusting it left is probably the most substantial dumping here since December. God-awful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nice heavy snow shower just after three here. Lovely to see. Feels very cold now and hopeful of a few more later on. 3.3c/-3.7c

Posted

Snow has got pretty heavy here, it's very wet though so not doing much other than making some slush. Last winter I wouldn't even have looked out the window at this! It shows how spoiled we were last year...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

2.4c here and clear. One or two light passing wintryish showers here in the afternoon.

Snow showers at my mums up in Highland Perthshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Brrr, freezing wind, rain, hail, mix on leaving work, back along the M.8 and elevation meant more snow in the mix.

As Ross B mentions, nothing major compared to years gone by, an after thought of a Winter Blast, kind of sums up this Winter really!

This pic from a photographer I follow on the Twitter is superb.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/grant_r/6962617929/

Lionel messi - oooft..

Posted

Always pleasing reading reports of snow at anytime of year.. and though the immediate outlook suggest no snow activity on low ground for the foreseeable future - I very much doubt this will be the last time many parts of scotland see snow for the season. Indeed any northerly in April is likely to be a very cold affair thanks to the very cold arctic this season - and northerlies reach their yearly maxim in April.

Posted

Always pleasing reading reports of snow at anytime of year.. and though the immediate outlook suggest no snow activity on low ground for the foreseeable future - I very much doubt this will be the last time many parts of scotland see snow for the season. Indeed any northerly in April is likely to be a very cold affair thanks to the very cold arctic this season - and northerlies reach their yearly maxim in April.

Yes lots of silage, hay,straw and turnips left from the mild winter but come April we may be glad we have them when it becomes cold and the grass does not grow till May. Nature has a way of balancing things out in the end even drought may hinder grass growth soon in our area.

Posted

A couple of flirty snow showers through the evening but nothing to write home about. Cold and crisp with todays snowcover looking pretty in the moonlight. Currently 0.1C

More exciting than the weather I saw a wildcat on my travels tonight, first time in about 5 years. Always a privilege

Lionel messi - oooft..

Aye what a player. A staggering talent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just back from a few days on Skye & nearby and yes, the rumours are true: it's wetter & windier in the west! Monday was just wonderful, blue skies everywhere; Tuesday was wet (really wet by Black Isle standards) and got very windy then very, very windy (hurricane by Black Isle standards) in the evening; yesterday there were lots of big beefy snow and hail showers that intensified towards evening, and some had thunder on their leading edges (thunder snow probably absent from Black Isle altogether :() . That was a bit un-nerving as I was carrying a long steel rod sticking up out the top of my rucksack :ph34r:

Would I move to Skye? :lol: :blink: :crazy:

Posted

Been a very nice day here in Scarborough. Some snow on the M74 on route down, and some over the A66.

Last night at home was a wash out, and @ 5am it was 3C and still rain

PS, Northern lights tonight if clear. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17295337

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Think I can see a wisps of aurora to the north in the small gaps in the cloud.Currently breezy and 9.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Quite a grey day here, pretty chilly in the breeze too, today pretty much my least favourite weather..

Perfect timing for that Horizon program this week preceeding the biggest Solar Storm for some years. Real shame about the cloud cover, also the full moon would have dampened aurora to some extent.

From NASA found this image of cloud streets near Greenland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_convective_rolls

Weather continues to amaze...

post-7292-0-48430400-1331238210_thumb.jp

Mid month sees the resident high finally give up the ghost and topple South East with potential for another incursion from the NW - N

http://www.meteociel...H1-192.GIF?08-0

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Think I can see a wisps of aurora to the north in the small gaps in the cloud.Currently breezy and 9.7c

Just been alerted by Aurora Storm(City based so light polution an issue)) to check for the aurora and I can see some yellow/green curtains between the scurrying clouds to the north just now but it is not far above the horizon. However the sky is pretty interesting tonight with Jupiter and Venus and a bright moon illuminating the passing clouds. Can see to move around quite easily without a torch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clouds scurrying past here too though there is the odd break to the NE. No Northern Lights to be seen though the sky is light around the moon.

Temp now over 10c from 0c this morning.

Posted

8C here in Scarborough with broken clouds. Can't see anything to the North.

Anyone for prospecting? http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-17289065

More chance of finding gold than sunshine I think! Weather is more typical of a N Easterly rather than S Westerly

(see my av pic!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

WTF?

ecmt850.192.png

ecmt850.216.png

ecmt850.240.png

Sighs.

At least my extension roof should be sealed already should this come to pass.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Been a very nice day here in Scarborough. Some snow on the M74 on route down, and some over the A66.

Last night at home was a wash out, and @ 5am it was 3C and still rain

PS, Northern lights tonight if clear. http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-17295337

I know I reckon if it was -3c it would still rain in Scotland. I am not enjoying spring as I don't feel I have had a winter. Nae lying Snow in Jan/Feb and now March looks like following. It is the worst I can remember. Plus the Ski centres closed in February and will not reopen given it's the middle of March and they have no base left apart from Glencoe. I have had one Scottish ski day this year. The rest were either too windy or not enough snow. 2011/12 the year without a winter.