Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well GFS 06z certainly looks good next week for a cold shot, but so far, the comments on the model thread certainly don't convey that! Maybe a touch of once bitten etc. Will wait for N.Sussex & Co. to update I think.

Hmmm.....Nick S acknowledges the chance, but remaining very cautious. Still, it ups the interest in chart watching for the moment.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Breezy dry, dull and currently 9.2c.Folds to empty and neeps to lift this week in time for the spring blizzard with proper blowing snow!!! ,haven"t had that for many decades at our level. .As the old farmers and I am one now used to say we"ll pay for this benign spell later! Dust starting to fly on the once muddy tracks.

Pay later for what benign spell NL, Dry! Dust! :huh:

No here NL no here, just as pishy wet as ever in these parts (No raining a the moment though :D )

Ground Fkn sodden and has been so since oor last guid summer in 1995 :rolleyes:

A couple o' years back it looked like it was gonnae dry up a bit, then Rihanna released that fkn Umbrella song,

Rained ever since :doh: Beatch!

Big Innes

Posted

hi all

gash here today - feels like it has been dry for so long too so a shock to the system. skies clearing here to the west I see. not much rain has fallen really though. Sunny and mild week - particularly tomorrow. Then a cool down and its all up in the air as usual with regards any specifics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

wet and grey here today too. So, the models are on the tease again? Will go and have a gander.....

Posted

Pay later for what benign spell NL, Dry! Dust! :huh:

No here NL no here, just as pishy wet as ever in these parts (No raining a the moment though :D )

Ground Fkn sodden and has been so since oor last guid summer in 1995 :rolleyes:

A couple o' years back it looked like it was gonnae dry up a bit, then Rihanna released that fkn Umbrella song,

Rained ever since :doh: Beatch!

Big Innes

Sorry about the comments thats the problem living in the rain shadow of the Cairngorms maybe we"ll get some NE winds soon. Much better chance of this in the spring and would help dry out the west.

.Fully aware how wet it can be in the west with my sister living near Glasgow. but must admit it is nice to get out of the wellies for a bit.

Heres to everyone getting a share of the weather we are having just now.Looks as though further east tomorrow may have record breaking temperatures

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Warm, dry & very gloomy today. Lots of pesky little flies skanking around the woods, homing in the the fresh dogcrap that follows the warmer weather.

I would be very surprised if we got more than transient sleet now, that Azores cowpat is sticking around still.

Posted

I would be very surprised if we got more than transient sleet now, that Azores cowpat is sticking around still.

Indeed HC. I see GFS 12z has already downgraded the prospect of cold/snow next week. In view of it not being far off the mark all winter, regarding the AH, I wouldn't back against it at this late stage, regardless of what ECM 12z predicts - (and I haven't even seen that yet!)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Indeed HC. I see GFS 12z has already downgraded the prospect of cold next week. In view of it not being far off the mark all winter, regarding the AH, I wouldn't back against it at this late stage, regardless of what ECM 12z predicts - (and I haven't even seen that yet!)

Time to put away the snow gear then. One unchristend snaw shovel, new snaw boots, salapets etc.

Grey wet, abeit it the wind has eased.

For all those in the NE, if you get clear skies.... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/26/planets-align-venus-jupiter-mercury-mars_n_1302719.html

Posted

Time to put away the snow gear then. One unchristend snaw shovel, new snaw boots, salapets etc.

Tell me about it, I bought a bloody snowblower!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

, regardless of what ECM 12z predicts - (and I haven't even seen that yet!)

Looks modestly chilly.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20120227/12/ecmt850.144.png

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20120227/12/ecmt850.240.png

Posted

Tell me about it, I bought a bloody snowblower!

I've just got back from a munro-bagging trip (five sisters of kintail and s Glenshiel ridge).....my crampons and iceaxe saw action for all of about 20mins!!

Plenty of wind and rain in NW highlands but a distinct lack of snow aside from the highest peaks.

post-1808-0-04227700-1330369689_thumb.jp

Posted

So it was you that jinxed it. Gah. Take this

I would GLADLY take that!! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I've just got back from a munro-bagging trip (five sisters of kintail and s Glenshiel ridge).....my crampons and iceaxe saw action for all of about 20mins!!

Plenty of wind and rain in NW highlands but a distinct lack of snow aside from the highest peaks.

post-1808-0-04227700-1330369689_thumb.jp

Looks like excellent Scottish skiing conditions to me. :winky:

Try climbing sideways rather than vertically if you want more snow action; we use that technique for maximising ski run durations. An uphill gale helps too... :good:

Posted

But you really wanted this ...

My missus did that last year, but with wellies on. :D

Anyone watch the Discovery channel last night. Showed you how Heathrow crumbled with 4 flakes, yet Edmonton Canada has only lost a few hours in 10 years, and countless feet of snaw, and with not that much more extra equipment, just the way it is used and manned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well , unused snaw blowers, unused snaw shovels and nae snaw angels - what is the winter coming to? I wonder if NL is right ? One last wee wintry blast just round the corner, just to remind us nature is the boss? Fingers crossed. x

An aside i see Australia has had an unusually cool summer too!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Currently 12.5c and a moderate W wind blowing

Just had back manipulated with osteopath. Feeling so much better just an occupational hazard every so often which makes me into a bear with a sore paw.

First pair of Oyster Catchers in the ploughed fields looking for a spring nesting sight and we can hear their calls this evening. However they will go back to the coast if the weather turns wintry again

On leaving for back appointment noticed that we had a nice aurora across the Firth to the north about 7.30pm.

Posted

But you really wanted this ...

Who the hell took that when I wasn't looking!

Posted

Hello all!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that the temperature at 10pm was 15.2C at Aboyne! Quite unbelievable really and I hope that the UK Record does go tomorrow. A mild end to a decent winter, if the winter was bad like 06/07 then tomorrow may be more of adding salt to the wounds but having temperatures like this is very interesting and I think late February is the best time to have any really mild weather as it can feel pretty pleasant as opposed to early January or Mid December. I do see that cold weather could be on the menu for Spring which would be nice - hopefully a really interesting time for weather is coming up and on the sunny and seasonal side.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Is that station playing up! 15.9c in February in the middle of the night? Amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

12.4c with increasingly blue skies around. It was warmer than this at midnight [12.8C]. Min around breakfast time was 11.1C.